TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TG FM - Whispers Below the Cobblestone (2021-05-13) - Updated to v1.1

TG FM - Whispers Below the Cobblestone (2021-05-13) - Updated to v1.1

Hello everyone,

My third FM Whispers Below the Cobblestone is now available. It is for Thief Gold and requires NewDark 1.27 or higher.
    It is recommended to play it without any kind of texture or enhancement pack.

Download v1.1 (ca. 26 MByte):

Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Elp...ew?usp=sharing

Walkthrough & Lootlist - thanks to fortuni

Updated to 1.1 on 2021-05-21

1.1 Changelog

Added a German translation
    Removed two AIs on Normal difficulty
    Added one AI for all difficulties
    Tweaked (and added) lights in several underground areas
    Tweaked several room brushes

Story:
    Lord Guldenberg might just be the wealthiest man in this part of
    Hightowne. He's engaged in an ongoing competition with the other
    nobles in this area, his two biggest rivals being Lord Ravenhurst
    and Lord Leveilleur. Guldenberg is said to possess a large art
    collection which contains the world-renowned painting
    "Majesty and Splendour".

Earlier this week, somebody managed to steal a valuable gem from
    Lord Ravenhurst: the tanzanite "Rachel". That dealt him quite the
    blow, to both his wealth and his reputation.

Nobody knows the culprit's identity or how they carried out the
    heist, but maybe I'll be able to find some clues during tonight's
    foray. There's no better time for it. The hubbub over the theft
    should create ample opportunity for me to sneak into Guldenberg's
    palace and get my hands on that painting.

There's also a unique district underneath this part of Hightowne,
    excavated from old ruins that date back centuries. The officials
    tried to make use of those structures by converting them into
    maintenance facilities and cheap apartments, but the place has
    attracted nothing but vermin over the years. Now, it's fallen to
    the hands of scoundrels and bandits.

The criminal activity in the underground district has increased
    dramatically during recent years, which has been a huge problem
    for Hightowne's blue-blooded residents. The officials have been
    trying to control the situation by stepping up the number of
    guards that patrol the streets, and they've even gone so far as
    to lock the poor bastards up in the Undercity during the night.

Now that my competition's out of the picture, I should set about
    making my move. Maybe I'll even find another way into the Undercity...

Thanks to everyone who helped me during the development of this mission.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Korthak; 26th May 2021 at 19:00. Reason: Added Walkthrough

Congrats on the release! You're all in for a treat

Thanks for the new release, loved your previous efforts.

I'm just unlucky that my video card started acting weird and for the moment i'm not able to play games, really bad timing.

Wow, looks cool. And congrats on the release. I'll play this when I'll have the time

downloading it now,thank you so much,will play it a bit later today

mission complete,wow i loved how the progression of the level was,took me over 2 hours to complete and still a bit short on loot for max,but way over the expert loot level,will go back to check areas i missed for more loot

for anyone who has issues progressing in map here is a tip first go to northern castle don't worry about that objective for now follow path on roofs/ledges east to next castle area find basment key then go down ,down down,then find a ladder to climb up a bit hard to see,then work your way back up,first objective you should complete is gem,then vault key then get pagan hand,then travel more till you see painting then get that key upstairs,by then you should have loot,save before you exit map if you want to find all loot

also alot of paths can lead to open doors to what were once blocked doors on your first pass through,so then can short cut map if needed

lots of paths for loot only,also i found it impossible to clear a route then backtrack as so many way open up you will end up forgetting what to do next,so best to complete a way then go back if needed

love this mission for all the paths,great job
    Last edited by downwinder; 13th May 2021 at 19:05.

An amazing FM! Only covered less than half of the above-ground area, but already found my way down into the Undercity, which looks absolutely great. I do have a question, and I'm not sure if I'm asking for a gameplay tip, or author's commentary:

In the Undercity, there's a wooden bridge next to the canal, with a single electric light above it supported by two posts and a crossbeam. If you climb up the posts, there's a chain directly to the NW, connected to the walls, and one end of it leads to a ledge which looks like it might have something interesting. However, I cannot make the jump to the chain, not even with the help of a speed potion I've found. I can easily jump to what should be within mantling distance, but I just can't grab onto it to mantle up.

Is it possible to mantle up to that chain, or get to that ledge from elsewhere? If so, how? Or is it just decoration which you cannot mantle?

Also, while I'm at it:

There's a wizard's tower with a funny readable next to Ravenhurst's mansion. There is also a room with a wooden ceiling that you can see if you look up from the tower's balcony. It has wide enough windows to pass through, but they're out of reach. Is it possible to get there? Maybe from a completely different direction, the NW quadrant of the map?

where is sewer key located,i been to guard house,as it was a in a readable it would be there?

other wise i got all other doors/gates open

update i found key

ohh also the sound on chains is amazing best sound for them
    Last edited by downwinder; 14th May 2021 at 00:52.

