TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21st Anniversary of LGS Closing

21st Anniversary of LGS Closing

Hi everyone,
    This is Mike Chrzanowski and I'm a former level designer from Looking Glass Studios. I worked on Thief Gold, Thief II, and the unreleased Thief II Gold. I finished the Mage Tower level in T1G and built Shipping and Receiving, and Blackmail levels in T2. 21 years ago today was a sad day for many of us at Looking Glass as the studio had to close due to lack of funding. Throughout my time at Looking Glass I took many pictures and also the Final Days video that's been around for 10 years or so. For this year's anniversary I decided to go through all my old digital photos from 1999 and 2000 to pull out everything Looking Glass related. I have some great pics from picnics and parties. There are also a few screenshots from an unfinished T2G level. I even found my design document. Here are the links to the photos. I'll post the documents soon. Thanks for sticking by us all these years.

https://imgur.com/user/LGMikeC

Thank you so much for joining TTLG - Most of use here are seriously rabid fans for everything thief/thief2 related.

Quick question - How many fan missions released over the years have you played and/or replayed?
    Last edited by lordhern; 25th May 2021 at 22:24.

It's an honour! Thanks for sharing all this

These are great pictures! Thank you for this gift, and long live the memory of LGS!

Yo Mike thanks for sharing that awesomeness great stuff for us Thief Looking Glass Fans it was a honour and a privilege to help you out to make this happen.
    Your friend always Shane

Thanks Mike! Thief I and II mean a lot to myself and so many! I will dive into these treasures you share with us now

You know, it's been a little disheartening to not have any big-budget games do similar stealth for decades; not even remotely similar. (Okay, a LOT disheartening ) Shadows still don't function in most (all?) "stealth" games to this day. "Stealth missions" embedded in AAA games are a bit of a joke, imo; with heavy reliance on contextual music to tell you when NPCs are alert, HUD icons to show you enemies through walls and their alert statuses, and creating distractions (e.g., throw bottles). It's beyond me how no developer has evolved or expanded upon several wonderful game mechanic, level design, player movement/freedom, and atmosphere-building foundations Looking Glass Studios' devised or helped bring to the forefront over 20 years ago. So, thank you for doing your part to bring these amazing games to us. I definitely miss Looking Glass Studios, and have for a long time!

PS: I love those missions you worked on! Very impressive. Thank you, again

Thanks MikeC for all the goodies, always great fun to see anything LGS related from the old days.

Say, you wouldn't happen to have any old .mis or .cow files lying around, would ya?

Thank you very much for these pictures. Anyone else feeling nostalgia for the late 90s/early 2000s?

now with the maps of the level and some shots showing what textures they were going to use,just need to find out what objectives were suppose to be and make it a fan mission

thank you for the cool pics

also what were the jar of pennys for? and the jar of ketchup?

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    now with the maps of the level and some shots showing what textures they were going to use,just need to find out what objectives were suppose to be and make it a fan mission

thank you for the cool pics

also what were the jar of pennys for? and the jar of ketchup?
    That's in Mike's Design Document that he will release soon titled Tollgate Collage and the Mission being called Breakout.

This is quite amazing!
    Thanks for sharing these, Mike and welcome to the forums!
    Thanks to you too, slipknot!

Oh wow what an honour! Thanks so much for this!! Seeing the old computers and screens you only realize how much time actually passed since then and still so many of us are hardcore fans to the core!!
    It saddens me alot that we never got to play thief II gold. Today I think youŽd get alot of financial support from fans, but back then most of us (including me) were still kids so there was not much to do about it

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    It is awesome having you here Mike, and thank you for sharing these things with us after all these years!

There's a great photo of Dan Thron in there with a lovely pint of Guinness! That's at The Burren Bar, Somerville, MA, I believe?
    Apologies, I've had two very dry St. Patrick Days because of lockdown here, I miss going to the pub. Not just for the gargle, just to hang out with mates.

Cool stuff, it's nice to see the old LGS crew having so much fun.

Thanks for sharing!

Would you ever consider firing up New Dark and building that unfinished mission? Would be a treat to see what a Thief 2 Gold mission may have been like.

i got a couple questions,how many new missions are suppose to be in thief 2 gold,also what order were they going to be placed in comparison to thief 2 mission order

and by any chance do you know who made the pagan doll aka dewdrop for thief 2

Well, when a Daddy Pagan doll and a Mommy Pagan doll love each other very much.....

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i got a couple questions,how many new missions are suppose to be in thief 2 gold,also what order were they going to be placed in comparison to thief 2 mission order

https://thiefmissions.com/thief2gold/missions.htm

https://thief.fandom.com/wiki/Thief_II_Gold

thank you seems like t2g would have been alot more then t1g was

and yeah i will probaly never find out who made dewdrop

Mike, thanks so much for posting those pics. Thief 1 and 2 will always hold a special place in my heart.

Quick question: On the Itchy & Scratchy CD ROM, is there a way to get out of the dungeon without using the wizard key?

RAID ON WILLARD SQUARE,sounds like a great mission,would love to explore the slums

WAKING THE DEAD sounds amazing for a mission,outdoor/traveling missions are my fav

those 2 stand out for me

and wow 5 new missions and updates to cannon missions

Mike, thank you so much for joining and for sharing these photos! Definitely fun, nostalgic goodies. I enjoyed looking through them and look forward to seeing the documents. I'd also like to take this moment to say that I loved each of the levels you worked on - The Mage Towers and Shipping ... and Receiving, especially, have always been some of my favorites.

After reading all of this about the additional missions for thief II gold, the urge wanting to play them but not being able to is almost unbearable

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1 View Post
    After reading all of this about the additional missions for thief II gold, the urge wanting to play them but not being able to is almost unbearable
    We've had the maps for a couple of the Thief 2 Gold maps for years now, it's such a shame a team didn't forge something out of them for an unofficial Thief 2 Gold. There are ways to contact the former devs to ask them questions if need be too and from my personal experience, they've always been willing to respond and share their thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast