TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Into the Dark Forest - New Dark Remastered(03/09/2021

Into the Dark Forest - New Dark Remastered(03/09/2021

This new version attempts to address some of the problems and criticism of the original.

Changes:
    - Added new areas, improved the design of older areas, deleted some old areas
    - Fixed a lot of bugs and problems reported by players
    - Added a lot of new objects
    - Added new maps
    - Added a lot more loot, changed the loot goals
    - Fixed the gameplay a bit

Screenshots:

https://ibb.co/BqfHjSr
    https://ibb.co/QNzYNyp
    https://ibb.co/swcTZ2n
    https://ibb.co/mvd0vn3
    https://ibb.co/SmSp4Hc
    https://ibb.co/5xZX7cw
    https://ibb.co/kyvtKYS

Important: This mission is for Thief 2 The Metal Age. T2Fix_1.27d (with all the optional features) or newer is required. This mission was built in New Dark 1.27 version.

Mission updated to version 4.1.

Update changes: Added fm.cfg file which was missing from the mission archive.

Version 4.1 Update Link: 72,5 Mb (160 Mb Unpacked):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j9H...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Master of Dromed; 10th Sep 2021 at 13:24.

This mission needs proper beta testing. I just played for 5 min and discovered a lot of bugs.

1) you can go through many objects like trees, big bushes, lamp near guard's tower and also cradle. It's possible that these objects will be solid at first, but it needs just couple of tries to go through them and then all objects become pass through.

2) ladder in guard's tower isn't climbable. Is that intentional?

3) rope arrows don't work on wood (at least not in guard's tower and outside grass). They just vanish.

4) it's very hard to get out of river. I only managed to get out in one spot near bridge and I couldn't be too close to ground to successfully mantle.

Edit: OK, nevermind. I played this mission on Tafferpatcher 1.25 and this mission doesn't work properly on it. Tried T2Fix and it works fine. This is seriously the first mission that plays so broken on Tafferpatcher and I think it would be a good idea to mention that in first post.
    Last edited by Galaer; 3rd Sep 2021 at 18:40.

Yes T2Fix_1.27d at least is required. This mission was built in New Dark 1.27 version.
    Last edited by Master of Dromed; 8th Sep 2021 at 22:18.

Neat, the original Dark Forest had a lot of ideas I liked but I also definitely thought it could use an update to fix some big flaws. I probably won't get to play this new version until later in the weekend, but I took a quick look around the beginning and it is very noticeably improved.

Will enjoy seeing all the improvements, the screenshots look promising.
    Last edited by fortuni; 5th Sep 2021 at 13:53.

A grand improvement! Looks stunning now. Kinda been feeling like I need to read a gothic novel or something lately and this FM definitely delivers in that regard! Plays great too - I didn't even enter the mine yet, but it felt great to find the hidden items and secrets at the beginning portion of the FM. I love the use of sound too. Gonna be playing this through the weekend . Thanks a lot for this!

May I please have a hint for the location of the treasury key? I have the cell key and searched the prisoner's cell and body, but no treasury key found. I figure I'm looking in the wrong places. Thanks.

In the prisoner cell is a secret compartment in the wall. The switch is hidden behind the Iron Maiden. In the compartment is the key to the treasury.

I have NewDark 1.27 installed but not T2Fix 1.27 and there are some weird things in the starting area (the console in the guard tower is not displayed so the scroll inside seems to float in the air, same thing for the piece of meat). Are there some optional features of T2Fix 1.27 which are needed for this mission?

Are there some optional features of T2Fix 1.27 which are needed for this mission?
    Yes i think so. Without T2Fix_1.27d you will not be able to play properly the mission. I will also recommend a full install of T2Fix_1.27d (with all the optional components).
    Last edited by Master of Dromed; 10th Sep 2021 at 22:49.

@ Pavis

Newdark is primely a patch that massively increases the ability of Dromed allowing authors to make very much bigger and better missions.

T2Fix is user patch that fixes many issues found in the original game, FMs and the Newdark patch, so yes essential to patch your game with T2Fix (and TFix for TG game)

Thanks Master of Dromed. I think I was just being too clumsy in that room. I thought something was there and thought I saw it, but didn't spend enough time frobbing.

Mission beaten in 4 hours 20 min. I collected 5739 loot, found 11 secrets and missed all new areas. Overall it's huge improvement. There is a lot of detail, more shadow and less AI, so it's easier to sneak through. Mission is also more linear and there is only one path leading to next area. Really wish there was some kind of shortcut to the starting point (like teleportation from Mages Compound to City Gates). Only mine has shortcuts, but other areas don't have that. That's why return path feels long. But that's the only complaint I have. Overall it was fun experience.

I spent a long time looking through the factory and mines. I eventually found a way out but it led me right back to the beginning!

Can someone give me a hint on how to proceed to a new area?

Look on your map and go south to the exit tunnels. Once there go to the west to the hammerite village.

Very nice mission, had fun with it! The level of detail in some of the areas (mines, factory, mages sanctuary) is amazing!

I missed a lot of loot and secrets, i'll try to find some more.

Many thanks to the author.
    Last edited by Wilkins; 7th Sep 2021 at 11:44.

downloading mission now,i remember playing first version and the cliffs with ledges at top had a chest with nothing ,that got me mad,but i did finish mission on expert

i look forward to redoing updated version in a bit,will post update on results

the best part from memory was the mage's apartments :P in first version

also you might want to let people know if this is a thief 1/g/2 mission i did not see it listed and i used fmsel and it dont let me know :O

update= mission is not working right on thief 2 and yes i updated to 1.27 before playing,in first guard house letter is not frobable he cant hurt me,table phases in and out of game,so i left the game there figuring it would only get worse?,on thief gold it would crash after starting mission from objectives

so over all not playable for me,so what mission type is it? my fmsel's i got never let me down before
    Last edited by downwinder; 8th Sep 2021 at 19:00.

downwinder, the mission is for Thief 2. I played it on T2 NewDark v1.27 (made with T2Fix v1.27d), and I noticed no severe problems. I found some readables which could not be taken, and some of them were not important. The one about Xaviar I would have liked to carry around, but that readable could not be taken. Some others, though, could be taken. I therefore assume that the ones I could not pick up were not meant to be taken away, and that no bug was involved. There were even several readables that could not be read at all, but I do think that this was on purpose, too.

I liked this version of the mission a lot more than the first version. The first version consisted of many large but empty areas which I found plain boring after a while, and I finally gave up. And although I think that even in this second version, the area where one plays is too large, it was not boring. Instead, one could see interesting characteristics of the different areas. For example, the Hammers had rather cramped and small spaces in their areas, while the Mages' buildings were far more spacious. The Hammers had to live with the little space the mines and the areas of the factory and the village offered to them, while the Mages built their home in a spot better suited for building freely, and saw to it that it provided them with much comfort.

The readables that could not be taken and also the ones that could not even be read are examples of the details the author has put into the (Hammers') architecture. They would certainly have several readables that lie around on desks, but are not of interest for Garrett. He would certainly not study their rather fanatic beliefs in written form very long; same goes for detailed reports about what and how much the Hammers pulled out of their mines.

The Mages, on the other hand, also had some areas with books that were not of interest for Garrett either, but since Mages are supposed to write down (and probably also read) a lot, it is reasonable to assume that they would organize their writings in books or ledgers rather than put single sheets in various locations. And that is what we see in this mission.

I think that the Hammers' and Mages' areas are examples of places created with more realism (at least when it comes to size) than we see in other missions. Shamrock, instead, may have been a bit too small to give a realistic impression of a village in the woods. On the other hand, the areas of the Mages and Hammers might have been too detailed for a good gameplay experience - I spent far too much time running around in endless rooms looking for some McGuffin to be found somewhere. The maps of the Hammer area were not of much use for me; I could hardly find my bearings even with them. And yet, this is certainly rather subjective - if someone likes this kind of exploration a bit more than I do, he/she will feel himself right at home with this mission.

I think the main task of this mission is not to fulfil your objectives, but to find your way in unknown parts of the country with limited help by people or maps. If someone does not like exploration, this mission certainly is not for him/her. Whether this all satisfies you mainly depends on what you want to play - and that's the big difference from the first version: It gave us a large but rather empty area, where this version gives us at least something detailed. Perhaps a bit too much, but I could live with it.

ok that makes sense ty

going to just play it on thief 2 fmsel and see if i can get to the end as baeuchlein mentioned above i look forward to this run

downwinder you need to install T2Fix_1.27d in full (with the optional features too) not only the basic vanilla version. I think this may be the problem for you. Other players reported this problem too.
    Last edited by Master of Dromed; 10th Sep 2021 at 22:50.

I usually do not install every bell and whistle with T2Fix, and yet it worked for me. It must be something near-basic that is required here.

EDIT: Found a hardcopy of my selections when installing T2Fix for my Thief 2 installation. I only selected "NewDark 1.27", "Complete Mission and Resource Fix" and "Thief 2 FM fixes". Selected "Default" for "Video preset". Selected "Force VSync", "Enable Multisampling", "Enable New Mantle" and "Enable Mantling corrections" in "Advanced Options". Everything else was deselected. That should limit the things to install until the mission is playable.
    Last edited by baeuchlein; 8th Sep 2021 at 23:08.

I tested it with T2Fix_1.27d "Basic -New Dark and Fixed Resources" and it worked fine. But if you select Custom Installation and do not check any of the boxes(do not select anything) it does not work properly. I think some feature of the "Complete Mission and Resource Fix" is required for the mission to work properly.

i did regular install of 1.27 left last option unchecked as it was not needed,textures pop in and out of game while playing,npc's appear and disapear so you cant blackjack them,ladders dont appear unless you bump into them,some doors are pure black and you have to yolo through them hoping nothing bad is on other side

i like first version better,was never able to make it out of mines

i ran it on fmsel from thief 2 game

windows 7 1.6 ghz,4gb of ram=junk i know
    Last edited by downwinder; 9th Sep 2021 at 04:51.

Don't know why this weird things appear on your installation.. No one reported anything like this until now but people used Angel Loader on tests.. maybe Fmsel is the culprit? I use windows 7 too.. 4mb of ram too.. very similar conditions to yours
    Last edited by Master of Dromed; 9th Sep 2021 at 00:19.

I played through FMsel on Win7 and had absolutely no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast