TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unfinished fan mission.... started in 2003... what should I do?

Thanks ... figured it out. Had so load the .mis file, set custom gamesys, save it again, then close and reopen. Works now.

Does anyone want to do a beta test of what I've got so far? I'm not done but I'm curious how it plays. I'm missing many guards and NPCs. But I have enough to play through and maybe get some additional development ideas maybe.

I'm curious if someone could play it and see if they think I need to script things or add dialogue or anything.

Or... is it better to wait until it's more complete so the Beta tester can get a real feel for how the mission plays with the AI and everything?

UPDATE: Added lots of NPCs, mission nearing completion!

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    mission nearing completion!
    That is nice. When you will have a finished (logically finished) mission, ask here for a beta-testing. You will easily find a few people who will spend some time to run through your mission a few times. And they will surely try to climb that fence which leads to nowhere. With stacked crates, if needed. And they will bash all wooden doors with a sword. Included those doors which by your idea never were mentioned to be opened.
    Oh, And they also will do... do very strange and unexpected things. Weird things. Beta-testing things. That is good, actually.

HaHa! I hesitated coming forward yesterday as Iíve never been a tester but I regularly do all those things A.Stahl mentions. Hopefully youíll get seasoned beta-testers but should you need someone who regularly gets stuck in areas he has no right to be, Iím happy to have a go. I also have zero DromEd knowledge. Hope Iím not over-selling this.

UPDATE: Have a few things left but sent links to 2 users for early preview just to get any comments and suggestions before I'm done. Neither have played yet so we'll see how it goes.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Got awesome feedback from Aged Raver. THANK YOU for playing my mission in it's current state. And hopefully its ok to say that you spent over 4 hours playtime on it! WOW!

I am in the process of adding a "special" objective that hopefully is really cool and enhances the mission, so a bit more work to do ...

you got this vortex85,i so cant wait to play it when released,keep up the amazing work

hands you a healing fruit drink to give you restorative effects

Finished "special objective" today and also implemented Hard and Expert difficulty. Not too many bells and whistles on Hard and Expert, just a increase loot on hard and increase loot/no kill on expert. I didn't want people to miss out on objectives based on difficulty choice.

Plus it makes it easier on me after the spaghetti mess of traps and switches and triggers and receptrons and what have you's it took to do my most recent objective.

I would like to add maybe a couple secret loots. Also, a few more notes and scrolls to add. Other than that I'm about ready to wrap this thing up and release it! Just waiting for feedback on one more tester and I may do another round after with the most recent additions.

Great to see you've retained your passion for this project even after so many years! Can't wait to play

Quote Originally Posted by Severian_Silk View Post
    Great to see you've retained your passion for this project even after so many years! Can't wait to play
    Funny thing is I just built it for myself originally. For fun, to play around and use my imagination to create a 3d setting. I like level design as a way of doing art, so it's for my own satisfaction. Only recently did I ever think to make it a mission to release to anyone.

It's been an interesting process to convert something created purely out of art with no story or objectives in mind, and converting it into a mission with a story... I hope the end result is satisfying. Looking forward to releasing this...

i am excited as i love the older style of fan mission and now he can use what has been proven to be great and add it to his mission

when i find dewdrop in mission i will be sure to give him the complete tour of the map

I think I may be.... done?

Gonna do a play through tonight and send out official beta test if anyone is interested barring no huge issues found on my end.

PM'ing links for beta test.

If anyone wants to have a go let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    PM'ing links for beta test.

If anyone wants to have a go let me know!
    Will it be released by the 29th? Because I won't have my PC until then, so not sure if I should ask.

Not sure, maybe. I am working on fixes after the beta testing.

Quick update, I finished the fixes for the first beta testing, and now did the second beta testing. Now I have a new list almost as long as the first... eh, I think after this I'm gonna opt to release this thing with no more tests ... LOL.

Anyway, hopefully all this will improve the end result for most people....

Started fixes but it may take another week or so to finish up...

Just FYI, none of the issues are game breaking. Simply many little aesthetic details, opinions of testers, and little things off that most casual players wouldn't notice. Anyway, I've got some hardcore testers who are experienced building missions so they see everything!

Can't wait to see what you're cookin'!

i am very excited to play also i love day light missions a lot

I think it's better not to hurry up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123