TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things you started doing during the pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
    Wrote a novel and published enough stories to turn them into a fiction collection. They'll be coming out in 2022.
    We will all buy and read them but we will be too cool to tell you we liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by ajay View Post
    Maybe you could let us know once it's available?
    Totally.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    holy shit Sombras! Good to see you again. also dont go to the members list and sort by posts, which I just did. So many names there I had (almost) forgotten about. Gave me some weird ass feels, like a dusty breeze passing me by in an underpass.
    Roger-wilco. I know that feeling. It's like reading ancient journal entries. Like, "Holy fuck, that was a weird time. Why was I like that???"

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    We will all buy and read them but we will be too cool to tell you we liked them.
    Ha! But not too cool to post about how much you hated them!

Well.

I was two weeks away from a launch party with the first original band I'd put together since before my heart transplant. I spent about a year vetting and rehearsing players (simple music but tons of vocal work/harmonies). Secured management and PR, and jointly dumped more money than I care to think about into a Friday night headline in Ocean City with banging pre-sales. Covid hits. Everything is shit canned. Took about a month to lose the band since it was obvious this was going to be a long dark night for live music. Especially painful because it was also the first album I've ever done that was 100%e, no hired guns, no samples.

So I tried to make lemonade. I rebranded as an online artist playing four versions of myself as different band members. Slightly campy but mostly subtle. My video budget gone since there was no gig or merch income, I resorted to filming low budget videos in my basement, ended up doing a out 5 of them with varying degrees of production and just trying to have fun with it. It's called Kyd Kalydoscope and I've posted some of it around here but this is a good example:

https://youtu.be/_UdwKvSxQec

The first video hit about 13K views on YouTube and the others ended up in in the 8000 range. This also involved me learning video editing from scratch, which is pretty obvious from the quality.

Then we moved from PA to CA. Our kids are looking at college in LA and SF, the nursing pay is better, and Covid was on the decline here at the time. We'd moved to PA for the transplant at Penn State but didn't really love it. This involved us selling our house, buying a camper and learning how to pull and camp it (this allowed me to avoid restaurants, hotels, public bathrooms, etc. on the way to CA since I'm immune comp'd). Wife took a job with a travel nurse company and we got here in Nov. and lived in Airbnb's to get the lay of the land (San Jose, Concord, Napa, Berkeley...). I resumed the Kyd thing but my drum kit was in storage along with most everything else waiting for us to find a permanent home in CA. So the videos became a little more challenging, given that it's all guitar and drum based dad/power pop/rock stuff. But it kind of worked:

https://youtu.be/PIgLetBGYT4

Eventually, between getting raped by Spotify and FB and IG screwing up their traffic analytics, I decided to put the music thing on hold until I can support with a live band.

By the time we settled permanently here in East Bay, I was able to finally write about 30 episodes of a podcast idea I'd been brooding on for a few years. All the podcasts for transplant people are about clinical/medical stuff so I focused mine on peripheral issues and it's done pretty well (500 downloads and counting). I also finally started a podcast centered on King's X, the obscure band I've loved for 30 years. Only in the fourth episode but already around 500 downloads as well.

Not sure what's next. I'm fighting a possible Covid infection ATM, but barring that, I hope to be back out playing music and such by October.

Oh, also re-edited my autobiography about the whole transplant thing too. Seems like there were a lot of loose strings that needed thing up, so hopefully I've used the time wisely.

P.S. SOMBRAS!!

SShock2.com

Well, um, my story is a lot less dramatic than most. I was bored. For the last 13 years, I've been playing World of Warcraft every day, but.... meh. You get bored. So I dug up some old games. KOTOR2. SS2. Yeah, that one. After about two weeks of SS2 I started longing for ShockEd, and all the ambitions and ideas I had 20 years ago but never made anything of. But with my ME/CFS, I'm pretty thick now. Brain = goo. Memory gone. So, I had to relearn everything, read all the old tutorials, and the new ones to slowly figure out that there's a Newdark thingy now, and being a complete halfwit now it took me bloody ages to get it installed and working.

I'll probably never produce anything useful to other people, but at least, I'm forcing my brain to try to think again, and that's probably good on some level. If nothing else I can at least pretend to be clever once I get something to work properly. So far I still suck at architecture but can do most of the logic control thingies I aim for, link triggers to so-and-so, and make thingy go blah-de-blah. Good enough for me. Two days from now I'll probably invent a problem I can't solve and will have to ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by fett View Post
    Not sure what's next. I'm fighting a possible Covid infection ATM, but barring that, I hope to be back out playing music and such by October.
    Way to bury the lede! You okay?

I haven't picked up any new hobbies during the pandemic. After work I still make dinner, take a walk around the block, read the newspaper and try to relax with a book or a movie or show. Sometimes a little gaming, but not that often. However, about three months ago a co-worker from a previous job I'm still friends with on Facebook posted that she lost her boyfriend that she had for about half a year to suicide. Since I lost my wife that way, I offered my condolences and said to her that it she ever wants to talk or if there's something I can do she can always message me. So after a while I received a message, she asked after how much time I went back to work after losing my wife, and she wondered what the right time was for her to pick up her work again, because all this free time alone with her grief wasn't doing her much good. We stayed in touch and we now message back and forth and have developed some sort of digital friendship where we talk about grieving and the loss of her partner at first, but now also many other things. About 5 out of 7 days on average I send her a long message that takes me about an hour and a half to type and she writes me long messages as well. Of course this leaves less time for hobbies during the evening, but being able to help someone out by letting her vent and listening to her and also being able to talk about the things happening in my life feels more meaningful than watching yet another movie or binge watching yet another show. Probably going to meet up sooner or later but there's no rush to that, for now I'm enjoying this budding friendship. Feels good to open up to someone again, been focusing a lot on my work lately.

PS get well soon, fett!

Well.
    I listen to your music every day.

Also WTF man, you are on immuno blockers aren't you? Are they adjusting them for the Covid?

And good for you Harvester. Burdens are lighter when they are shared and that burden is particularly heavy.

Well.

P.S. SOMBRAS!!
    ¡FETT!

So glad you're doing well, hanging in there, still swinging, all the clichés! East Bay? I'm from SJ originally. If I still lived in my stomping grounds, I could totally see myself auditioning for your band (guitar and backing vocals) and getting blown out of the water by people who actually know what they're doing. I really liked the videos you linked to. Great work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12