TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last food you ate thread.

I made Gołąbki for my girlfriend yesterday! They're basically cabbage wraps with meat inside them, boiled in tomato sauce. I didn't take pictures so here's one stolen from gaagol:

fun fact: In Polish, Gołąbki means "little pigeons"
    Last edited by Yakoob; 16th Mar 2021 at 03:02.

ZylonBane
    That's cabbage, not lettuce. Those two vegetables are totally not interchangeable.

errr that's what I meant >_>

You can actually empirically test the substitutability of cabbage & lettuce by measuring their cross price elasticity. You take a lot of samples of the price of cabbage & lettuce, and that lets you measure their co-variance (change in supply of X / change in price of Y). So if you raise the price (lower the supply) of lettuce, if the price of cabbage also rises, then they're substitutable as people switch from more expensive lettuce to less expensive cabbage. But if the price of cabbage goes down, they're complementary goods. If people buy less lettuce, they'll also buy less cabbage because the two are typically bought together as a set. And if it's zero, then the two products are completely independent of each other. (Small technical caveat: it's usually not symmetric. I.e., raising the price of lettuce can make people buy/not buy cabbage at a different rate as raising the price of cabbage makes them behavior towards lettuce.)

So, all that set up, there's actually a paper that measures the cross price elasticity of a lot of vegetables vis-a-vis each other, including lettuce & cabbage, that gives us our empirical proof of whether lettuce & cabbage are mutually substitutable or not, and the answer is -- drum roll please .... : -0.1 lettuce to cabbage and -0.2 cabbage to lettuce.

As much as it pains me to admit -- a typical reaction to a ZB post! -- he's actually correct with his assessment, lettuce and cabbage or not only not substitutable, but complementary goods. People buy them as a set that comes together, presumably to make salads and whatnot with them together, but if you raise the price of either one of them, people will not only not move to the other one as a substitute, they'll even buy less of it (at least within a 0.1~0.2 margin, which is still pretty low) because what's even the point of one without the other...

I hope you've all learned something from this. I know I haven't really. ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄

Yakoob - I have some Polish in-laws so I've tried that before. The tomato sauce was made Italian style though. Where are you living these days?

Made some kimchi-jigae.

Napa cabbage, left over kimchi, tofu, sausage, lotsa onions.

Just trying to use all the perishable ingredients.

Focaccia; with a topping of basil, sage, rosemary, thyme, red onion, salt, and uncomfortably expensive olive oil. Very tasty, but I'm still struggling to replicate the perfect one I made last year, where the oil got infused into a slightly brittle top crust just right so it gets unleashed when you bite down.

OKAY! No need to get all emotional about it!! Gawd.

Anyway, my wife cooked the most delicious curry, then we had a nice walk and a spiraling fight about buying a new mattress. Now peanuts and beer.
    On the topic of mattresses though: Is there anything better than natural latex ones?

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Yakoob - I have some Polish in-laws so I've tried that before. The tomato sauce was made Italian style though. Where are you living these days?
    Seattle! Been trying to travel more lately but then, you know, the pandemic happened....

Fried softshell crab today.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Seattle! Been trying to travel more lately but then, you know, the pandemic happened....
    Ah, thought you might have bailed out of this country.

Seafood stew with orzo and cantaloupe.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Ah, thought you might have bailed out of this country.
    Sadly, my own homecountry of Poland isn't doing all that great either....... T_T

Last food you ate thread.

chicken tikka masala and keema naan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12