TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Any New Preview Youtube Videos?

Any New Preview Youtube Videos?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any Youtube channels that are still putting out preview videos for Thief fan missions? I love good ambiance, and those videos are how I find most of the new FMs that I play. cvl00101 hasn't posted since the beginning of the year, and they were where I got the majority of my FM recommendations from. Does anyone know what happened to them?

Cheers.

Here is a channel with up-to-date FM previews.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChb...58o3CDZ4kxqpBw

Wow, thank you. I was missing this.

ZylonBane
    FFS, those are just slide shows. No sound, no motion.

I know. I wish it had video. Hopefully one comes back one day.

I'm guessing cvl00101 won't be coming back. When they posted here about their endeavors (a whopping 646 preview videos!!), they basically just got flamed for the unforgivable sin of using a texture mod. That kind of reception is not something that most motivations can endure. See here.

I feel bad for them. Yes, on the one hand, there really should have been an indication that the previews were not necessarily perfectly reflective of authors' design choices. But on the other hand, it seems sad and wildly unreasonable that the predominant reaction was vitriol, when it was really a massive (and helpful!) undertaking. Seemed like an example of the community engaging in self-sabotage, to me.

I agree with trefoilknot. It was a massive undertaking and using a texture mod is just a personal choice. In my view, the purpose of such preview videos is simply to show the category (city, Hammerite, Pagan, etc.) and scenery of a given fan mission so that players can quickly see if it appeals to their taste. People should stop complaining and appreciate someone's hard work.

ZylonBane
    I hadn't seen that thread before, but... yeeahh. If you're undertaking all that work for the express purpose of creating a resource for other people to use, but you do it with a texture mod applied that's infamous for not giving a flying flip about the original aesthetic, well, that wasn't very smart.

Just noticed he used "embed" links for every single YouTube link he posted in that thread as well. Oof. Not the sharpest pack of bulbs in the Happy Meal, that kid.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Just noticed he used "embed" links for every single YouTube link he posted in that thread as well. Oof. Not the sharpest pack of bulbs in the Happy Meal, that kid.
    take your snobbery elsewhere, ZylonBane

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    ...If you're undertaking all that work for the express purpose of creating a resource for other people to use…
    I’d be curious to know what proportion of people playing thief in 2021 play with versus without texture mods. Obviously most of the people on this forum (many of whom joined 15-20 years ago) grew up with thief, and the mods just feel wrong. But many people have discovered thief more recently, and perhaps the texture mods make it a bit more approachable, if they’re used to more modern games. I wonder what the actual breakdown is, among all players (not just the players who post on TTLG or the discord). I wouldn’t be surprised if cvl00101’s previews actually were representative of how many players would experience the missions.

(Again, the previews should still have noted the use of mods.)

Also, I second vfig’s suggestion.
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 20th Dec 2021 at 08:50.

I still think that's missing the point. So if 90% of people are using the HD Mod, it's OK to misrepresent an author's works? Even mentioning the mod isn't enough IMO, it just shouldn't be used at all for this particular purpose.

Also - I can't buy into the argument that "this person put a lot of work into X" so they are exempt from criticism. That's seems ridiculous. And if you read the comments in the other thread, there's really no "vitriol" at all. The points were all brought up in a civil and polite manner.

Maybe “vitriol” is too strong of a word? Personally, I’m not sure it matters how polite people are being when the gist of their comments is: “what you’ve done is offensive, bad and wrong, and I wish you’d never done it at all.” Also, some comments were less than polite about it.

And I’m not saying anyone should be immune from criticism. I’m just recognizing that criticism can affect subsequent production choices—this is kind of the point, no? If criticism is constructive, it can spur quality improvements. In this case, criticism was not particularly constructive nor well-delivered, and the entirely predictable outcome is that cvl00101 stopped posting videos shortly thereafter. So now that resource won’t exist for future missions, going forward. Obviously some folks see that as a win. I sure don’t. Hence why I call it an example of community self-sabotage.

I’m not saying any of the individual posters did anything egregious. Just that collectively, they seem to have cost the community a useful resource (in my view, probably not in their’s), and that this was an entirely predictable result of their actions.

Still don’t see why the matter would have required anything beyond a disclaimer to address.

Ok, so let me ask this, completely out of curiosity. If someone posted a video of The Sunken Temple of Dielya, and took out all of your custom textures and replaced them with textures from Quake or Wolfenstein or something similar, that wouldn't bother you at all?

You say the criticism in the other thread wasn't constructive, but it might have been. Greenhawk may have been completely unaware that what he was doing is frowned upon by some people in the community, and now is considering redoing some of the videos. Granted, that's a daunting task, but it also would stop him from continuing the practice on any ensuing videos he does in the future. That's not the worst thing in the world.

It would definitely bother me, but no more than it bothers me when I see people breaking the puzzles. And as long as it was clearly indicated that they had adjusted the textures, I’d be fine with it (not that I’d like it).

My view is simply that once you release something, it’s really not up to you how it gets enjoyed. If someone is falsely misrepresenting your work and it’s reflecting badly on you professionally, that’s a major issue. Otherwise, it seems like you can just ignore it and maybe roll your eyes about “these idiots enjoying it all wrong.” You can try to make it harder for players to alter your work, but people can still find ways if they’re dead set on it.

This issue hardly seems unique to thief. There are literally millions of hours of gameplay footage on YouTube coming from gamers who use mods without indicating as much. It’s not like Bethesda or rockstar are going after content creators for using mods in GTA or TES without clarifying it.

I don’t think either of us will have their viewpoint swayed, so perhaps it’s best to just leave it amicably at that.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    take your snobbery elsewhere, ZylonBane
    You're right, I shouldn't assume that everyone can afford the non-embed YouTube links.