TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Monomyth

Monomyth

Monomyth is an immersive-sim dungeon crawler inspired by Arx Fatalis, Ultima Underworld and the King's Field series.

I've been following this one for a while, with its heavy Arx Fatalis vibes and great-looking underground environments.

I mentioned it in the Immersive Sim thread, but it really ought to have its own thread, especially now that the author is working on it full-time and has launched a Kickstarter.

Developer Twitter
    Steam page
    Website
    Kickstarter

It was probably you who brought this game to my attention earlier this year (thanks for that!), and I've been following this project with interest ever since. This looks like the game that Underworld Ascendant should have been. UA taught me a valuable lesson about the risks of Kickstarter, but "fortunately" none of the higher backer tiers in Monomyth interest me, so I'm willing to chip in with my €15. It's really quite unbelievable that this is a one-man project, and that worries me a little to be honest, but damn it's impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    UA taught me a valuable lesson about the risks of Kickstarter
    I don't think it really has much to do with Kickstarter, because the game was actually released. The main risk with Kickstarter is the game gets funded, you pay out, but get nothing in return (Hi there, Tangiers). Sure, the game (UA) sucked, but that can happen with any game that you buy from any source.

Anyway, from the things I've read about Momomyth, including the developers blog, he seems very serious about his project, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't released. So I decided to back it. Hopefully it will be better than UA (at about half the price).

I'm not sure that's how baking works...

Otherwise, game looks very cool! Will be keeping an eye on it.

The baking is very clearly a nod to Arx Fatalis, which had an almost identical system.

I played a bit of the demo, seems promising.
    The environment looks nice and atmospheric, though I found it a little confusing to navigate. The start of the game, with the nice main menu and proper intro made it look very professional already.

It's very much a classic old-school RPG in that it asks you to pick your stats at the start, with no clue as to which ones are any good or what you should pick!

You can stack crates, so it's definitely an immersive sim.
    The systems are a little clunky in places, especially combat which seemed to mostly be hitting the enemy repeatedly to keep them stunlocked (and with enemies being a bit too tanky for my tastes.)

Anyway, I've backed it for €40 (not quite sure why I picked that arbitrary amount between two tiers). The Kickstarter is already over halfway to the minimum goal of €16,500, so it seems very likely it will be backed. Let's see if it can make some of the stretch goals, like body awareness (which is a somewhat pointless feature that I've always liked.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    The baking is very clearly a nod to Arx Fatalis, which had an almost identical system.
    Ah right. I tried to play Arx Fatalis, but I couldn't even figure out how to successfully do the first spell they give you. Never played anything so difficult to just understand the basic controls.

I feel like Arx hasn't aged well. I remember liking it back in the day, but I tried to replay it recently and just couldn't get over how clunky everything is.

I wish it had any kind of settings menu.
    Missing it alot.

It's there. Tab, and then System.

Ah wow its very well hidden. This stuff belongs in the pause/main menu lol!
    Clunkyyyyyyyy

The project was already funded the other day, and we're already comfortably past $30.000! (the goal was a bit less than $20.000) The first two stretch goals have been achieved; expanded soundtrack (yay!) and expanded language support (meh), and the most interesting one for me, expanded immersive simulation, is only $1000 away. There's still three and a half weeks left, so who knows how many more stretch goals will be achieved.

The image where Mr Tröls lists his inspirations gets a nod of approval and a big smile on my face too. I wonder if the guy's lurking around in here...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    expanded immersive simulation, is only $1000 away.
    That's not quite right, the stretch goal is 32,000 euro, not dollars. In dollars, it's $37,760.
    The current pledge is €26,091, so it's ~€6,000 to go, which is around $7,000.

Oh yeah, my bad, got the euros and dollars mixed up there.

This trailer, is an example of good sound.

This looks very interesting. I ignored Arx Fatalis for decades. Then I got a "what the hell" itch to play games I have been avoiding. It is one of my favorite rough gems. I hope this one is able to go the distance. I like the look of it so far.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Speaking of Ultima Underworld spiritual successors, did anyone here go back and try Underworld Ascendant after it was patched to Hell?

Subsequently i know that Razorfist has streamed playthroughs of it, might go see if those aren't still online.

I did play the fully patched version of Underworld Ascendant! I even wrote some sort of a review of it: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150189

It's nowhere near the worst game that I've played, but it just might be the most frustrating one! It could have been a decent game, but I wonder if any of the developers ever actually played it to see if it's any fun. It has a hundred half-broken game mechanics, but the ingredients of a good game are scattered all over the place and it just never really works. What on earth went wrong there?

Only 35 hours left now, so for the love of ancient gods and stuff, pledge now if you haven't done so already.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth

Unfortunately there haven't been many new backers lately after a very promising start, so it's unlikely that any more stretch goals will be met, but at least we're comfortably past the initial goal. Has anyone played the demo version lately?

Thanks for the reminder, tried the demo just in time and it's very promising. There's a ton of secrets to find, and I don't mind the Souls nods with the way you drop your xp when you die and the way the map connects to itself. Less happy with not being able to freely save, but I can live with that. The combat is a bit unbalanced, considering how easily you run out of stamina while the enemies have an infinite amount. I also spent probably at least 15 minutes hitting a zombie once or twice, dropping off a platform so I can regenerate stamina so I can hit it another two times while backing back onto the platform, dropping off again etc, and the damn thing just didn't die no matter what until I scrounged up a new weapon. I hope the AI does something else than just run straight at you until one of you dies, it's not very fun with the infinite stamina attack spam thing. Not sure when the full release is supposed to be, but looking forward to it.

Any more word on this? I stumbled across it today and played the demo. Got the Arx vibe right off so was keen to see when it was due for release but there doesn't seem to be much info available. Anyone with Kickstarter updates they can share?

Seems to be getting along nicely. There's fairly frequent updates; sure you can't read them? Works for me even after signing out. Open backer beta was talker about in the most recent update so there'll probably be more opinions here soon.

Edit: scratch the "soon" part, didn't notice that the open backer one will be in beta phase 5, out of 6. It's currently in phase 1.

Odd, the page wasn't loading for me, but seems to be working now that I've refreshed. Probably should have thought to do that earlier.