TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief Fan Missions to play in the Summer?

Thief Fan Missions to play in the Summer?

I'm one of those peculiar men who think that playing Thief must be done at night, in the dark and at winter, just so it can be an even more so "immersive" type of game, so to speak.

So, right now during this post, it's Summer, a hot and disgusting one, I live in a country where Summer is just a literal hellhole.

But I can't get over Thief, ever since playing it, it has been scarred in my memory due to how amazing this game is, it really is unique, I simply have no more words to say about it, maybe on a proper review later on or whatever...
    I want to play Thief on a cold Winter, but I also have such a desire to replay Thief even during Summer.

Anyway, enough about me, let's get to the point now:
    Do any of you recommend Fan Missions to play during Summer?
    Be it a mission set in Summer, for the summer festival, it takes place in the day, it's in a port, it's not during a rainy day, it's set in the beach or even a lost island...All that kind.
    Just anything that sets the mood for Summer, basically

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed it's in Thief General, not Thief Fan Missions which I suppose would make more sense, would a kind moderator please move it there?

I can't recommend any fan mission for you unfortunately, but I played Thief a lot in Summer, though usually at night when it was dark. I found the weather to be a good fit to the general flair of some of the original missions.

Excellent topic. I recommend Behind Closed Doors for Thief 2. It's a huge city exploration mission set during the day.

Into the Odd by Schlock and Squadfroinx. Best daytime mission I've ever played.

Both The Ashen Age and The Cinder Notes are daytime missions that give the impression to be staged on a hot summer day.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    Excellent topic. I recommend Behind Closed Doors for Thief 2. It's a huge city exploration mission set during the day.
    Well I already have played that one and it was more fun during a gloomy Autumn, thanks for the suggestion though for I know I'd love it if I haven't played it already.

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    Into the Odd by Schlock and Squadfroinx. Best daytime mission I've ever played.
    I'll check that out, on another note; never heard of those two authors, wonder if they're popular ones that I haven't had the courtesy to meet yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkins View Post
    Both The Ashen Age and The Cinder Notes are daytime missions that give the impression to be staged on a hot summer day.
    I believe I played "The Ashen Age", wasn't it supposed to be more than one mission that never came to be? Could be worth a replay though.
    The Cinder Notes, have to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrohowl View Post
    I believe I played "The Ashen Age", wasn't it supposed to be more than one mission that never came to be? Could be worth a replay though.
    The Cinder Notes, have to try that.
    Yes, unfortunately we never saw the sequel.

i would say Christine pirates ahoy was a great series for a hot summer day

I don't know if the fm Mysterious Invitation by PsymH, will get you into the mood you describe in the OP, but it's a daylight mission.

It's also a pretty hard one if you're playing on Expert, because there is a forfeit - no blackjack.

The Quiet Heat will definitely give you that hot summer day feel. It's a bit of a mixed bag, but IMO worth playing.

The Black Frog has quite a summery feel to it.

Breaking the Stone by Hipbreaker (aka Jeremy Catlin) is a 3-part mini-campaign, a lot is daytime but there's also nighttime parts in the same place/town, which is in warmer weather but it's high up w/snowy distant peaks. Jeremy is one of our best authors since the early days & who I believe now works for a game studio.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i would say Christine pirates ahoy was a great series for a hot summer day
    True, I remember playing it, beat the first mission, it was amazing. Sadly I had to leave it unfinished, but it really is worth a total replay.
    Christine never fails to deliver, I love all the "Lady Thieves" in this here community.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie1 View Post
    I don't know if the fm Mysterious Invitation by PsymH, will get you into the mood you describe in the OP, but it's a daylight mission.

It's also a pretty hard one if you're playing on Expert, because there is a forfeit - no blackjack.
    Daylight, I'm all in. No blackjack, well, I always quite enjoy a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    The Quiet Heat will definitely give you that hot summer day feel. It's a bit of a mixed bag, but IMO worth playing.
    I remember playing this one, it was good, but had some "substance" missing.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    The Black Frog has quite a summery feel to it.
    Absolutely great mission, though the ending was sad for me because I beat it right on the day of that tragic day some of you already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    Breaking the Stone by Hipbreaker (aka Jeremy Catlin) is a 3-part mini-campaign, a lot is daytime but there's also nighttime parts in the same place/town, which is in warmer weather but it's high up w/snowy distant peaks. Jeremy is one of our best authors since the early days & who I believe now works for a game studio.
    I have it, just never played it, I forgot if I even installed it.
    Oughta be worth a try, to play a campaign in this heaty Summer.

I think Midday Escape has a very strong late spring/early summer before-noon vibe to it, and Midday Eclipse is nice as well. Both are really simple but enjoyable in their own way.

The Lost Crusade has a very good summer atmosphere, despite some unperfect details to the mission.

Stowaway by Finial has a remote island/late summer afternoon feel to it.

Tribal Breeze, which I was a co-author for, has a weird modern-ish estate set in a definitely summer environment.

I also live in a country where summers are disgusting, and I also generally think that my all time favorite games, Thief Gold and Thief 2 are meant to be played during the autumn, winter and early spring, on calm nights. That's what I cannot wait for, during these unbearable heatwaves.

From Beneath the Sands and Whispers in the Desert are Egyptian-tomb-like missions, which could work for a summer feel.

Where I live, we now have the second or third day of continuous and heavy rainfall, and the weather forecast says it will remain so for the next two days. I'm afraid I'd have to play "Endless Rain" if current weather conditions would be relevant.

If, however, we go back to what Necrohowl had in mind, then probably the last mission of the "Sturmdrang Peak" campaign could fit. I do not think it was during daytime, but apart from that, the outside areas look rather tropical, with all the palm trees and the ancient rotting Mayan-like temple.

Oh, and then there is "Temple of the Tides". This is in daylight on a tropical island, although the mission itself takes place in the temple. Several windows, some of them in the roof, do show that there's sunlight outside, though.

The last contest had a mission that was very summer evening/night feeling and it was one of the contenders too.

Yeah I think that was Alcazar, which I dont know if was mentioned already. It won the contest and was daytime mission, same authors as Into the Odd. The Cinder Notes was a contender and daytime by DrK. That was mentioned before.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    I think Midday Escape has a very strong late spring/early summer before-noon vibe to it, and Midday Eclipse is nice as well. Both are really simple but enjoyable in their own way.

The Lost Crusade has a very good summer atmosphere, despite some unperfect details to the mission.

Stowaway by Finial has a remote island/late summer afternoon feel to it.

Tribal Breeze, which I was a co-author for, has a weird modern-ish estate set in a definitely summer environment.

I also live in a country where summers are disgusting, and I also generally think that my all time favorite games, Thief Gold and Thief 2 are meant to be played during the autumn, winter and early spring, on calm nights. That's what I cannot wait for, during these unbearable heatwaves.
    Hey ticky, I know you as one of the Thief Veterans, glad to see you're still in here.
    I think I did play both Midday Escape and Midday Eclipse, since the name is familiar, it might be worth a retry though.
    I remember The Lost Crusade, great mission, might be worth a replay itself too.
    Never heard of Stowaway, rather weird, I'll make sure to try it.
    Tribal Breeze sounds funny, with what "modern estate" and all, worth a try!

Yeah, I knew I'm not the only one, I really enjoy playing Thief when it's cold and night, but it's tolerable to play it in a dark weather too.
    But whatever, I just have quite an itch for Thief, I can play it even on Summer and still enjoy it a lot, because Thief is legendary for me.

Quote Originally Posted by twhalen2600 View Post
    From Beneath the Sands and Whispers in the Desert are Egyptian-tomb-like missions, which could work for a summer feel.
    Played these, great missions. I might give them a replay so I can get a perfect Loot score, including finding all secrets, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    Where I live, we now have the second or third day of continuous and heavy rainfall, and the weather forecast says it will remain so for the next two days. I'm afraid I'd have to play "Endless Rain" if current weather conditions would be relevant.

If, however, we go back to what Necrohowl had in mind, then probably the last mission of the "Sturmdrang Peak" campaign could fit. I do not think it was during daytime, but apart from that, the outside areas look rather tropical, with all the palm trees and the ancient rotting Mayan-like temple.

Oh, and then there is "Temple of the Tides". This is in daylight on a tropical island, although the mission itself takes place in the temple. Several windows, some of them in the roof, do show that there's sunlight outside, though.
    I'd say you're very lucky, because I love the rain myself, especially during Summer.

I already played Sturmdrang Peak, what a legendary mission. It was made by Nick Dublin too, right? One of my favourite authors.
    "Temple of the Tides", I think that was a heavily puzzle-oriented one, sadly it's not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zajazd View Post
    The last contest had a mission that was very summer evening/night feeling and it was one of the contenders too.
    Yeah I think that was Alcazar, which I dont know if was mentioned already. It won the contest and was daytime mission, same authors as Into the Odd. The Cinder Notes was a contender and daytime by DrK. That was mentioned before.
    Hey, thanks a lot for suggesting me "Into the Odd", klatremus. I loved that mission, I thought it would be "mundane", nothing wrong with that, but hey...Garrett, as per usual, is unluckily lucky, and he got himself into, well, something that I won't say to avoid spoilers But to those who know, oh boy, what a mission "Into the Odd" is.

As for the other; it's Alcazar, yeah, for Thief Gold. I am trying it right now, didn't know it was the same authors too, that promises to be as fun as "Into the Odd"!

So many good suggestions, glad ya'll are still around, veterans and the like.

Glad you liked Into the Odd, Necrohowl! It sort of split the fan base down the middle, people either loved it or hated it, and some even stopped it after 30 min. Not me. Now I know a bit more what kind of missions might be up your alley. I'm guessing you like Thief Gold better than Thief 2...?

Quote Originally Posted by Necrohowl
    I'd say you're very lucky, because I love the rain myself, especially during Summer.
    Although I don't love rain, it can be pleasant in it's own way. On the other hand... Since I wrote my post on Tuesday, the feces have made intimate contact with the fan here where I live. Somehow, I don't feel so lucky now.

I am a resident of the part of Germany where floods now strike the land. Since Wednesday, about half of the roads and railroads around here have been rendered inoperative, with several of them rather being destroyed than merely damaged. About 20 minutes of driving by car southward of here, the infamous landslide that dominated the news for today has happened, sweeping away about one quarter of a city street - including all of the houses there. Most likely, some of the residents were still in there when it happened, but if so, no one lived to tell the tale.

As if that was not enough, two dams have breached this evening, adding two more evacuations to the already long list. Fortunately, these evacuations seem to have been more effective than the one where the landslide happened - several people did not want to leave their homes there and probably went down with them. Search and Rescue helis were busy the whole day and rescued 280 people. Still, more than one hundred are already said to be dead - and that's just here in Germany. And there's another dam-like structure that is severely damaged. If it breaks, floods are expected to "visit" our village as well. The good news is that our house is far away and rather high up from the river, but a lot of the residents wouldn't be so lucky.

Rain has its very, very unpleasant properties, I'm afraid. And maybe one day, someone could even convince the former US president that maybe, just maybe, this thing called climate change is not fake news. That large hole, covering roughly a square kilometer where the landslide occurred can be quite convincing if filmed from the air. Click here to get convinced. You don't have to understand German to get the message. Just examine the first picture.

And now back to our regular programme, with all these summer missions...

(If anyone wants to comment this post, I'd recommend creating a new thread elsewhere and link to it from here. I've been off-topic enough for the time being.)
    Last edited by baeuchlein; 16th Jul 2021 at 18:01.

Very late reply here, but I recommend two missions from nicked to play in the summer: Sturmdrang peak with lots of rain and behind closed doors

Glad you liked Into the Odd, Necrohowl! It sort of split the fan base down the middle, people either loved it or hated it, and some even stopped it after 30 min. Not me. Now I know a bit more what kind of missions might be up your alley. I'm guessing you like Thief Gold better than Thief 2...?
    I like to claim I love them both equally, which is true, but in reality I do love Thief 1 more than Thief 2, due to the creepier atmosphere it offers, and the semi-linear playstyle too, I'm fine with that, knowing the story is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1 View Post
    Very late reply here, but I recommend two missions from nicked to play in the summer: Sturmdrang peak with lots of rain and behind closed doors
    These two were suggesting already, but thanks anyway.
    Nicked always makes quite the amazing FMs, I enjoyed "Behind Closed Doors" and "Sturmdrang Peak" a lot. Honestly, they might even be worth a replay.

You know, talking about nicked, I'd love to see him remake "A Pirate's Downfall".