TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Summer Speedbuild Missions Released

Awesome surprise for me! Looking forward to exploring more of the Thief alt universe!!

i loved all the missions

Will upload these to taffers when i get in from work.

Finished all of them. Great job everyone!

I think this thread should be sticky instead of the previous (announcement thread) one?

Thanks to all the authors for providing those little gems - I wouldn't have thought that it will be 5 missions at least, was hoping for 2-3 but wow. First of all I'm impressed. None of the missions were lame, they all had something unique, looked all very good or even very beautiful, were detailed, had some interesting ways of using the gameplaymechanics. THIS WAS FUN! I can't pick a real favorite, at the end The Sunken Temple of Dielya was fitting my taste the most but in general they all had something special to them. For example I like how Falling, In Love has the competitive potential speedrunning for the lowest time and comparing it to others, Morning Light was beautiful and has this Alcazar/ItO style. Weird Masquerade was a great hommage to The Sword and Lone Rock Outpost had a really pretty and very believable feeling and details. So all in all, WOW!
    I played all of them on our channel btw.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...AgxKUaqnrwSQ7T

Thanks Alex. I think you're playing on T1 or with mods enabled perhaps?

https://i.imgur.com/TG4G9H6.png

Let me share a paste from the mission notes:

- The mission was built without any mods. It'll look better without em.
    Cheers
    Konrad

Missions can look like that even without mods. To my (admittedly limited) understanding, it's something about a mesh detail parameter that certain FMs can flip (e.g., Ascend the Dim Valley), which then persists for all future FMs until corrected in the cfg file.

I recall that happening to my games after playing Ascend the Dim Valley (played without mods, unless you consider TFix a 'mod'), and it didn't go away until I changed the param. I think there's a more fundamental fix to the problem, but I don't know what it is.

That sounds legit to me. Thanks for input, I didn't know about it.

Maybe projects like Angel Loader should add some functionality to prevent it?

I'm very pleased to announce we have a late entry into the speedbuild competition by Grandmauden. Check the OP for details.

I just wanted to pop in and congratulate and thank everyone that submitted FMs for the contest.
    That's six missions we didn't have last week!

Quote Originally Posted by Marzec View Post
    Thanks Alex. I think you're playing on T1 or with mods enabled perhaps?

https://i.imgur.com/TG4G9H6.png

Let me share a paste from the mission notes:

Cheers
    Konrad
    yeah I need to reinstall my TG...already had this issue in my TG Let'S Play which created strange but funny moments...when the face was suddenly on the back of the head and I didn't know which way the thug was looking

Set character_detail 0 in cam.cfg - I think it's an artefact on TFix trying to force T2 models on Thief 1?

It's likely to be the opposite issue. Presumably character_detail 0 has been written to the cam.cfg at some earlier point. There's a decent chance Ascend The Dim Valley was responsible.

Fortunately, it seems like there's a permanent fix: if the line is deleted from cam.cfg, it won't be written back to the file by fm.cfg or any other method, no matter if the cvar is set to 1 or 0. My failure to detect this issue was on account of having the line deleted at some earlier point in my DromEd install. Perhaps in future this line might be dropped from the cam.cfg packed with Tfix?

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBogan View Post
    It's likely to be the opposite issue. Presumably character_detail 0 has been written to the cam.cfg at some earlier point. There's a decent chance Ascend The Dim Valley was responsible.
    Out of curiosity, why did you even put this line into your mission? The first time I played Ascend the Dim Valley it changed character_detail to 0, but in my second playthrough I knew about that and changed this line in your fm.cfg to 1. The thing is I didn't notice any graphical difference at all in your mission.

I was having the same graphical issues at Supremcee. I deleted the character_detail 0 line from my cam.cfg, but that doesn't seem to fix the issue. Seems like character_detail 1 needs to be there for everything to look normal.

I don't understand why fm.cfg is making permanent changes to my Thief install. Isn't it supposed to only change settings for that particular FM?

It's a bug I guess, plain and simple. Not having access to the NewDark source code I of course can't speculate much on it, but it's clearly "leaking" a value out of its box, so to speak, and that's a big breaking of standard expectations. I'd be surprised if this doesn't get fixed in a future NewDark release, given Le Corbeau seems to have good eyes in the community and often fixes or adds things that people have talked about.

Well, I played them all in one day. When's the next contest?

So far I've played half and all were pleasant, if short, little bite-size experiences.

Im stuck in the tomb/crypt of the 4 emperors, any hints on how to escape..?

There's a thread for that one here: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151436

But if you're stuck by the elemental bridges, you need to trip them all with bricks.

Hope there would be another missions...

ta.

This was a fine respite from work and a nice dive back into thief. Love the small size and (relative) simplicity of the missions, which is such a rarity these days. The Lost City style mission was fun after having just replayed the TG Lost City mission. (Also found where I missed Return to the Lost City, which was great to play as well.)

@Brethren Will there be a vote?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    There is no voting on this contest, which was really more of a "contest".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast