TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40

Thread: One Million Units Contest - RESULTS (Update: includes category rankings)

  1. #26
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2012
    Congratulations to Alcazar and a huge thank you to all of the other authors.

    Time for the walkthroughs including full lootlists, get them here.
    Last edited by fortuni; 2nd Mar 2021 at 08:00.

  2. #27
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2012
    Location: UK
    Congratulations to Schlock with "Alcazar" and all other authors - us players were certainly winners with all of your splendid FMs. Thanks to Brethren and Al_B. Great contest with hours of fabulous sneaky exploration.

  3. #28
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2018
    Thanks everyone who played Alcazar for the kind words and favorable votes, and of course thanks to my fellow authors who participated. There were a lot of great entries this contest so it was fun to speculate about how the final ranking would turn out. I was unsure how my mission would be received until I actually started getting feedback, so it's very gratifying to have made it to first place. I guess the last-minute 3 A.M. debugging sessions were worth it

    I'll be working on Alcazar v1.1 soon, which will include some bug fixes and a French translation courtesy of Apiai. No guarantees when it'll be done.

    Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    I am shocked to see DrK did the Cinder Notes. I did not see that coming at all! Skacky was a bit more understandable. But what are you guys doing making contest missions, when you should be working on the Black Parade?!
    Working on the contest got me out of a major rut with the Black Parade. Aside from that Alcazar update, I will be focusing on TBP until it is released.

  4. #29
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2003
    Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas!
    Congrats to the winner and to all the contestants these were some of the finest missions i have ever played!!

  5. #30
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2010
    Location: Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post

    Psych0sis, you have certainly increased your level with each entry, and to do it in 10 days is just crazy. And after listening to this podcast and the one from the T2 contest, you certainly are a good liar. (Is that a good quality?)
    He is, and he gets us everytime...and I even joked about it again..like hehehe this could be you Psych0sis xD and since this is thief...hiding and lieing is a quality I guess!

  6. #31
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2010
    Location: Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    Congrats to the winner and to all the contestants these were some of the finest missions i have ever played!!
    don't get me wrong but you haven't played many FMs? in the restrictions of the contest we got great missions...even better then I expected but in over 20years of FMs?

  7. #32
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2014
    I would say we've got bunch of high quality missions which itself is simply amazing. It is one of the best "small-sized" contests for me. For me Alcazar also was the best (with Leaves and Eastport coming 2nd and 3rd), but I want to thank everyone involved and especially Pookaball with his first mission.

  8. #33
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Supremcee View Post
    don't get me wrong but you haven't played many FMs? in the restrictions of the contest we got great missions...even better then I expected but in over 20years of FMs?
    I can honestly say I'd count Alcazar and A Midsummer's Night Heist among my all-time favorites, and I think The Cinder Notes and Turning of the Leaves are bona fide classics.

    I heard your comment in the podcast about how the size restriction made it so that the best these missions could be was "average" (or something like that -- I apologize if I'm slightly misquoting you) and man, I gotta disagree hard.

    Brilliant, all-time greats can be small.

    Narrative, immersion, atmosphere, connectivity, balance and pacing don't require a mission to be large. In some cases larger missions can do more with narrative and immersion -- but not always -- and sometimes otherwise brilliant missions overstay their welcome and start to feel like work before you finish them. The bigger and longer the mission becomes, the more difficult it can be to manage gameplay balance and pacing, and the more difficult it can be to sustain narrative urgency.

    (It's another separate discussion, but there's a whole world of thought and discussion in all forms of art for how restrictions and limitations often inspire greater creativity.)

    (And yeah, yeah, yeah it's not the size it's how you use it yada yada yada...)

  9. #34
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2007
    Location: Cragscleft, Bedfordshire, Eng.
    Well done to all authors for your hard work..
    Didn't play the winning mission - I don't bother with Gold anymore. But I enjoyed all the others.

  10. #35
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2017
    Location: France
    Well that seems silly. Some of the best missions I have ever played have been made for Gold. Not sure why you wouldn't play them.

  11. #36
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2003
    Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth
    I echo your statement, Psych0sis.

  12. #37
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2003
    Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Supremcee View Post
    don't get me wrong but you haven't played many FMs? in the restrictions of the contest we got great missions...even better then I expected but in over 20years of FMs?
    I have been here on this forum for 18 years and have played just about all the FM's. What I was saying is these were high quality missions and a joy to play.

  13. #38
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2002
    Location: Germany
    Congrats to Schlock for making first place (Alcazar was also my favorite mission in the contest - I absolutely love it!) but the "top dogs" were very close.
    This was a great contest so hats off to the organizers, too!

  14. #39
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2010
    Location: Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    I can honestly say I'd count Alcazar and A Midsummer's Night Heist among my all-time favorites, and I think The Cinder Notes and Turning of the Leaves are bona fide classics.

    I heard your comment in the podcast about how the size restriction made it so that the best these missions could be was "average" (or something like that -- I apologize if I'm slightly misquoting you) and man, I gotta disagree hard.

    Brilliant, all-time greats can be small.

    Narrative, immersion, atmosphere, connectivity, balance and pacing don't require a mission to be large. In some cases larger missions can do more with narrative and immersion -- but not always -- and sometimes otherwise brilliant missions overstay their welcome and start to feel like work before you finish them. The bigger and longer the mission becomes, the more difficult it can be to manage gameplay balance and pacing, and the more difficult it can be to sustain narrative urgency.

    (It's another separate discussion, but there's a whole world of thought and discussion in all forms of art for how restrictions and limitations often inspire greater creativity.)

    (And yeah, yeah, yeah it's not the size it's how you use it yada yada yada...)
    To quote one "sentence" from a 3,5h discussion and sell it as my spot on opinion on the contest missions is a bit cheap (but great to know that you listened to the episode thx) . Yeah within the contest we got mostly great, impressive or at least good to average missions. that is impressive but as you said it's always about dimensions etc. Seen in history of FMs, some of the missions are outstanding for what they are but would in most cases maybe fall in the midfield if you throw in all the great FMs we got over all the years. this is nothing bad and of course a question of very personal taste etc. Within the contest we got amazing stuff to play but in perspective I personally could tell you countless missions I would play before revisiting the contest missions. not because they are average for what they could be, no most are great but they fall to average maybe under certain points of view. but I agree this is a endless discussion. what I can say, that the overall quality of the missions in this contest was very high. So I don't want to make the contest missions smaller than they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    I have been here on this forum for 18 years and have played just about all the FM's. What I was saying is these were high quality missions and a joy to play.
    yep they were, but this is a totally different statement than saying "best missions every played", so sorry if I got you wrong there

  15. #40
    New Member
    Registered: May 2018
    Location: Hungary
    Congrats to every participant! It's good to see that people still like Thief Gold and Thief 2 enough to create missions for it... and oh my God, I like to play Thief missions .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •