TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Release] X-Raydar (T1/G/2) (OM and universal FM mod)

[Release] X-Raydar (T1/G/2) (OM and universal FM mod)

This is an immersion-breaking or cheaty kind of mod. Then again, I personally find it much more distracting to read mission loot walkthroughs to track down those tiny coin objects. Maybe other "100% completion" OCD sufferers will find this mod helpful as well.

https://github.com/saracoth/newdark-mods

This effect is turned off by default. The mod gives you a toggle item to switch these indicators on and off.

The mod includes optional files for each indicator category. Depending on your preference, this might display just loot, or it might display just about anything that could be interesting.

Full list of available radar modules:
    • Loot. Out in the open, in chests, on someone's belt--wherever.
    • Pickpocketable items, regardless of type. Coin purses, quiver arrows, etc.
    • Secrets and objectives. This is more hit-or-miss than other modules, given the many ways objectives can be handled.
    • Keys, arrows/crystals, and other equipment.
    • Unread books, scrolls, etc.
    • Various devices--buttons, switches, levers, pressure plates, etc.
    • Containers with stuff in them, regardless of the specific contents.
    • Creatures. Ignores killed and KO'd creatures. Displays only enemies, unless neutral (rats) or allied (Basso) creatures are enabled as well.

The dot's color indicates the category, and its size indicates the distance. In theory, there may be some exotic scenarios where an item cannot be detected, but I haven't encountered any in practice.

Latest version, further documentation, and installation instructions are in the Github repo. Mod requires NewDark v1.27 or higher.

https://github.com/saracoth/newdark-mods

Changelog:
    • v2.5 (2021-09-09): Initial public release. Previous versions used wildly different techniques and could only detect or display nearby items.
    • v2.6 (2021-09-11): Small bugfixes and project cleanup. Details on Github.
    • v2.7 (2021-10-10): Added secrets and objectives. Created DMM packages. Various small improvements. Details on Github.
    Last edited by Saracoth; 10th Oct 2021 at 21:32. Reason: Version update

Are you fingerprinting these mods to make it easy for FM authors to ensure that they don’t work on their missions?

I considered whether to build in kill switches for that purpose, and so far have not. I'm open to hearing opinions, since there are different perspectives at play.

If it's a matter of incompatibility or bugs, of course I'd like to prevent and fix those. But I hate the thought of someone bothering an FM author over an issue I caused. Maybe a good safety net would be for me to show a warning message at the start of non-OMs?

However, if it's merely a difference in gameplay preferences of the FM author and FM player, I see that as a dispute between those two people, and it's not my place to pick a side. I sympathize with the artist's desire for creative control, and I respect the player's autonomy in deciding how they want to spend their time. So far, I've created neither circumvention nor anti-circumvention features.

ZylonBane
    A version that only highlights objects you have direct line of sight to might be slightly less egregious.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracoth View Post
    I sympathize with the artist's desire for creative control
    i dont. the desire to tightly control the players experience is stifling, and antithetical to the purpose of the immersive sim genre. as an fm author, i get to shape the space the player will play in, but give up control so as to give freedom to the player. whether they like to supreme ghost, or speedrun, or swordfight, or ironman, or quickload a lot, or search for loot themselves, or use a walkthrough or a mod like this—i give the player a space to play in, and then it is up to them how they choose to approach that space and enjoy themselves in it (or not). the player is the co-author of the experience.

personally this mod (and most others) is not something i would want to use. but i would be foolish to want to blacklist it from my missions.

i feel thief 3 glint effect on loot was the best one ever,also liked how it was timed on glint so sometimes you had to sit and just look for a short bit to see if anything was loot,not counting loot behind safes/etc

i kinda laugh thinking next will be the loot vacuum just get close to loot and it auto picks it up :P

Quote Originally Posted by Saracoth View Post
    The dot's color indicates the category, and its size indicates the distance. In theory, there may be some exotic scenarios where an item cannot be detected, but I haven't encountered any in practice.
    I can think of a few instances.. such as, in cases where something looty is teleported in when something was previously frobbed.. Especially in a lot of older missions, where "tricks" had to be used to prevent things like frobbing something through a door; we have scripts and other properties to deal with this now, but it wasn't always so. FM authors would get creative and hide loot somewhere else, then when something like a door was opened to a safe or cabinet, etc, the frob would teleport in the object into place where it can then be grabbed.

I'm assuming this mod would initially show the lootable object off in the "void" somewhere in a blue room or hidden area inaccessible to the player at first. Just a supposition ofc.

All true. In those cases, it's as you suppose. The void-room thing is also common for teleporting in creatures partway through a level, even in some OMs. And of course, objects and creatures created during play can't be seen until after they're spawned.

