TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Night Falcon - NewDark Revision

The Night Falcon - NewDark Revision

I like Christine's missions: they are beautiful, intuitive and there are just so many of them. But many problems spoil the impression.
    The main issues in the campaign relate to sound propagation, lack of or poorly tuned ambients and bad lighting contrast (all of the things we love Thief for).
    Recently I wanted to replay all of Christine's campaigns and this time I decided to redo and improve everything that needs it. I was satisfied with the result and then asked Christine if I could share this rework with other players, and she said yes.

Download: The Night Falcon - NewDark Revision

Changes:

- Fixed sound propagation (room brushing).
    - Added the original game musical and secondary ambients to areas where it was absent.
    - Reduced the value of ambient light to create a better atmosphere.
    - 8-sided archways are replaced with 16-sided ones.
    - 32-bit lightmaps.
    - Musical ambients with no flag replaced on Environmental.
    - Added wind and crickets with NoSharpCurve flag to open areas.
    - Added secrets to where they should be (added FindSecretTrap objects).
    - Added additional lights on the windows.
    - Added properties Block vision and Block frob to some objects depending on the situation.
    - Fixed shading on custom models.
    - Fixed UV on custom stove.
    - Fixed the sound of large doors in mission 2.
    - Fixed a bug with the disappearance of large doors in mission 2.
    - Fixed texture alignment on BSP stairs and shelves.
    - Fixed collisions of some objects (invisible physical dimensions).
    - Replacing the material on red armchairs and sofas.
    - Added NoSharpCurve flag to all fountain and pool sounds (decreases volume).
    - Sleeping NPCs are almost deaf and do not react to cracking chests, opening doors or moving the player nearby (except jumping and fighting).
    - Some guards in mission 2 have their hearing reduced by one level so that they do not react when doors are opened.
    - Added Extra Light and Dynamic Light properties on Frost Burricks for better atmosphere.
    - Added original German version.
    - Added Russian translation.

Improved contast and additional lights:

Rounded archways:

Fixed texture alignment on stairs:

More screenshots:

Lord Ashton also underwent intensive care. I'll share it if I see community interest in fixing old fan missions.

Content shown in screenshots:
    High Poly Mod
    Enhancement Pack 2
    Last edited by Soul Tear; 10th Mar 2021 at 05:52. Reason: Version update (Fixed English)

that is amazing i always wanted a lot of the better missions to get a newdark update

thank you for the hard work

Thank you Soul Tear

Sound interesting, love Christine's campaigns so more than keen to see what improvement you have made, including turning the brightness down.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Tear View Post
    Added secrets to where they should be (added FindSecretTrap objects).
    Wow, just d/l and checked and you've added 33 secrets, couldn't believe so many secrets were missing from this campaign, always wondered why Christine had so few secrets in her missions and it was all down to not adding FindSecretTrap commands. Well that's more than a good enough reason for me to replay the whole campaign so I can post updated loot lists, but not my priority atm, but will do once I have finished 2020 walkthoughs.

Also does playing without High Poly Mod & Enhancement Pack 2 make much of a difference to your update? I know about EP2 but don't usually play T2 with it installed, but never bothered with High Poly Mod so don't even know where to d/l it.
    Last edited by fortuni; 3rd Mar 2021 at 17:38.

Seeing this post was a great surprise.

Personally, I hoped more reworked missions would be released. So many older missions could use some TLC. It's been awhile since playing this, so look forward to it the weekend.

Thank you Soul Tear & Christine

Popped in to find an FM to play - and here we are! Thanks, Soul Tear and Christine. Giving an older, yet wonderful FM a lick of paint is good news

@Soul Tear - FYI - playing the English version and the maps/notes pages are in Russian (looked at 1st three missions - all Russian). Thanks.
    Last edited by Bosh; 4th Mar 2021 at 06:05.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Thank you Soul Tear
    Wow, just d/l and checked and you've added 33 secrets, couldn't believe so many secrets were missing from this campaign, always wondered why Christine had so few secrets in her missions and it was all down to not adding FindSecretTrap commands. Well that's more than a good enough reason for me to replay the whole campaign so I can post updated loot lists, but not my priority atm, but will do once I have finished 2020 walkthoughs.
    I have connected secret traps to all torchlevers, bookbuttons, tiny switches, etc. Playing with secrets is much more interesting - every time you hear this magical sound and feel that you have done something important.

Also does playing without High Poly Mod & Enhancement Pack 2 make much of a difference to your update? I know about EP2 but don't usually play T2 with it installed, but never bothered with High Poly Mod so don't even know where to d/l it.

I just pointed out these mods in case someone is interested, you can play without any of them. I have not added any custom resources.

I´m playing this campaign for the first time, another one that i missed, i´m enjoying it so far ,but i can see how this is very green and harder compared to what Christine can do nowadays.

Oh awesome! I have played all of christine´s missions twice already so if they get a rework like that Ima go and replay them for a third time! I think it´s great that you also add the "found secret command", since it was sth. that I was really missing from Christine´s wonderful missions

Quote Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
    @Soul Tear - FYI - playing the English version and the maps/notes pages are in Russian (looked at 1st three missions - all Russian). Thanks.
    Thanks, fixed.

I also added a German translation.

Your addition of the FindSecretTraps is excellent, played about half of campaign so far and all of the new secrets are hidden rooms or items of loot that players would have previously wondered why it wasn't flagged as a secret, they make the campaign so much better fun.

I'm also playing vanilla, I found the d/l link for your High Poly mod, but thought I would play vanilla first, and although I'm no expert in these matters the whole campaign looks a lot better and crisper but not that massively different unless you look carefully for differences between the original and the ND version, so if players wish to see the campaign as shown in Soul Tears screenshots above, installing the High Poly mod and EP2 is recommended.

Overall an excellent reworking of the classic campaign, your work is very much appreciated, I would certainly like the opportunity of playing your reworked version of Lord Ashton campaign.

Thanks Soul Tear. What a great excuse to replay this campaign!

Those vampires not hearing me on the marble floor was something I rather liked...

Thanks for the hard work Soul, I will greatly enjoy this masterpiece.
    And thank you Christine for permitting it's release!

Quote Originally Posted by ValmontPhl View Post
    Those vampires not hearing me on the marble floor was something I rather liked...

Thanks for the hard work Soul, I will greatly enjoy this masterpiece.
    And thank you Christine for permitting it's release!
    No problems! In fact, it was not hard work. I would call it - intellectual relaxation. I just played as usual and when I met a problem area, I quickly minimized the game and make changes in Dromed.
    This way I get to work with both campaigns pretty quickly. In the process of Mountain Monastery and the Curse of the Night Falcon, I just hope my batteries last until I finish this.

Hey Soul Tear is it normal for the maps to be in a language other than English?

I just checked the original and the maps are in English.
    Last edited by pwl; 4th Mar 2021 at 19:07.

Anything Christine authored is enjoyable to me and getting a nice NewDark polishing from Soul Tear just makes it that much sweeter! Your efforts are very much appreciated!! Thank you! I look forward to diving in tonight...

hinndog

This is my first post, have been lurking for a while, but Soul Tear's generosity forced me out of the shadows!

Soul Tear thank you so much for doing this. Bolshoi spasebo! :-) That was a very community-focused gesture.

I think many people would also enjoy the new Lord Ashton version too! (if you find the time)

Also, if anybody has not seen Soul Tear's Keeper of Infinity, it's absolutely amazing. Watch a youtube playthrough maybe.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this!
    Last edited by hinndog; 6th Mar 2021 at 11:33.

also i would love to see a massive update to "ruins of originia" series

Downloaded and eager to run a re-play through to enjoy all the differences, this was something I never expected to see improved so it is a very big surprise, thank you for all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    Hey Soul Tear is it normal for the maps to be in a language other than English?

I just checked the original and the maps are in English.
    I have updated the link. English, German and Russian - all maps in their own languages.

Nice job, will upload this to taffers when I get in from work.

NICE !!!

Can't wait to play this! I hope that all the AI and objects are the same old school to keep the good part of the original experience.

Also, for me, all the Christine missions (especially the snowy ones) have a special place in my heart/mind: they bring up good memories, when I was a lot younger and played these missions on winter nights back at my family home, and it was really cosy and calm at the same time.

Incorrect sound propagation is what bothered me the most about Christine's missions. They are excellent and beautiful missions, but hearing a guard on the other side of a two foot stone wall and things like that always broke immersion for me. I can't wait to play this rework.

Updated link - fixed english version, thanks to Mat99.

All typos and inconsistencies have been repaired/corrected already.

- Tiny issues in Objectives (typos included) - corrected
    - Whole bunch of typos in many STRs in the BOOK\English folder - corrected
    - Unnecessary white spaces + s out of quote-characters - corrected
    - broken line wrappings - corrected
    - broken readables (lack of "Page_NEXT" (or text out of page) + the opposite situation:
    readable spread on 2 pages when only one is enough - all repaired/corrected
    - tons of inconsistencies in dots, pauses, minuses, ellipsis, alignments, double-spaces, etc. - corrected
    - typos and mistakes in OBJDESCS.STR and OBJNAMES.STR - repaired and corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Can't wait to play this! I hope that all the AI and objects are the same old school to keep the good part of the original experience.
    Yes, I haven't changed these things in NF. Although there were still some changes that I did not indicate in change list, to be honest I do not even remember everything that was there.
    For example, I added windows in blind rooms. It was rather strange when there were no windows in the large luxury apartments.

Nevertheless, in Lord Ashton I took more liberties. I kept the Christine's concept on Normal and added some changes for the AIs on Hard and Expert (additional guards in empty locations, reduced the count of equipment).
    But I will write more about this in the corresponding topic later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast