TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Replay Missions?

Do You Replay Missions?

I am a player who plays/enjoys every mission. I play them in order and every few years I play TG and TMA again to remember the original feel of the classic games. Some players only play the type of missions they like best, but I play them all. Right now I am replaying some old TG missions which even though they are not as sophisticated as the newer missions, they are still a real joy.

My question. Do you go back and replay old missions? Do you replay them all or maybe just the absolute classics or the style you like best (city, mansion, caves, etc.).

Thanks and keep playing!

bbb

I replay missions that I love many times. I only came across fanmissions about 1-2 years ago and before that I only had the 3 thief games (gold, 2 and deadly shadows). By now I must have played every OM mission over a hundred times, if that is even enough. And I will do so with the fanmissions I like aswell. Playing them every once in a while again. Including yours btw bbb, they are always very enjoyable

I dont replay missions which I didnt like. I give every mission a 2. chance cause the first time I might not just have liked it cause I wasnt in the right mood for it but if I dislike it the 2. time aswell, I will never play it again cause I see it as a waste of my time then

Yes, I replay many old (and newer) missions. All the time.

I have a few firm favourites that I will always go back to every few years and replay. But, I mainly work down the "Brief Summaries of All The Missions" thread from A-Z and see what grabs my fancy. I just go with what I like the sound of.

Like Samantha1, I give all missions a second chance but will add it to the "not again" list if it's not my thing. I also try and replay missions differently from how I played the first time - if I remember! I try and take a different approach if possible, just to spice it up!

I do. The same way like I may rewatch a movie: after ~10 years when I don't remember any details or even some more important plot circumstances. That is almost like playing new FM.

Yes, I replay my favorites over and over. I've probably played Ominous Bequest over a dozen times, at this point. I typically play everything on expert the first time around, and then occasionally lower the difficulty to make re-plays a bit more casual.

I wish there was some medical way to precisely remove my knowledge of FMs from my brain so that I could experience my favorites as brand new, all over again. But even recycling them, already knowing the puzzles, plot and layout, they are still a treat

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    I wish there was some medical way to precisely remove my knowledge of FMs from my brain so ...
    I think I've got it. Some missions have names I remember but many dont such that after playing for a while I think This looks familiar and find Im replaying a mission. Careful what you wish for.

Definitely yes. I'm writing an EXCEL sheet with some information and a personal rating for every FM I ever played. Sometimes I replay those FMs which I found very impressing, but on the other hand there are lots of FMs (an estimated 20%) which for several reasons I never played to the end and therefore I'll never replay.
    Last edited by zappenduster; 28th Aug 2021 at 13:48.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

I replay missions that i enjoyed and i replay them in all difficult modes.

i replay most all missions 3-5+ times each

but once i get all secrets/loot i feel like i am pretty much done,but even then i forget what missions i 100% lol so it never ends

I replay missions often. I almost have a cyclical Thief calendar. "Welp, looks like it's time for Thief 2 X, again!"

I replay the original games every 1-2 years, and there are several FMs I play every year. Much of it depends on my mood. When I'm in a Thief Gold mood, I'll revisit Calendra's Cistern, Cult of the Resurrection, or Burglarly in Blackbrook, for examples. (A spooky mood is always great!) Then there are the classics that just always work, like The Inverted Manse or Rowena's Curse. There are many others - it's like always having a cornucopia to pull from.

yes I absolutely do replay lots of fan missions....especially now that they are so few being released these days....must have my Thief fix

Oh yeah. The easiest example is that I play A Thief's Holiday every year around Christmas to get into the holiday spirit and as part of my Christmas ritual.

The other one is Rowena's Curse, which I usually play once a year. (That was always the perfect FM for me, and I got into it more than her Seven Sisters, also great of course, I guess because RC is more encapsulated.)

After those two are Emilie Victor and Ominous Bequest, which I've played very many times. And then I go back and play some of my favorite contest FMs sometimes, because they're really short. I think FMs from 2003~2005 are in my sweet spot.

at minimum i definitely replay fan missions more than the base games since they're a shorter commitment and some times a greater ratio of quality from start to finish. i think i'm most prone to replaying a slew of winter maps because it makes for some of my favourite aesthetic and atmosphere... and is also much more bearable than winter in real life. from that i would hazard to guess that the first mission of Chalice of Souls is one of my most replayed overall.

I replay old favourites all the time. Calendra's Cistern/Legacy, Ruins of Originia, and Ink and Dust , probably got 100 replays from me so far collectively

Not at the moment. I got done completing all T1/TG missions that had been released by that point in December 2020. It was so many missions I did not have time for replaying any. Now I play intentionally “bad” missions for T2. Next, I want to see the entries from the recent Summer Speedbuild Competition. Afterwards, I want to complete all T2 missions which received a rating of 8.0 or above on Thief Guild. There is still so much content out there I won’t have time for replaying missions anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    I typically play everything on expert the first time around, and then occasionally lower the difficulty to make re-plays a bit more casual.
    I do the opposite.

I replay a few of my favorite missions now and then, once in a few years, but once I'm done with my big goal of trying every fan mission ever released (I'm pretty close to it), I will be replaying my highest rated missions a lot, which currently numbers to around 100. My highest rating is very good, then good > so so > c**p, and lastly scary - I don't like horror so I usually skip playing those.

With just a few exceptions, I almost never replay Thief 2 fan missions. The opposite is true for T1/TG missions, which I completely adore. Every autumn I like to replay atmospheric classics such as Autumn in Lampfire Hills, Calendra's Cistern, Bloodstone Prison, Lord Edmund Entertains, or Shadow of Doubt. Here is my personal list of these old FMs:
    https://www.thiefguild.com/fanmissio...tion=1&table=t

BBB, I have played Augustine's Revenge and Nigel's Hidden Treasure at least four times, thank you for your wonderful creations!

I do replay missions. Usually, I replay the ones I liked. I take notes, which once started a bit like zappenduster's habit of listing missions in a table. Meanwhile, these notes get larger and larger, and contain hints to puzzles and other difficult spots. I just read some of my ancient notes again yesterday, and the first ones were just like "Nice mission, but a bit short" or "What a piece of..." (you can guess the missing word yourself, I think).

I also have the weird ability to almost completely switch off my memories of movies, books, games, or Thief missions at will. Thus, I select missions I know, then "forget" what they were like, and can replay them with almost as much reward as I had on first playthrough.

The missions I replay are usually selected because I want to play something I know will entertain me, and because of another reason present at the time of selecting. For example, if I'm fed up with the world in general and my fellow humans in particular, I often select missions where the protagonist travels through abandoned territories (and frequently finds the undead populace hiding there). On other occasions, I play missions with snow, fog, and sometimes even certain environments like the somewhat exotic plants in the last mission of "Sturmdrang Peak".

Missions which I don't like, however, usually come to rest in a distant corner of my backup hard discs, and start to collect dust and cobwebs there.-shrug-

Generally, no. Though I do replay A Thief's Holiday every year during the holiday season. And if a new version or remake of an older mission comes out, I'll replay those if the changes are significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    With just a few exceptions, I almost never replay Thief 2 fan missions. The opposite is true for T1/TG missions, which I completely adore. Every autumn I like to replay atmospheric classics such as Autumn in Lampfire Hills, Calendra's Cistern, Bloodstone Prison, Lord Edmund Entertains, or Shadow of Doubt. Here is my personal list of these old FMs:
    https://www.thiefguild.com/fanmissio...tion=1&table=t

BBB, I have played Augustine's Revenge and Nigel's Hidden Treasure at least four times, thank you for your wonderful creations!
    Same here, i rarely replay Thief 2 fan missions unless it is something i really like and straight forward mission, but Thief Gold and its fan missions are a different story.. Thanks for the list too, it might come useful later.

I replay missions all the time. Actually doing the Trickster Gem Mine series now.

Continually.

Yours are among my favourites for sheer taffibility. Nothing complicated - just taffin' around. Thank you for this.

I am a slow FM player, I believe I have played only about one quarter (or less) of all FMs released. But some of them I have replayed, like TTGM series. I always set a rule to myself. If I decide to replay a mission, it has to be replayed around the same time as when playing it for the first time. For example-I played TTGM series for the first time at the start of January, so if I want to replay it again, I must wait until then. Don't ask why. I remember playing TG for the first time, it was February. My second playthrough went a year and two months later and it somehow didn't feel right.
    Last edited by LostCitizen; 3rd Sep 2021 at 09:39.

I don't replay missions as much as I used to and even then it was only a handful of ones that I really loved. Thief's Holiday FMs are a common replay.

At present, I'm replaying (almost always on expert) through all of the T1/G missions in order of release date (at least as best as Darkloader is determining the release date). Interesting progression of missions with so many of the early FMs being a mixed bag of awkward almost hodgepodge missions to missions like Gathering at the Bar that don't quite feel like Thief 1 or 2 to some good Thief 1 style FMs.

I recently pulled out my old backup discs and started playing old missions. In the past I would replay a mission if it just randomly came to mind one day. I will say that while designing my own mission I replay them too many times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast