TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Levels to get people hooked.

I've tried, unsuccessfully, to get my kids (in their early 20's) into the Thief games. I always assumed that they should begin with the OMs and then take it from there if they were interested. I even got one of them to install the Dark Mod and suggest they try "Requiem" (by Moonbo, I believe) as a starter. To this point, I've had no luck.

For me personally, it was GodBreaker that got me into FMs, but I already had much experience from playing the OMs many times previously.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Heist Society
    This would be my pick. It has the broadest appeal I can think of: it's a big ol' nonlinear mansion to rob, there are only human enemies and a security system to deal with, and it's still visually impressive today. Oh, and it has a fill-in-as-you-go map, and it plays differently based on the difficulty you choose, too. It's hardly the most ambitious concept the FM community has come up with, but it's a great demo of how good the community is at delivering "that particular thing you like about Thief, only bigger and better".

Maybe to test their interest in tomb-raiding, traps, puzzles, and riddles, I would suggest Eshaktaar's Keyhunt. I expect it would be polarizing, but it's very focused, and it's a good demo of the adventure game-style elements you see in a lot of FMs. Other than that, I don't know. There are enough distinct flavors of FMs that it really depends on what the player likes (or dislikes) the most about the OMs. I can't think of any safe bets.
    Last edited by Wormrat; 6th Mar 2021 at 00:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer2112 View Post
    I've tried, unsuccessfully, to get my kids (in their early 20's) into the Thief games. I always assumed that they should begin with the OMs and then take it from there if they were interested. I even got one of them to install the Dark Mod and suggest they try "Requiem" (by Moonbo, I believe) as a starter. To this point, I've had no luck.

For me personally, it was GodBreaker that got me into FMs, but I already had much experience from playing the OMs many times previously.
    My middle daughter played the FMs for a while...she loved Rose Cottage.... she's 18 now and doesn't play games anymore, drama teen stuff ya know...

Quote Originally Posted by vincentlancon View Post
    My middle daughter played the FMs for a while...she loved Rose Cottage.... she's 18 now and doesn't play games anymore, drama teen stuff ya know...
    Give it time. She may find she has a Thief phase in her later years. The game is like a fine wine: it gets better with time and as the community ups the ante in the FM quality bar.

My wife bought me TDP in 1998 when I was having a very bad week at work. I looked at the box and thought it was weird. A few nights later I was up playing until the wee hours.

Our 3 kids all played. Recently, 2 of our kids bought TG on Steam and both said it was still a great game and has held up well.

Esse’s description that it is like a fine wine in a perfect analogy.

bbb

bbb that's one of the greatest gifts a spouse could get... nice .... I got mine as a pack in with a video card.

I've also noticed a lot of young taffers getting in because of the new Thief game. Now, I think we've all said what we've all said about the most recent Thief title, but that doesn't mean all people don't enjoy it (or at least like it in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way). People who want a similar experience but stronger writing might be drawn to the older games, and fan missions that capture the feel, aesthetic and colour palette of the newest game might entice newbies as well. Fans of Dishonored might also enjoy levels that have Dishonored's dark, swashbuckling kind of vibe in any FMs shown to them.

I used to think Rowena's Curse was the most ideally crafted FM, and then Ominous Bequest.
    They're both set in mansions, so not so sprawling as their respective sequels, and they both tell such great stories and the levels are well designed.

The FM that sticks in my imagination the most was Emilie Victor. The start of it was just okay, but by the whole part leading up to and into Emilie's world was fantastic.
    So I guess those three.

But I also agree with Taylor if I were actually thinking about this seriously. Usually the best gateway into the whole scene is playing the FMs of a contest. They're bite sized, but they're also usually packed with good gameplay and interesting ideas. I personally was originally drawn in by a contest too. Well, I'm not a good representative case because I was making my own FMs just off of dromed & the tutorial from the T2 CD long before I knew anyone else was doing it too. But I still think the general point stands that contests are probably the best gateways into the FM world.

The Tower by Lady R

- Godbreaker
    - Mission X
    - Into the Odd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12