So, yeah, not everything that is detectable is actionable. In some cases you talk about, the device radar might show the thing we need to frob. But it'll also highlight alarm buttons for NPCs to press and other objects someone would rather not interact with. Enabling all the radars is pretty cluttering like that, but it's not quite as overwhelming when backtracking through a "completed" level to see what I overlooked along the way.

In theory, I think mission-specific highlights could be created to cover corner cases, especially for objectives. I don't expect there's any real demand for that sort of thing, but it's nice that NewDark has so much flexibility. Exploring its features while making this mod was a lot of fun.

I think it would be nice if there was an option for this mod to only show loot objects when the player is close to achieving the loot goal (or maybe the total loot). The definition of 'close' is subject to debate.

On the rare occasions I play FMs, I prefer to do what I can without looking things up etc. However, the experience can become annoying if I'm close to the loot goal, and it feels like I've been all over the map. When this happens I tend to think the author has tried to be too clever. A fan mission should also be about being in a story, so having to spend ages looking for that last bit of loot starts to feel silly, especially if I know there's another mission to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I think it would be nice if there was an option for this mod to only show loot objects when the player is close to achieving the loot goal (or maybe the total loot). The definition of 'close' is subject to debate.

On the rare occasions I play FMs, I prefer to do what I can without looking things up etc. However, the experience can become annoying if I'm close to the loot goal, and it feels like I've been all over the map. When this happens I tend to think the author has tried to be too clever. A fan mission should also be about being in a story, so having to spend ages looking for that last bit of loot starts to feel silly, especially if I know there's another mission to go to.
    You gotta let that stuff go, man.

I used to try and get all the loot in FMs/OMs... but soon realized that a lot of FM authors are sadistic little *!(&#'s and enjoy torturing me.

In most of them now, I just get what's required and continue on with the story. Why a piece of gold would be way up on a rafter in a huge building with no clear way up there just ruins my immersion.

The second part of my post was referring to the loot goal, not the total loot.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    The second part of my post was referring to the loot goal, not the total loot.
    Oops. In my defense, its hard to type around a chihuahua in your lap!

Ok, so I installed this manually into my TG mods folder, edited my cam mod ini with mod_path usermods+Mods\Just4Fun. but it doesn't work, there's no extra compass in my inventory. Not sure what I missed

I don't know if that's intended to be an example configuration, but if it's your actual file then the semicolons are the issue. Any line that starts with a semicolon gets ignored by the game as a comment.

The config files that come with NewDark use those comments both to explain what a setting does, and show an example of how it could be configured, without actually changing anything. You want something like this:

; vvv This line starts with a semicolon and does nothing.
    ; these are the normal mod paths which are applied after the active FM in the search order
    ;
    ; vvv Removed the leading semicolon and spaces, so the next line starts with the letter "m"
    mod_path usermods+Mods\Just4Fun
    Hopefully after that, all that's needed is to restart the game and start a new mission

Hmm, so I removed the semicolon, same issue

Darn. If you're willing to run through the steps in https://github.com/saracoth/newdark-...bleshooting.md I'll take a look at your Thief.log and your dbmod.log files to see if anything looks odd. If you're concerned about sharing either of those in public for any reason, you can try pasting them into a private message to me on TTLG.

Thanks. Here's my DB log
    https://file.io/yaMW96Eo2FZE

My Thief log:

https://file.io/PuBcv1HTiG30

There's a bunch of errors in the DB, eg
    Code:
    WARNING: archetype "J4FRadarCyberModulePOI" not created, an object (-5557) with that name already exists

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_01_direct_script.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\Mods\Just4Fun\dbmods\', loading... (40200)
    WARNING: archetype "J4FRadarEnableDirectScript" not created, an object (-5570) with that name already exists

Thank you very much! This is helpful

The logs show Thief loading multiple copies of the mod from a few different places. You must have been fighting to get this working for a while! Sorry about that.

• D:\ThiefG\patches\dbmods
    • D:\ThiefG\dbmods
    • D:\ThiefG\Mods\Just4Fun\dbmods

Maybe some of the copies are only getting half-loaded and confusing or tripping up the later ones? It's worth seeing whether deleting any j4f files from the first two spots helps. Including subfolders, like if there's a D:\ThiefG\patches\dbmods\miss_all\just4fun_radar_ui.dml file or something.

(For anyone else following along, Dark Mod Manager should handle these mods just fine with fewer steps. That said, there's nothing wrong with preferring or needing the manual approach )

Weird. So I deleted all, but the ones in Thief G\mods\just4fun
    The Dbmod now shows no errors, but there's still nothing in my inventory

Let me try the DMM

Yeah didn't work either. I even deleted the one in the mods folder (because DMM has its own), no compass
    EDIT: Also tried in in T2 with DMM, doesn't show either

Darn. That rules out a lot of obvious stuff, but if you've got the patience we can keep at it.

One thing I've tripped up on with DMM in the past is that, IIRC, mods are deactivated by default after adding them to the list. Might still be necessary to activate them, then apply changes, and launch game.

Just to confirm, are you scrolling through your inventory to look for the radar compass after starting a mission? I realize I might be implying it shows up in the Starting Gear menu before a mission, but it actually appears after starting/playing.

I just pushed a new version to github. It adds some more logging messages on startup. If it's not too much bother, could you:
    1. Try installing the new version of the mod
    2. If you've been reinstalling the game or adding new stuff like DMM, doublecheck that cam.cfg still says dbmod_log 1
    3. Start a mission, far enough you can at least walk around and stuff
    4. Close the game
    5. Send along your new thief.log, dbmod.log, and cam_mod.ini

I'm hoping to see some new startup messages from J4FRadar in thief.log:

Code:
    : D3DProvider: Enumeration done
    : sw framerate cap requested (10000 us)
    : D3DProvider StartMode: smode 1920x1080x32 ; mode 640x480x32 (5 9 0 2D) ; 2d_surf_mode: 0
    :    CreateDevice: res = D3D_OK ; 1920x1080 fmt=22 zfmt=75 cnt=1 ms=8 swap=1 fs=1 hz=0 pres=1 flags=2
    : Loaded script module "miss02.osm" [FileModDate=1999-Sep-28]
    : Loaded script module "squirrel.osm" [FileVer=1.0.2.0 ; ProductVer=1.0.2.0 ; FileModDate=2018-Oct-30]
    : Loaded script module "script-t1.osm" [FileVer=2.1.0.0 ; ProductVer=2.1.0.0 ; FileModDate=2009-Aug-19]
    : Loaded script module "nvscript.osm" [FileVer=1.2.4.0 ; ProductVer=1.2.4.0 ; FileModDate=2018-Aug-21]
    : OSM: SQUIRREL> J4FRadar: J4FRadarUi OnBeginScript fired
    : OSM: SQUIRREL> J4FRadar: J4FRadarUi OnSim starting
    : OSM: SQUIRREL> J4FRadar: Giving player a J4FRadarControlItem
    Or if not, at least some more obvious issues in one of those three log/config files

Thanks again for your patience. Nobody wants their fun time to turn into a frustrating chore!

Thanks for all the help!

So I reinstalled it, but not showing up yet, I was scrolling through the inventory

Thief log
    Cam mod file

Here's the DB log

Code:
    INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_00_base.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_01_direct_script.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_02_shock.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_02_thief.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_bookdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_containerdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_creaturedar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_devicedar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_equipdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_lootdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_pocketdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_questdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_11_creature_good.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_11_creature_neutral.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_11_T1_equip.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_11_T2_equip.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_20_codedar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_20_containerdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_20_creaturedar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_20_equipdar_slotless.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_20_equipdar_slotted.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_20_equipdar_stacked.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_20_moduledar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_20_nanitedar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_20_readdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_21_creature_good.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_21_creature_neutral.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_00_base.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_01_direct_script.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_02_thief.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_bookdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_containerdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_creaturedar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_devicedar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_equipdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_lootdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_pocketdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_10_questdar.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_11_creature_good.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_11_creature_neutral.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_11_T1_equip.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\', loading... (40200)

INFO: found file 'just4fun_radar_ui.dml' in path 'D:\ThiefG\DMM\J4F-radar_all_in_one\dbmods\miss_all\', loading... (11900
    )

Okay! I've got a lead, at least, and sorry I didn't spot it earlier, but it was in the first thief.log file you sent as well.

From your thief.log file:
    Code:
    Failed to load script module "squirrel.osm" (error code 126)
    The squirrel module is required to run code in the sq_scripts folders of the mod. Unfortunately, that's where all of the logic lives. Adding the inventory item, displaying stuff on screen, and the new log messages. Even if the DML files load, they end up being nonfunctional.

In my Thief Gold Install:
    Code:
    : Loaded script module "squirrel.osm" [FileVer=1.0.2.0 ; ProductVer=1.0.2.0 ; FileModDate=2018-Oct-30]
    I think my installation was patched with TFix. But the latest NewDark files include squirrel.osm in its contrib.zip file. It should be enough to put the squirrel.osm file in the same directory as your thief.exe

I hadn't thought to mention this, since squirrel.osm is supposed to be part of a standard NewDark v1.27 install, and that's what you were running. Do you mind if I ask how your Thief Gold got patched to version 1.27? Was it pre-instsalled (like from GOG or something), installed through a program like TFix, or manually installed? Just curious, since it might help me drill down to solutions for anyone else with trouble in the future.

Thanks again for providing all this useful troubleshooting information. I'm sorry it took so long to hone in on this. Hopefully, it's the last puzzle piece.

Wow that worked, thank you very, very much!

I think I was copying files manually at every Newdark update, and for some reason I overlooked that one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast