TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: Completed Deadly Shadows for the first time

  1. #26
    ZylonBane
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    at the end is even motivated by his desire to avenge the death of Victoria.
    This part always felt clunky and unearned. Through the entire game they were just reluctantly working together against a common enemy, then suddenly in the last mission he's off on a roaring revenge rampage for the person who sold him out to the Trickster and ripped his eye out. He was never that into her even when he thought she was human.

  2. #27
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2010
    Location: Alberta, Canada
    When I first played TDS it was the retail release.

    No rope or vine arrows? deal breaker.
    Where are my beloved stackables? deal breaker.
    How did Garrett 'forget' how to swim. deal breaker.
    The enforcers killing civillians? deal breaker.
    Loading zones? WTF.

    Even with the sneaky upgrade eliminating the loading zones and the idiotic loot glint I still could not enjoy playing it. I played it through the once pre-sneaky, and only once post-sneaky and I will never play it again.


    DTS is broken. Meh.

  3. #28
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2011
    Location: Shutter Island
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhern View Post
    When I first played TDS it was the retail release.

    No rope or vine arrows? deal breaker.
    Where are my beloved stackables? deal breaker.
    How did Garrett 'forget' how to swim. deal breaker.
    The enforcers killing civillians? deal breaker.
    Loading zones? WTF.

    Even with the sneaky upgrade eliminating the loading zones and the idiotic loot glint I still could not enjoy playing it. I played it through the once pre-sneaky, and only once post-sneaky and I will never play it again.


    DTS is broken. Meh.
    I'm forever blowing bubbles

  4. #29
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: the Sheeple Pen
    Yeah, the lack of rope arrows was bad. And the loot glint and the loading zones. Not being able to swim was actually great though - I always hated swimming in T1 and T2, because the underwater sections often looked ugly as hell and the enemy AI just couldn't deal with the situation. (I suppose breaking into Bafford's Manor through the well was sort of cool though.) Obviously a better solution would have been to make swimming less annoying and more fun, but just the idea of Garrett swimming around feels rather stupid to me.

    I haven't played TDS for at least ten years, but I vaguely remember it being a pretty decent game. I guess I should give it another try with some of the mods and stuff.

  5. #30
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2020
    Location: Germany
    In Thief 3 I didnīt like the gameplay as much as in Thief 1 & 2, but the story was amazing imo. For me it was a well-deserved successor of the other 2 games. The story, the characters (from side characters in missions to keepers to gamall as the end boss, the fences & of course Garrett) were done perfectly. The best was the ending cutscene, that brought the story to an end and connected to Thief 1. Seeing it end brought tears to my eyes back then, but it ended the way it should.

    And then came Thief 4 and ruined everything. In my Thief universe there is no Thief 4

    And the only thing I disliked very much was Artemusī death.
    Last edited by Samantha1; 30th Oct 2021 at 11:21.

  6. #31
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: the Sheeple Pen
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1 View Post
    And then came Thief 4 and ruined everything. In my Thief universe there is no Thief 4
    Well, it's called just Thief anyway and it's a reboot (such a stupid idea, but oh well), so it's not supposed to be a sequel or even a part of the same "Thief universe". You can pretend that it's all happening in some twisted parallel universe, or that Garrett's new adventures never even happened.

    For what it's worth, I think it's a fairly good stealth action game, but you have to learn to stop playing it like T1/2 and comparing everything to the older games. Might be a good idea to ignore the story as well.

  7. #32
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2020
    Location: Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    Well, it's called just Thief anyway and it's a reboot (such a stupid idea, but oh well), so it's not supposed to be a sequel or even a part of the same "Thief universe". You can pretend that it's all happening in some twisted parallel universe, or that Garrett's new adventures never even happened.
    Thatīs not entirely true. They did connect to the ending scene from thief 3 when garrett met the little girl and said "its no easy thing to see a keeper". It was clear that he is going to train her like artemus did back then with garrett and thats what they continued in thief (4). Even if itīs supposed to be a reboot, they did make that connection to thief 1-3. Possibly to catch the attention of more thief fans or maybe because they couldnīt think of any better story, not that itīs a good story in the first place anyway.
    The only good thing about thief (4) for me is garrettīs looks. He looks pretty awesome with that face mask, itīs also my wallpaper since years

  8. #33
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2004
    Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1 View Post
    Thatīs not entirely true. They did connect to the ending scene from thief 3 when garrett met the little girl and said "its no easy thing to see a keeper". It was clear that he is going to train her like artemus did back then with garrett and thats what they continued in thief (4). Even if itīs supposed to be a reboot, they did make that connection to thief 1-3. Possibly to catch the attention of more thief fans or maybe because they couldnīt think of any better story, not that itīs a good story in the first place anyway.
    The only good thing about thief (4) for me is garrettīs looks. He looks pretty awesome with that face mask, itīs also my wallpaper since years
    I remember reading an interview with one of the Thief 4 devs saying that it wasn't the same Garrett. It was a new Garrett... possibly a descendant, and that their idea was that the city had been rebuilt many times over throughout the years.

