TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Dromed newbie -- looking at classic fms in editor

hinndog

Dromed newbie -- looking at classic fms in editor

Hi there, total newb question, and sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but have not come across it yet.

My 11 year old daughter is pretty artistic and also likes video games.

Was toying around with the idea of learning the basics of dromed so she could get a taste of video game creation.

I was happy to see a recent post mentioning a most important thing is to view other author fms in dromed to see how they've done it.

This strikes me as a very good idea, being a developer myself.

One question I had was, if I'm viewing, say, Rocksbourg in dromed, does that mean by default I would have access to all the textures and objects -- custom or otherwise -- that DrK himself used to make that fm?

If the answer is yes, which I hope, obviously I'm aware that if we ever actually made real progress and wanted to put something out there, we would contact the author about using their textures/objects and include credit in the readme, etc.

Also, how would one know which textures/objects in Rocksbourg are DrK's, and therefore need crediting/permission, versus stock or commonly used items that don't require credit?

Thank you!

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by hinndog View Post
    One question I had was, if I'm viewing, say, Rocksbourg in dromed, does that mean by default I would have access to all the textures and objects -- custom or otherwise -- that DrK himself used to make that fm?
    How could you NOT have access to them? To run the FM, they have to be on your computer. If they're on your computer... you have access to them.

I believe that was my post you are alluding to. Yes, looking at well-made FMs is a fabulous way to learn about DromEding.

As ZB so helpfully explained, the assets are on your computer. They're in the .zip folder for the FM. Custom textures for terrain will be in the "fam" folder, and custom objects (along with their textures) will be in the "obj" folder. If the FM is installed in the same directory you're DromEding from, DromEd should be able to find them automatically.

Of course, having access to them for your personal use is different from having access for creating your own FM. Most everyone will allow others to use their assets (with credit given) but it's good to make sure before releasing anything for the public.

P.S. Welcome to the TTLG forums! Please don't be perturbed by ZB's caustic reply- he's like that with everyone.

hinndog
    Very helpful trefoilknot, thank you for your gracious response.

I actually pm'd Tannar earlier to see if he could delete my initial thread since I realized that there are only like 10 total threads in this forum (at least that I can see). Didn't think it was a worthy enough thread to take up 1/10th of the board space lol.

But thank you, and much obliged!

ZylonBane
    Uh, there are literally thousands of threads in this forum. You're only seeing the ones from this month.

hinndog
    Thanks for the heads up ZB, that explains it ;-)

Think you and I are going to be best friends lol.

And per your earlier comment, I don't have access to everything in my computer (hidden/restricted files, etc), so I thought it was a fair, albeit newb-ish question.

ZylonBane
    Are you sure you're a developer?

hinndog
    Wow. I'm surprised the moderators tolerate the venom and ill will you consistently spread.

Great way to encourage new members and keep this forum alive and growing.

Yeah, he’s awful. He gets the kid gloves moderating treatment since he’s been here since 2000, I guess... just ignore him would be my advice most of the posters here are much more helpful/friendly. Happy taffing!

(I don’t tend to follow my own advice, of course. My moral compulsion to step in when I see jerks being jerks...)

ZylonBane
    If you think a bland question like that qualifies as "venom", well... welcome to the internet. Wear a helmet.

hinndog
    I wasn't referring to any particular comment but rather your 20 year history of sowing discord and general meanness on the forums, as attested to by the comments on your profile page.

ZB's actually quite intelligent and has made thousands of wonderful contributions to the forum but sometimes he can also be a right tosser.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    ZB's actually quite intelligent
    No one is accusing him of being stupid. I don't have any evidence to confirm nor refute the claim that he's "quite intelligent" (I wouldn't have guessed that, myself), but whether he’s intelligent or not is entirely beside the point.

[ZB] has made thousands of wonderful contributions to the forum
    Please. Maybe if we go back many years. The only thing of his I've ever found helpful is his "NVRelayTrap for Dummies" file. I refer to it occasionally when I rig up more complicated traps. (And to my knowledge, he didn't even post it on ttlg. He posted it at systemshock.org- so does it even count?)

He’s clearly a net negative, these days. By a massive margin. You're kidding yourself if you suggest otherwise. This thread is completely emblematic of his presence on the forums. Notice that he made four posts, and every single one has two defining characteristics: (1) it does not provide any actionable guidance; and (2) it is dripping with snide condescension. I can think of over a dozen instances just like this.

but sometimes [sic] he can also be a right tosser
    I’m not British, but as I understand it, being a “right tosser” is pretty mild. I can think of much more apt terms for him, which I won’t use here.

But seriously, how is this something we can tolerate? Someone new joins a 20+ year old forum, and in one of their first ten posts, asks for tech guidance that might help their 11 year old daughter start using DromEd. This sounds like something we should be celebrating and encouraging. It would take about 2 minutes to actually give a substantive and useful answer to OP's question (which I did). But instead, Captain Buzzkill decides to waltz in here and try his hardest to make it a miserable experience (and get defended for doing so, SlyFoxx?!). In what possible world is this a-ok?
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 31st Mar 2021 at 08:44.

It's pretty much garden variety superiority complex. Knock others down to make you feel better about yourself.

He forgets that he's not on reddit so he's still in a "post epic quips for upvotes!" mindset on here sometimes . Just ignore him.

WRT the topic at hand, yes you would technically have all the files on your computer, but if you were to just run dromed and open up the mission without putting the resources into the root of your install, it will all come up jorge/placeholder models which isn't really helpful for viewing purposes haha. You'd have to drag them into the root but don't do this. Better alternative is to open the mission with FMSEL like you would if you were playing a fan mission normally, just use Dromed.exe instead of thief.exe and the same window will pop up, then select the mission you wish the see from the list.

Make sure there's no ; in front of the line "fm" like seen here at the bottom -> https://i.imgur.com/C0HyOBh.png . I only mention this because it's good practice to have dromed installs separated from where you play the game normally (I have about 10 different installs nowadays ) and sometimes this option gets set back to commented when updating t2fix.

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time learning dromed, even if just to float around and get inspired!
    Last edited by Psych0sis; 1st Apr 2021 at 00:13.

hinndog
    Thanks so much PsychOsis! Really appreciate the info and will put that to use.

Also, you guys might not agree with this, but I've asked Yandros to deactivate my account. Gonna start a fresh anonymous one. Don't want to be known as the new fella who started a war lol.

So if I don't respond in the future, that's why. I'll be here, but with a new name I guess.

Really appreciate you all chiming in and making me feel welcome after a rocky start! :-)

You don't need to start a new account. If everyone who got accosted by ZB had to do that, we'd run out of usernames.

I agree that there's something unusual about the way ZB is treated by moderators on this forum. Normally people get warnings and bans for much lower volume of offensive posts. But I suspect there must be something appealing in his ratty comments. I really see no reason for ZB being banned for a certain duration of time.

I do recall actually some useful stuff he posted in here, but that's only a tiny fraction of his posts. And no matter how useful his contributions were they just don't counter balance his offensive behavior as those things belong to two different domains, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by hinndog
    Also, you guys might not agree with this, but I've asked Yandros to deactivate my account. Gonna start a fresh anonymous one. Don't want to be known as the new fella who started a war lol.
    Yeah, definitely strange decision. If there's any action taken towards ZB as a result, you'll be standing in the line of heroes in this "war"!

BTW, I'm USA but have seen so much British TV (python, red dwarf, top gear etc.) that I tend to use their particular vernacular often. It's a nice change of pace from the typical USA stuff. The brits just seem a bit better at it than us yanks. [back to topic] sorry.

I think that while ZB is caustic in his writing, he doesn't ever step further into truly personal attacks, and that may be why he doesn't get disciplined. He walks right up to the line but doesn't actually cross it. IMHO.

All this stuff about ZB is getting in the way of the thread.

Regarding the subject of this thread:
    Looking at other FMs is good for ideas, but when you're just starting out, I think also trying to use its resources could lead to more confusion. File management will be a pain when (assuming) you want to clean up the folders.

It's best to start with an empty folder and focus on getting the hang of the basics.

What program are you using to manage FMs? Best to use AngelLoader and it uses the new way of managing them, which makes it very easy to switch between FMs and even to have two or more open at once (e.g. your own FM, and another FM to look at for ideas)

hinndog
    Glad you mentioned AngelLoader, R Soul. Thatís what I've been using to load fms up until now. Was under the impression that for some reason fmsel was more suited to DromEding, and am fine switching to that, but am looking forward to upcoming Angelloader dark mode feature.

Another idea is to load the original missions in the missions folder into dromed. That way you won't have to worry about moving resources around. At least this way you can see how missions are made in general.

hinndog
    Will definitely try that. Good tip!