Mission beaten in 2 hours 43 min and collected 4060 loot. It's fantastic looking city mission. Especially Pagan place was great looking. There is so many choice in paths that I lost quite a lot in this mission. So ultimately this mission for me feels like a maze. Also loot is rare. Mission is gigantic, but loot is usually placed in one place in one room out of many empty rooms. That's really predictable and boring placement of loot. This mission need at least 3 times more loot. Otherwise despite all detail, it feels empty. There are some places that it's hard to get through. It's hard to get out of sewers via sewers hatch. It's possible to jump from crouch position and move to the side of passage, but it's tricky to figure out. South from mage place is east path through pipe and ventilator leading to garden on roof. This path can't be used, because after mantling on ventilator, Garrett gets stop by low roof and he can't even crouch. You can only back off. Overall it was fun mission, but it needs way more loot for my tastes.

i have great problems to keep the oreintation.

i got the ravenhurst tanzanite and now i jump over the river/sewer to the other side but there i stuck

Quote Originally Posted by Korthak View Post
    Hello everyone,

My third FM Whispers Below the Cobblestone is now available.

Is the statue on the right supposed to face backwards like that?

now i got the sewer hatch key, but i cannot find where it works

And just in time for lunch :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Unkillable Cat View Post
    Is the statue on the right supposed to face backwards like that?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by radogoal View Post
    now i got the sewer hatch key, but i cannot find where it works
    The sewer hatch key is for an optional path back to the city.
    If you found the tanzanite you also should have found another key, this is where you wanna go.

This mission has a lot of great verticality, and non-linearity. Not usually something you see in a TG mission. Well done, Korthak!

Really enjoyed this, despite the getting lost in the undercity quite a bit (darkness + big + not even a crude map led to a lot of wandering around). Had some nice "oh, so that's how I get there" bits.

Enjoyed the tension of constantly creeping around and waiting for traps to fire in the sinister pagan parts despite there being, as far as I can tell, no actual traps anywhere.

The sewer hatch key is for an optional path back to the city.
    If you found the tanzanite you also should have found another key, this is where you wanna go.
    yes i got a key. now i have 2 keys. the vault key the leveilleur basement key. but i cannot find a further way after getting the tanzanite
    Last edited by radogoal; 15th May 2021 at 00:36.

i can help radogoal, enter vault then go through pagan area to right,once you get paw you can go right to open a door to open map up more,but you then want to back track to area right after you enter vault and go left follow and climb rock to top and keep going

if you need more help let me know

thx

now i stand in the room where i found the tanzanite . but i cannot imagine what i should do. enter the vault . yes but i have no idea what i must do

Great mission. I'd like to report one bug, however:

There is a very small apartment with a sleeping (dead?) person and a bucket swarming with flies. When I blackjacked that guy, the no kill objective failed.

radogoal do you know where vault entrance is located? if not it is below you down some stairs,then explore pagan area,3 ways to exit vault,way you entered,right path and left path,left is the way to progress in mission

thank you very much. especially for your patience

i got the hand and leave the ruins area . and now i'm again in the area of the great wooden bridge

Hello everyone,

My third FM Whispers Below the Cobblestone is now available. It is for Thief Gold and requires NewDark 1.27 or higher.
    It is recommended to play it without any kind of texture or enhancement pack.

Download (ca. 26 MByte):

Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zdO...ew?usp=sharing

Story:

Thanks to everyone who helped me during the development of this mission.

Have fun!
    I wonder how I missed this master piece when you released it. Do you have any links availiable with the rest of your missions?

Quote Originally Posted by radogoal View Post
    thank you very much. especially for your patience

i got the hand and leave the ruins area . and now i'm again in the area of the great wooden bridge
    Here's a more detailed explanation: go to the natural caves which are between the vault and the pagan ruins. It's the area where the burricks are. Then, look for a long sloping tunnel leading upwards, it has two or three burricks in it. The tunnel seemingly comes to a dead end. Climb up a boulder to find a dead Hammerite. Now, look up and around very carefully. You might need to increase the game's gamma setting for more brightnes. There's a number of rock ledges that you can jump and mantle onto, and that's your way forward and back into the city. The problem is that the way you need to go is very, very dark and way too easy to miss. I love the mission, but I have to say this one detail could have been done better, with much better-lit ledges.

On another note, has anyone found the Keeper-related secret? I've found a Keeper statue in an attic and a metallic-sounding (-> movable) bookcase in the same room, but I can't find a way to open it.

Awesome mission! Finished it with 4230 loot & no hints in just unter four hours.

The architecture is obviously very similar to Melan's and Skacky's masterpieces and that's a major plus for city mission lovers like me.
    The "big thing" about this mission is of course the Underworld area, though, which I found very mazey and chaotic - but in a good way.
    I loved backtracking in this one to find out what I could find in the other direction.

Minor nitpicks:
    - No torches: Either I was too blind or there simply weren't any! While this could've been plausible in the "mission logic" it was extremely dark in places and I hoped to see more of the beauty of the level.
    - I also thought that the readables were rather short and for the most part not very interesting - and the main "players" could've been fleshed out a bit more as these types are often corrupt/criminal/deviant etc.
    - I agree with Galaer that there could've been more loot (but not necessarily three times as much) or at least more stuff in this grand architecture.
    - Alternatively, some "special" stuff (like secrets (are there any?), switches, mysterious notes, rare books or some that explain & expand aspects of the gameworld -- similar to the bathhouse note but not as public of course).
    - Perhaps I missed some secret areas but I sometimes had the feeling that there is a missed opportunity for object placement.

Also:
    Is it correct that there are blue textures in the pagan temple (where the hand is) and in the Guldenburg estate (near the grave of the wife)?
    (I played it with TFix 1.26a which never gave me trouble before.)

All in all a terrific mission and I think this will become a classic in short time! Thank you for filling four hours of my time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast