TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Mass Effect trilogy remaster launches May 14

Mass Effect trilogy remaster launches May 14

The original announcement way back: https://blog.bioware.com/2020/11/07/happy-n7-day-4/
    EA page: https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect...endary-edition
    A Gameinformer article on what to expect: https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/02...endary-edition
    Just a smidge more critical Polygon article: https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/2/222...visuals-ending
    Fairly extensive PC Gamer article: https://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-...thing-we-know/

A few highlights I picked up reading about it:

* Launches for PC, PS4, XBox 1. Newer consoles via backwards compatibility.
    * Sticks to Unreal Engine 3.
    * Single game launcher for the whole trilogy.
    * No additional content or story changes.
    * DLC will be included except Pinnacle Station due to it having had its source code corrupted.
    * ME3 multiplayer will not be included due to it being too much work.
    * 4k, HDR, and widescreen support.
    * Visual improvements for all games (updated models, shaders, lighting, textures, etc).
    * Bug fixes across all games (having replayed the games not long ago, I would guess most of these are for the incredibly buggy ME1 and ME2, though)
    * Updated character creator to work across the games. They are also working on allowing imports from original games, with mixed success.
    * Consoles will have a choice between "favour framerate" and "favour quality".
    * Unified control scheme and HUD for all games.
    * More extensive gameplay, sound, visual and interface improvements for ME1 (MAKO controls, aiming, weapon balance, camera behaviour, squad AI, etc).
    * ME1 minigames scaled back / made easier.
    * Drastically shorter elevator sequences in ME1 and elevator banter has been made skippable.
    * ME2 paragon/renegade checks are tweaked to be more lenient.
    * Less focus on Miranda's butt in ME2 during regular story scenes (reducing the ass effect, if you will).

Also, speaking of asses, there's a short half-assed reveal trailer:

System requirements:

https://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-...too-demanding/

Minimum requirements for Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570 or AMD FX-8350
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760, AMD Radeon 7970 / R9280X GPU RAM: 2 GB Video Memory
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 120GB available space

Recommended requirements for Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 or AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 / RTX 200, Radeon Vega 56, GPU RAM: 4 GB Video Memory
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 120GB available space
    Last edited by Starker; 8th Feb 2021 at 07:41.

No Miranda camel toe, no play

I was already expecting people would crack jokes on a... divisive issue like this.

I can't believe they're catering to people who don't whack off over videogame characters.

We'll always have Glottis.

BANNED
    I've never played Mass Effect and know very little about it other than loads of people like it a lot.

What is the actual gameplay like? I'm assuming the plot, writing and voice acting is good quality.

Note - I tried Kotor and found the gameplay dull. a. f. , so if it's a party based bore-o-fest like that I'm out.

Level 10,000 achieved
    KOTOR's combat was the most like a traditional JRPG turn-based combat system out of all their games, but after that their combat systems got more and more hands-on and actiony, with Jade Empire and then Mass Effect. ME's combat is a straight up 3rd person cover shooter. It was fun at the time because we got an RPG with hands-on combat, but it'd probably be a bit simplistic by today's standards. The sequels did flesh it out a lot with more bionic powers and whatnot.

However ME made up for its so-so combat by having sections where you drive a spacetruck called the MAKO which everyone loved and agreed was great.

I loved the Mako. I hope the new version doesn't dumb it down too much. Then again, if the remasters suck I can always play the original ones.

Also Me1 and 3 to a lesser extent had some love for the little known game Starflight.

I don't know about 3, but the first game was directly inspired by it. At least according to the game's director Casey Hudson. And we wouldn't have had Star Control without it either, so a pretty seminal title, all things considered.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    I loved the Mako. I hope the new version doesn't dumb it down too much. Then again, if the remasters suck I can always play the original ones.
    You're doing it wrong, you're supposed to mewl about remakes destroying your childhood.

verbose douchebag
    ME1 gameplay was rudimentary, but worth it for the setting and plot, ME2 gameplay was decent and the setting / plot was great, ME3 had the best gameplay, but the setting and plot were less interesting than 2.
    Overall a fantastic trilogy, with a kind of damp squib ending.