TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TG FM - Whispers Below the Cobblestone (2021-05-13) - Updated to v1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Calibrator View Post
    Also:
    Is it correct that there are blue textures in the pagan temple (where the hand is) and in the Guldenburg estate (near the grave of the wife)?
    (I played it with TFix 1.26a which never gave me trouble before.)
    I didn't see any blue texture in this mission and info in 1st post mention that requirement is version 1.27 or higher, so maybe that's the problem.

Awesome mission! Finished it with 4230 loot & no hints in just unter four hours.

The architecture is obviously very similar to Melan's and Skacky's masterpieces and that's a major plus for city mission lovers like me.
    The "big thing" about this mission is of course the Underworld area, though, which I found very mazey and chaotic - but in a good way.
    I loved backtracking in this one to find out what I could find in the other direction.

Minor nitpicks:
    - No torches: Either I was too blind or there simply weren't any! While this could've been plausible in the "mission logic" it was extremely dark in places and I hoped to see more of the beauty of the level.
    - I also thought that the readables were rather short and for the most part not very interesting - and the main "players" could've been fleshed out a bit more as these types are often corrupt/criminal/deviant etc.
    - I agree with Galaer that there could've been more loot (but not necessarily three times as much) or at least more stuff in this grand architecture.
    - Alternatively, some "special" stuff (like secrets (are there any?), switches, mysterious notes, rare books or some that explain & expand aspects of the gameworld -- similar to the bathhouse note but not as public of course).
    - Perhaps I missed some secret areas but I sometimes had the feeling that there is a missed opportunity for object placement.

Also:
    Is it correct that there are blue textures in the pagan temple (where the hand is) and in the Guldenburg estate (near the grave of the wife)?
    (I played it with TFix 1.26a which never gave me trouble before.)

All in all a terrific mission and I think this will become a classic in short time! Thank you for filling four hours of my time!
    Those blue textures appears to me sometimes when enhancement packs is in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    I didn't see any blue texture in this mission and info in 1st post mention that requirement is version 1.27 or higher, so maybe that's the problem.
    I can confirm this problem, this is an issue of playing older versions then. However, these textures only appear one time in Guldenbergs manor in the crypt room and the walls in the ruined temple deep down in the earth. So perfectly playable in older versions (just for me).
    I will do an update now. I played with Thief 1.26.

However, I enjoyed playing this very large fan mission. Loved the vertical design, the beautiful and detailed architecture, intelligent pathway design, semilinear gameplay, the huge underground city part which felt like a second mission to me and gave me a surprise, how big this mission really is. I played about 3 hours. Thank you! I just added this mission to my absolute favourites.

i also had blue textures in pagan area on walls that separate the place i am on 1.27 beta i think? or 1.28 beta? the newest beta version,played on thief gold fmsel

I can't find my way to Audale to finish I have looked from Hammers and went West started from South and went North but can not find the way?

Awesome mission!! Korthak Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    I can't find my way to Audale to finish
    It's pointed on the map.

I know that but I can't find the route to get there. Every way I go is a dead end.

Never mind I found it.
    Last edited by pwl; 15th May 2021 at 20:56.

I'm missing a key to Lord Guldenburg's Palace. Any hint where I can find it ?

Quote Originally Posted by JoergA View Post
    I'm missing a key to Lord Guldenburg's Palace. Any hint where I can find it ?
    You can't get in (unless I've missed something) until you've

gone down into the undercity and re-emerged into the north side of the city, where you can get in without the key via rooftops. The key is inside the palace, next to the door it opens.

Ah, thank you. Back down and looking for the way

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    Also loot is rare. Mission is gigantic, but loot is usually placed in one place in one room out of many empty rooms. That's really predictable and boring placement of loot. This mission need at least 3 times more loot. Otherwise despite all detail, it feels empty.
    O how people have different tastes! I'm very much enjoying this mission and hadn't considered there was a lack of loot till I read this post. I can see where your coming from Galaer but different styles of mission build deserve different amounts of loot placement, the other end of the spectrum for loot is a Christine mission or a Cardia mission and Whispers is certainly not one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyrano View Post
    This mission has a lot of great verticality, and non-linearity. Not usually something you see in a TG mission.
    Again how opinions differ. My thoughts have been 'not another vertically impressive, OM assets only, dark and gritty TG mission, haven't we had enough of those over the last few years!' Don't get me wrong this style of mission building is more than impressive and I'm thoroughly enjoying the mission but since Melan and Skacky first developed and then perfected this style it seems to me that almost every TG mission has followed suit. Guess I first fell in love with TG when a lot more colourful missions such as The Mystery Man and The Mansion of Chaos were released and still have a hankering for more colourful textures.

And yes a scattering of flares or a lantern somewhere would have been appreciated, I've turned up my gamma to max but am still blind to half of the map.

Alternatively, some "special" stuff (like secrets (are there any?)
    There are no secrets in T1/TG missions, but authors can and do occasionally introduce them, but they are not by default available in the engine.

Finished this with 90.7% of the loot. This is the first FM where I've actually wanted to have flares available. With the exception of some 'too dark to see' ledges, this one is an absolute joy to play.

One question: In the guardhouse there's a locked door I couldn't find the key to. Any hints?

This was great fun! Nailed the Thief Gold+ vibe and the whole thing is labyrinthine but logical.

Others have bemoaned the impossible-to-see ledge above the dead Hammer, but that was the only place I found where it didn't flow beautifully. My only other gripes are some bad roombrushing and a handful of dodgy patrol routes (I must have had about 5 separate instances of AI trying to patrol through the one black shadow I can hide in, and getting stuck patrolling into me).

This thing was a joy to explore - it felt like every nook, cranny and ledge had a new route to discover. Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Unkillable Cat View Post
    One question: In the guardhouse there's a locked door I couldn't find the key to. Any hints?
    Are you in the covered passageway (northern end grated off) and trying to get INSIDE the guard house from street level? If so, you'll get there from the other direction later. If it's another door I can't remember, there has to be a key somewhere in the northern half of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    There are no secrets in T1/TG missions, but authors can and do occasionally introduce them, but they are not by default available in the engine.
    Thanks - didn't know that this wasn't a feature of the older engine!

So far im loving this mission, how do i access Lord Guldenberg palace? i have two metal doors that i can't open.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    So far im loving this mission, how do i access Lord Guldenberg palace? i have two metal doors that i can't open.
    There is a way to access the palace via a rooftop balcony after leaving the undercity through the cellar rooms of the Hammerite Temple. Hard to find.

Well I've eventually finished and yes it is an extraordinarily good mission, congratulations Korthak you have absolutely excelled again.

The southern part of the city very much reminded me of A Night in the Old Quarter, even to the point that I even loaded that mission to see if you had paste and copied parts of it. The underground city area was brilliantly executed apart from the near complete darkness which has been mentioned too many times already, it was complex and confusing but never frustrating, a fine balance achieved.

My favourite section has got to be the north city area, even more complex than the south area, multiple pathways and great fun climbing out of a window to realise where you were, and I was so pleased when I eventually found the Mage's apartment as I had heard his mumblings through various walls for the last hour.

All I have to do now is make a lootlist for this mission....wish me luck!

This was a great city mission. Loved the exploration and the idea of the underground city, though I will say some of the underground was just too dark - I can see what the author was going for, but it ultimately was too much.

But outside of that no real complaints, it was mostly just a solid ~3 hours of fun.

Thanks for the hard work putting it together!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowgrab View Post
    Are you in the covered passageway (northern end grated off) and trying to get INSIDE the guard house from street level? If so, you'll get there from the other direction later. If it's another door I can't remember, there has to be a key somewhere in the northern half of the map.
    Yes, it's a short passage that has the (locked) sewer entrance on the north wall, and an unfrobbable gate above and to the right of that that leads to the northern part of the city.

The locked door in question is on the right-hand side just as you enter the guardhouse from the south.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Thanks for the pointer, though.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, Korthak. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Thinking Robot View Post
    There is a way to access the palace via a rooftop balcony after leaving the under-city through the cellar rooms of the Hammerite Temple. Hard to find.
    Thank you, it seems the problem is that i can't find a way to the are where the hammerite cathedral is located.

...Nevermind, found it.

Mission finished in 1 hour and 42 minutes on "normal" difficult, i loved every second of it, amazing city layout with impressive high and dynamic buildings, impressive architecture expression, very flexible and genius level design , simple and at the same time very enjoyable, love the dark corners that give a mysterious side, nice ambient sounds, lovely atmospheres both in the streets and underground, captivating story line. Definitely one of the best Thief 1 missions i ever played so far, and will replay it on "expert" difficult .

Thank you so much for this sweet experience !
    Last edited by Cardia; 17th May 2021 at 16:59.

I thoroughly enjoyed this FM.
    I always think of the months of design per hour of playtime put into these and I went for a couple hours exploring every bit I could get to.

So much so, I spent some time in the last area wholeheartedly expecting to find yet another area with, maybe, an optional adventure - but nope.

Still, Korthak, I am confident you had as much fun putting this together as we do playing it. Thank you

Am stuck in the undercity:

there's a gate leading into a blue-bricked basement with a lockboxed gate I can't pick

there's a lever behind a lowered gate in front of metal double doors

Also, someone mentioned a ladder that's hard to see in the lower part of the undercity

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechs Delight View Post
    Am stuck in the undercity:
    there's a gate leading into a blue-bricked basement with a lockboxed gate I can't pick

You'll get to it later from the other side. Keep on exploring.

there's a lever behind a lowered gate in front of metal double doors

You'll get to it later from the other side. Keep on exploring.
    Last edited by Arrowgrab; 18th May 2021 at 07:42.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast