TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A century of illustrative and cover art.

Some stuff I found going through my vintage comics

I got this printed Eric Stanton calendar for the year 2000 from my first boss, when I was working for an ad agency. I did a lot of cutting 4 colour films for print with an exacto knife. Once I managed to cut off a part of my index finger and the boss took me upstairs to a doctor in the same building. The doctor was a gynecologist, but he still knew how to bandage a finger. I want to say that boss was an arrogant prick, but he took me to a CAN concert (boring) and introduced me to Jonathan Richman and well Eric Stanton. That prick had great taste anyway.

Stanton was clearly obsessed with dominant women and drew a lot of them in a lot more explicit situations than this one. His stories also inspired the song Sweet Sweet Gwendoline (if any Ärzte fans are around).

Johnny The Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez (postcard from 1998)
    I became aware of Johnny because the devs of System Shock 2 were fans and managed a cameo for noodle boy.

Well I wasn't an Ärzte fan but I am now. And I bet Stanton's mother is a touchy subject for him. That one looks as if it could have been entitled "worst mistake". The fellow reminded me of a Waterhouse painting.

Waterhouse is one of my favorites. The way he captures women is lovely (maybe not those women). It's the gestures I think. They are the very pinnacle of art no matter who paints them.

Here's a cover from one of the many pulpy paperbacks my old man had. Seared into my brain as a young boy. Don't know the artist.

Frazetta did quite a few of these types of covers too:

Or Conan of course. These are two of my favourites:

So dynamic. Other artist's since might have been more detailed in their rendering, but I don't think anyone has captured the feel of this type of thing quite so well.

Molly Hatchet also was fond of Frazetta. Several featured him on the album covers.

Had he been alive they would have chosen him over Boris Vallejo for this one I bet.

I was probably going to post about him anyway, but album covers is a good segue way to M.C. Escher. Of course, he never wanted to be on them, but is anyway. Pretty much defined an entire genre of image making all by himself. I love that he was self-assured enough to say no to both Mick Jagger and Stanley Kubrick.

http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuille...-album-covers/
    https://sites.google.com/site/davidb...er-art---music

Here is a fun little link about Escher inspired stuff in comics:
    http://www.comicscube.com/2011/07/escher-in-comics.html

Some of my favourites:

'Another World'

'Vitorchiano nel Cimino', Early Woodcut from Italian Period:

'Tower of Babel':

'Snakes', his last print. Might as well go out in style. Virtuoso printmaking:

That last Escher looks very Celtic. He was certainly very popular in the sixties and very imitated. My high school art teacher was very big on pushing him because she knew what I drew on my own when there was no instruction. This is my favorite of his, which I'm sure everyone has seen-

And imitated here-

And I'm sure many other places. Now that I think about it Night Gallery ended with a very haunting Escheresque scene.

I ran across this page with some interesting and some amusing takes on the sphere drawing- https://line.17qq.com/articles/gnfnnshny.html
    Last edited by Tocky; 6th May 2021 at 22:01.

I never realised how steeped in this tradition Josh Kirby was until I saw some of these images. Of course it makes sense that he would parody them for Discworld, but I only just discovered that he produced a lot of conventional sf/horror art too.

With movie posters the usual tell was that the worse the movie the more well drawn the poster. Movies like The Exorcist, Alien, and Rosemary's Baby were all fairly bland. There were exceptions. This is quite possibly the best horror poster ever. The movie itself is among the top five vampire movies ever.

And of course this one by one of my favorite artists-

Thanks for making this thread, Tocky! When I was in graduate school I often went to "Conan's Pizza," whose walls and tables were completely covered by Frazetta prints. Seeing his artwork here was a nice hit of nostalgia.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 13th May 2021 at 11:16.

I've never even seen Creepshow, but Romero + King + Tom Savini + Leslie Neilsen ought to be a winner.

Oddly enough I've been getting into Stephen King over the last few months. A good few decades late to that particular party I know, but he's great. Just finished 'Night Shift' (his first collection of short stories; it's fantastic) and thinking of tackling 'Salem's Lot' next. Was reading the author's introduction and his idea was 'combining a classic Vampire horror like Dracula with the EC comics I loved as a kid' to create a new type of great modern American Horror novel. So of course I thought of this thread.

I can keep going for a while on this thread, if nobody minds

Stephen Bisette
    Penciled on the legendary run on Swamp Thing with Alan Moore. Also did illustrations on Palladium's 'Beyond The Supernatural' RPG.
    https://nofspodcast.com/graphic-rebo...ed-swamp-thing

Keith Parkinson
    More Images. Rifts Cover:

The Art of DragonLance:

The Hand of Chaos:

Fire Sea:
    Last edited by zacharias; 13th May 2021 at 05:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Thanks for making this thread, Tocky! When I was in graduate school I often went to "Conan's Pizza," whose walls and tables were completely covered by Frazetta prints. Seeing his artwork here was a nice hit of nostalgia.
    You might like to know that the "Egyptian Queen" painting I posted of his recently sold for 5.8 million. A shame he couldn't get that kind of money in his lifetime.

And hell yes, zacharias, keep going. That's what it's here for. There were a lot of excellent plain old comic covers. And don't expect any profound scares from Creepshow, just good old horror fun. I've enjoyed a lot of King stories over the years. He rarely reaches brilliance (though I defy anyone to say Shawshank Redemption isn't just that) but he is always interesting.

Wrightson-

I have this one signed by Barbeau.

I have this one signed by Reggie Bannister.

Plain old comics.

Last edited by Tocky; 21st May 2021 at 01:36.

They may not be well drawn but I find a lot of these interesting and amusing.

Last edited by Tocky; 13th May 2021 at 22:25.

Some of you may have seen the Blade movies. Blade was a secondary character in Vampire Tales which came out in the early seventies and featured Morbius the reluctant vampire. Morbius reminded me of Carol in the Walking Dead series in that he didn't want to have to kill you and he tried so hard not to but you made him so he slaughtered you, your family, and the whole village and felt bad about it. Just after ripping your head off and holding your body above his head to drain it's blood into his mouth he felt really bad. Poor Morbius. He could never keep a friend for long. Someone always killed them and he... well he killed everyone else as happened in issue #9.

In that issue was a Russ Heath story called Blood Lunge that I enjoyed for the art and story. It was only five pages but I needn't post the first two for you to get the story.

Simple story but amusing if you can keep your eyes from straying ahead. The original artwork was up for sale some years ago but way out of my league. Anyway the covers sometimes had nothing to do with any of the stories and sometimes just flat out telegraphed the ending of the Morbius story. I guess I was a blood and boobies sort of adolescent.

I can relate. I, too, feel bad when I slaughter an entire community over minor offenses.

Les Edwards is fucking amazing.

Those are awesome.

And of course my favorite artist, my daughter-

"Migraine".

This one I dubbed "Saint Fatlip". It's after a real pic of me.

A mural in Houston.

My mom holding my youngest granddaughter.

My mom after the birthday of my oldest sister. Also based on a picture taken.

Tongue in cheek about some girls she knew growing up but it does say something. It's titled "too many uncles".

I like what this says.

I think this one is "not impressed".

"suicide".

I better quit before I break the forum.
    Last edited by Tocky; 6th Jun 2021 at 15:28.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12