TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Lighten up a particular object's shadow.

Lighten up a particular object's shadow.

Hello Friends,

I have a immobile = True on a torch sconce.

Typically this looks good for most things but not for a torch which should overtake any shadows. Yet I still like there to be a pattern there. How can I make the shadows for this particular object just less defined/dark? Sorry if this has been asked before, hard search, keywords match so many things. Thanks!

Hmmm now that I think about it, the light is emitting from the center, rather than where my Vhot is. I should move it up via offset. That may already make it look better. But if there isn't a native way to just adjust shadows as made by immobile equals true also, I might just attach another light slightly above to wash the shadows out slightly.

Both Light and Anim Light properties have offset from object fields - you can adjust Z value to raise the source of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    Both Light and Anim Light properties have offset from object fields - you can adjust Z value to raise the source of the light.
    Thank you PinkDot. Sorry, I should have been specific as to what I meant by "I should move it up via offset", as people don't know my skill level. I meant I will be using the Light prop innate setting to offset. Nothing new to report back on that, shadows still super dark. Likely going to have a detail attach another lesser light.

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140345

Should have found quad lit sooner. Boy, what you forget while you're away .

Quad lit makes it look faded it enough. I lose the pattern but that's a big flame, so it's fine. If it was smaller or a candle it would be good to have but not in this case. At least it doesn't light downward, as the base is blocking enough. Looks better. Still have some touch up. But think this works.

ZylonBane
    Under NewDark DromEd, ALL lights are quad lit when you do full lighting. Actually better than quad lit, depending on which soft shadowing option you pick.

Thanks ZB. I did see that info in the modders notes, will post below for others.

I've never known where this was set though?

"Shadow Softness"

- Light sampling mode. "Standard" is the normal mode of previous DromEd versions.
    The other modes work as if quad lighting was enable on all light source (object
    and brush lights). The different sampling modes determine the sample pattern,
    which affects the softness/blurriness of shadows. "High (4-pt avg)" corresponds
    to how quad lit object lights worked (except that with this option, quad lit
    would be applied to all lights, whether they are explicitly quad lit or not),
    which isn't particularly good quality. Using "High (9-pt wghtd avg)" or one of
    "Medium (5-pt wghtd avg)"/"Medium (9-pt wghtd avg)" are probably the best ones
    because they produce the least possible lightmap blockiness. The former is
    blurrier/softer, the latter two are less blurry. Which mode to use is an
    aesthetic choice of the mission author.

ZylonBane
    It's under the new Build dialog. Have you never used that?

OMG! I thought that was like a note within the menu because of the ellipses! Like "this is the build dialog below..." with light type and portilization etc in the rest of the drop down menu.

It all now connects haha omg. Well, this is as exciting as when I set a high Lightmap Scales and saw how great the castle looked. I can't wait to check it out. I like deeper shadows, and it helps the mood. So a little softness is okay. Thanks again ZB!

ZylonBane
    Umm... ellipses after a dropdown menu item in Windows has meant that it opens a dialog for like... at least 30 years now? It's an almost universal UI convention.

Yeah, no, I'm an idiot. I can see the same ... all over photoshop's menus too.