    I believe there was a reference in-game about a past thief with a mechanical eye.

    Not sure if you were suggesting it's a direct sequel but in any case, it isn't. The devs themselves said so.

  9. #34
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Location: Southern,California
    i made a post a while back with link to all the art for thief 4 and other things about it

    but i agree with the person who said make thief 3 in new dark now that was be amazing,with rope arrows swimming,yes maps would need to add stuff underwater/wood on buildings to rope into/etc

    and omg not one person said how pathetically small pavelock prison was,could have been so much more,and how to even access it was lame,get caught by guards=impossible for a master runner like me,so i had to just lob myself into the water during certain parts of the game by small boat=lame

    and more with kershak and a post mission after the end game scene ,to truly retire garrett in a good way=a ending that feels good,none of that cliffhanger ending/or garrett being killed,we all know garrett ends up retired in a small city and he is happy

  10. #35
    Member
    Registered: May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    pathetically small pavelock prison
    I missed that area entirely during my second attempt at a playthrough. I had a habit of reloading quickly when I got caught.

  11. #36
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2013
    I think Thief 2014 is set in the same universe as the original trilogy, but a long time - possibly centuries - into the future. There is plenty of in-game evidence to point to the new City being 'built upon the bones' of the classic City. So the classic City is to the current City as the Lost City was to Classic City.

    This continues the theme of new Cities being built over old. There is also a line in T3 along the lines of 'The City's been built over itself so many times not even the Hammers know how old it is'.

    But that nit-picking aside, it is definately true that the characters of Thief 2014 are not the same as the original trilogy's. They are more like this cycle's iteration of them.

  12. #37
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2013
    As for T3 I thought it was an excellent game, if judged on its own.

    Although difficult to forgive the PC' version being so hobbled to fit it on the XBox.

    The XBox is long defunct, whereas us PC owners are still playing it. Guess creating a normal version for the PC and then hobbling it for the XBox port would be too much like hard work. So anyone who playse the game now and for evermore has to make do.with limitations that are nothing to do with what was technologically possible at the time, but were imposed to save the effort of porting the game for less powerful systems.

    That irritation aside, as I say above, if I forget T1 & T2 exist, it was a great game IMO.

    Although I also think it would have been best to leave the Keepers in the background and with their shadowy mystery left intact.

    But let's not forget The Cradle as another highlight.

  13. #38
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2010
    Location: Alberta, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    ...
    But let's not forget The Cradle as another highlight.
    The Cradle was TDS's ONLY highlight. if the cradle hadn't existed I would not have bothered my second playthrough with the sneaky patches.

  14. #39
    Member
    Registered: May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhern View Post
    The Cradle was TDS's ONLY highlight. if the cradle hadn't existed I would not have bothered my second playthrough with the sneaky patches.
    Now we are getting into something I really wanted to talk about. I think Shalebridge Cradle is a fine level, but after reading for years about how superb it supposedly is, it was a letdown to me. The eerie atmosphere at the beginning when you explore the empty halls is excellent. However, as soon as I understood how the Puppets move, the threat became manageable and the atmosphere evaporated. Entering the past was even disappointing: The interiors do not look very different compared to the present and the ghosts of staff that roam the halls are not scary.

    Additionally, I felt Shalebridge Cradle was far from the only highlight in Deadly Shadows. I named a few highlights in my original post, but there is not a single mission I did not enjoy at least to some extent. Pagan Sanctuary, Overlook Mansion and Wieldstrom Museum were missions I personally enjoyed more than Shalebridge Cradle. The buildup to the hall of statues in the Keeper Compound also had a bigger effect on me than any of the scares in the Shalebridge Cradle.

  15. #40
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2020
    Location: Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    I believe there was a reference in-game about a past thief with a mechanical eye. Not sure if you were suggesting it's a direct sequel but in any case, it isn't. The devs themselves said so.
    And the garrett in thief 2014 has a mechanical green shining right eye aswell just like the past garrett, oh what a coinsidence! I mean, I get what you mean, the developers themselves said that itīs not a sequel or continuation of deadly shadows, but itīs clear as day that they were trying to bait the fans by including elements from the older thief games, just as the character garrett and the girl heīs training.

  16. #41
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Location: Southern,California
    thief 2014 was a reboot of thief=an alt universe,end of story=14 years after the original thief,they were not able to make it better

    and not many mention this but art in thief 3 was amazing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •