TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An apology

Thiefmissions.com

An apology

I have been away for far too long. The reasons don't really matter, but basically life keeps happening and there has always been something more important in life than doing any work on thiefmissions besides keeping it running. Sometimes I think I would like to try to get it updated again. Sometimes I even think I would like to rewrite everything to be somehow more useful. Generally I dismiss those thoughts because there's always something else to do.

I gather there has been some concern about the long term viability of the thiefmissions archive. I don't recall that anyone involved in the recent discussion reached out to me about that, but I probably missed something. I can assure you that I do have copies of the thiefmissions data in multiple places, so it should be safe from most things barring a collapse of civilization. Of course that doesn't mean there's no reason for other people to have their own copies, because it would be tough for you to get that data if something should happen to me.

I thought there were other sites which were going to spring up to replace thiefmissions, and I was happy to just let it sit around until that happened. I'm not sure that ever did happen, though.

What bothers me most about the current state of thiefmissions is that there may be out of date versions of missions there. If I do anything with the site besides base maintenance, I would like to rectify that. At this point I don't really know where to start. I would be happy to have a conversation about that, and maybe I can do something.

I see there is still a community here, which I would like to be a part of again. I see there are still new FMs being released, which I think is wonderful. I would certainly like to play them one day. And I see that there does appear to still be a need for thiefmissions, which makes me happy but also sad. I would like to offer my apology to each of you in the community for letting you down, and while I can't promise to fix anything, I would like to try.

Thank you for still being here.

Nice to hear: your site is the most convenient if you just want to come and grab a mission to play.
    Without those modern bells-and-whistles which are just distracting and look ugly.
    Please, don't change the interface drastically.

Welcome back!

Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    Me too. I like the easy interface. Despite not having the latest missions, it is still useful. I use your site - indeed, I downloaded an older FM about 5 minutes ago! It is so easy to use

Yes, there are other sites - they are kept up-to-date, so are very much appreciated too. But I don't see them as a replacement to yours, as such, simply just another way to get our hands on FMs! Peace

Welcome back!
    I really don't think there is any need for an apology here. There are priorities in life and the fact that you kept the site online all these years even if it hasn't been updated in a very long time was already a very nice gesture.

Glad to have you back!

I definitely still use the site regularly!

Got very excited when I saw epithumia is posting again! Welcome back!

Taffers Paradise is a very good fan mission archive nowadays. Does not have search, but seems to have all the missions in the list.

Welcome home, epithumia! Thiefmissions is a veritable cornerstone of the FM community, if you need any help let us know.

Thief Guild is another great site that grew over the course of the last few years. It does not host missions, but it covers ratings, screenshots, videos and reviews very well.

Glad to hear you want to try and update the site. However, don't feel like you have to put your own life on hold just for that.

first off you don't have to say sorry for anything

i like the site how it is,just add missions that are missing and all newdark missions,not sure if pre newdark missions are still wanted out by authors?

and welcome back from me and dewdrop and raindrop

I agree with the comments above, I also use thiefmissions regularly and since we got so used to the basic but effective (and the most logical for keeping traffics as low as possible) overlay I would love it to stay that way. Of course it's always a bit dissapointing if you don't find a mission there (connected with the thread, and maybe the walkthrough etc which is one of my fav. features of your page) but I think everybody in this community understands that everything here (from the forums, to thiefmissions etc.) is made by fans and we are all happy that it still exists - and understand that it can't be you no. 1 priority. even if it's not up2date but still effecient to look for older missions. Also there are pages that tried to jump in but they are not as simple to use or want to much so in my impression thiefmissions was and still is the perfect place and I thank you so much for this archive because I used it hundreds of times

In my opinion Lord Soth created the best alternative so far with his taffersparadise, it's not as convenient but Ctrl+F does the job if you're looking for sth.

also we have thiefguildwhich adds a modern touch, but is not as easy to read because of the more graphical approach but this also had its huge pluses

We appreciate everybody that is still contributing so don't feel bad if you can't right now or anymore maybe, you granted us something amazing already
    Last edited by Supremcee; 2nd Sep 2021 at 16:02.
    Thief Podcast - Inside at Last Megathread >>> https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149898

First of all, no need to apologize.

Everyone appreciates your efforts over the years. Your site was always my go to site and still is for older missions.

You (and numerous others) have provided a great service to the Thief community free of charge. Thank you for all your hard work! There is no other community like this one.

bbb

I agree that there's no need for an apology, and nor is there any need to apologise for the unnecessary apology.

We all know that that these things are done as a hobby and very much appreciate the effort. We also know that life happens. I think one thing that would help thiefmissions stay up to date is to allow other people to be involved. Your website has an upload feature but it then relies on you to manually make things available. That could create a bit of pressure if you want to catch up with all the releases. Best to see if you can spread the load.

Nice comeback!

For me http://thiefmissions.com was and is the first server to look for older FMs, not although, no, because it has an efficient "old-fashioned", unfussy style. So I second this:
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    I've sent you a PM in 2017 about some FMs which I translated into a multi-language version but seems you never read it. Nevermind, I'll update that list, maybe you would like to add the supplemented FM ZIPs when you have time.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Welcome back!
    I really don't think there is any need for an apology here. There are priorities in life and the fact that you kept the site online all these years even if it hasn't been updated in a very long time was already a very nice gesture.
    100% agree

@epithumia Maybe we could combine keeping missions up-to-date on ThiefMissions.com, by uploading them from ThiefGuild.com directly? Do you see a possibility for a simple API or FTP access? I would certainly love to work on that!

Cheers
    Konrad

You don't need to apologise for anything, you're providing a service to the community for free

Last I checked, web space cost actual money & to my knowledge no one gives you a penny for hosting all these missions

Then there's your time maintaining this archive, which OK you've had to devote to other things for a while, but it's still your time & you don't get anything back except our undying gratitude

So please don't apologise for being busy or having other priorities

And if anyone complains, I suggest they try running their own mission archive/download service they may be a little more appreciative of your efforts then

Welcome back!

Thiefmissions is still my first go-to site, I hope you can update it. Even if you upload just a few new missions here and there, in a few months it could be up to date

I don't know what would I do without your site, it basically made me join fanmission community

If you plan on doing any thiefmissions updates, these two threads may be of some assistance:

FM Summaries complete with release years and usually newdark update info.
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148090

FM Walkthrough/Lootlist links:
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151182

Good to see you are still interested in this old game/forum I use your site frequently especially when there is a pause in new missions. I go back and pick missions from your site that other people suggest to replay. As for the format I like it the way it is, it is very easy to navigate.
    On another note have you looked at Taffers Paradise it is a great site and very up to date.
    Thank you for your site it has been very much appreciated!!
    pwl

Welcome back! Your site had been a valuable resource for me over the years and I'd love to see all the new missions added.

I'm just plain glad to hear from you.....

Its good to see you here again Jason. I agree that there is no need to apologize. Your site has been iconic in the Thief world, but RL takes priority over playing or supporting Thief (and any other game as well). Playing Thief and other games is a good way to temporarily escape the daily stresses, but in my later years I would not want to look back and see that game playing was #1 on my list. I appreciate everything you have done for the TTLG community, and it would be really great if thiefmissions could be updated with the newer missions.

Welcome back!

I've used thiefmissions countless of times over the years and I still use it. So, thanks for keeping it running all this time! It would be awesome if you decide to update thiefmissions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast