TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Recommended book for FM authors

Recommended book for FM authors

Hello, I'd like to recommend a book about night life in the past centuries, from late medieval times to XVIII century. It's called "At Day's Close: Night in Times Past". There is even an entire chapter dedicated to thievery, crime, and how city watch operated, which I have found really inspiring. I believe there is much valuable information in this book and FM authors will surely benefit from reading it.

https://www.amazon.com/At-Days-Close.../dp/0393329011

From the blurb:

"Fear of crime, of fire, and of the supernatural; the importance of moonlight; the increased incidence of sickness and death at night; evening gatherings to spin wool and stories; masqued balls; inns, taverns, and brothels; the strategies of thieves, assassins, and conspirators; the protective uses of incantations, meditations, and prayers; the nature of our predecessors' sleep and dreams―Ekirch reveals all these and more in his monumental study"

Thanks, ordered

The thread made me want to share my last read "Gilded Needles" by Michael McDowell.

It feels like its set in the world of Thief, and some plot points that possibly could be inspiring.

Cool, the Ttlg Book Club!
    This is an interesting tome about Ye Olde London after dark, and how it inspired countless writers and poets.
    Nightwalking: A Nocturnal History of London