TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: ShockEd: How to trigger AI spawn?

SShock2.com

ShockEd: How to trigger AI spawn?

I apologise in advance if this has been extensively covered, but I read the tutorials and searched the forums, and I could not find the answer, hence this thread. But I suck at searching, perhaps it's obvious. Sorry.

In the last 3-4 days, I got back in to ShockEd after not touching it for about 15-odd years, so I had to relearn everything, and some things might have changed. I'm certainly a lot dumber, that's for sure. Apparently there's a thing called Newdark now.

My issue is this: I am attempting to trigger a spawn of an AI, literally at the touch of a button. Not one AI once, that can be teleported from elsewhere, but to repeatedly spawn an AI of the exact same type in the same marker location every time I click a button, or whatever other trigger I choose. It seems so simple, perhaps this is so obvious that it's only briefly mentioned in the tutorials and I overlooked it, so, please, if you can spare the time, talk to me like I'm a complete moron here. You might be right.

I've put down the marker. I've made the button. I'm going through the Link options, but I'm too thick to figure out how I can do this.
    Boing. Peng. Boom-Tschak. Peng.

System Shock 2 Walkthrough

ZylonBane
    Just send a TurnOn to a DirectMonsterGen object. How to set them up (scroll down to "Monster Generator").

SShock2.com

Thanks, that's set me on the path of discovery. I haven't solved the problem yet, it's too late and I'm tired, but I got about halfway, thanks. I'll report back if I can get it working.

SShock2.com

Worked like a charm, thanks. It was indeed very simple.

All I did was I created a button and a DirectMonsterGenerator, and set up a SwitchLink from the button to the generator. I added Script/EcoType and left it at 0, and added Script/Spawn, OG-Pipe, 100 and left the other three Types blank. PopLimit and SelfMarker on, all other flags off. Supply 0.

Now I can spawn a pipe hybrid at the touch of a button. Or as it happens, I'll probably change that to a tripwire but a button will do for testing purposes.
    Boing. Peng. Boom-Tschak. Peng.

System Shock 2 Walkthrough

Zombified
    you probably want raycast, unless you are ok with the player witnessing the AIs spawning sometimes - only very rarely you want the AI to spawn no matter what (in that case raycast=off).