TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Alpha release: Blender .MIS importer

Alpha release: Blender .MIS importer

The v0.0.1 alpha release of my Blender .MIS importer is now available:

https://github.com/vfig/thiefblendercrap

You will need Blender 2.90 or later. Please read the README for instructions on use and installation.

The two core features of importing a .MIS with textures and lightmaps, and baking the imported geometry to a single mesh with full texture+lightmap resolution are functional. But this is still very much a work in progress, so please expect bugs, missing features and capabilities, cryptic error messages, and weird half-broken debug settings.

For the present, please post any feedback or bug reports in this thread. Thank you.

## Installing:

1. Download the code as a zip from github.

2. In Blender, go to `Edit > Preferences > Addons`. Click `Install...` and select the zip file. Make sure the checkbox beside the addon is ticked.
    Nope. After installation, I get this in the console when I try to enable the addon:

addon not found: 'thieftools'
    Restarting Blender (2.93) doesn't help, and neither does renaming the directory of the addon.

facepalm. i had somehow forgotten to commit one of the .py files, and apparently not noticed that for days on end. fixed that now.

please re-download and try again. (also this time i have actually gone through the install steps myself, as i always should have done )

It works now.
    The meter goes above 100% during the loading and then drops back to 100%. It's like a Russian election!
    The resulting mesh is quite tidy.
    I hadn't unpacked the textures, so I got the "MISSING" material in all of the slots. May I suggest creating a material called "MISSING: " + texture_name for each missing texture instead of sharing a single "MISSING" material?

the 200% is because the addon is a perfectionist, 100% simply isnt good enough! (in actuality, theres something about how the progress indicator api works that i havent got the hang of yet.)

whether you get a tidy mesh or not out the other end is entirely due to what dromeds portalize/optimize produces. usually theres duplicate vertices, and unnecessary polygon splits.

(for situations where you need a cleaner mesh, you would have to do a geometry cleanup on a duplicate of the mesh and unwrap its uvs and then use blenders render/bake to transfer the texture info. this will produce a cleaner/better performing model, but would no longer be a 100% match for the original texturing and lightmapping. for many uses, of course, you dont need that 100% match.)

one material per texture even if the image is missing is a good idea. would then allow me to unify both the "this texture cant be found" and "i cant load this type of texture" (e.g. dds) cases, and the user could then manually fix up the affected materials.

Incidentally,
    ## TODO: '.dds' should come first (per newdark priorities), but i cant
    ## load them yet.
    Why not? Blender loads them just fine.

Just checked:
    bpy.data.images.load("/path/to/image.dds")
    DDS loaded, no surprises.

oh thats handy! it doesnt appear to be documented anywhere that it supports it—it certainly wasnt listed in the list of file formats in the Image class—so i didnt even think to try it. hooray, one important capability i was dreading implementing just got easier!

Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    it certainly wasnt listed in the list of file formats in the Image class
    That list contains the formats it can save.

yes, thats right. but i cant find any list of which formats it can read, and no mention at all of dds files, so that was the best information i had to go on.