TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What are you playing? (2022 Edition)

Still Dragon Quest XI for me. It was my reward to myself for a successful move, and here I am a month and half later still playing it. I very much appreciate its midgame twist, though: It's basically Final Fantasy VI all over again. The bad guy wins.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Spent this weekend being a lil' tiny guy.

Played through The Adventures Of Poppe. A metroidvania in classic NES-style, for good and bad.

The artstyle is very nice and movement feels good, and the world design is great. The whole premise of being a little guy reminded me of the Ghibli film "Arrietty". On the downside there are some grating design decisions and not much of a story. The first bit of actual dialogue (and anything resembling a plot) shows up 5 HOURS into the game, and the whole game was over an hour later. As a metroidvania, the flow of the world isn't as intuitive as some more modern examples of the genre, and a good amount of guesswork and backtracking is required.

Despite all that tho, this game pretty much had me hooked from start to finish.

This game has 3 Steam user reviews. The developer has 18 followers on twitter. This is likely the only time you'll hear anyone mentioning this game, so hey, put it on your wishlist eh? It's a good game, and it'd be a shame if the world completely passed it by.

that actually does look pretty cool, wishlisted!

I can already say that I will suck at Sekiro. It leans into the aspects of Dark Souls and similar games that I'm worst at, while reducing or even removing the aspects that helped me get through them after all. However, I realised that one of the things that didn't help was that my Xbox One controller was not exactly a spring chicken anymore, so that e.g. LB wouldn't work as reliably as it should - which is a problem if that what you need to block and deflect. So, after I spent over an hour trying and failing to defeat the first (?) mini-boss, General Naomori Kawarada, I switched to a new controller - and while I still struggled, I did kill him in ten minutes. Here's hoping 1) that the new controller'll help in general and 2) that the game will succeed at teaching me how to play it, because if it's already this stressful to play, I don't want to know what it'll be like once I get to the actual bosses.

Sekiro is probably the most difficult of all the Souls games, but I found it the most rewarding. Unfortunately you have to unlearn a lot of what the Souls games teach you: parrying, which was stupidly hard in DS, is now the best and many cases only way to win (so yeah, making sure LB works properly is important . Focus on filling the enemies' stamina bar, not draining their health. Learn the parry timings for each enemy. And be aggressive. The usual tactic for the non-monster bosses is to attack until they deflect, then focus on deflecting their attacks until you have an opening to attack again. Also, Chained Ogre is coming up, is probably the worst boss in the game, but he's not representative of what's to come, just a bad early design decision.

I could spend hours talking about Sekiro, but I guess there's a separate forum for that.

I have to say that I didn't find Chained Ogre all that bad. Whether he's representative or not of other bosses, I can't say, but he was reasonably slow and the hint to use fire was very clear. I did die to him two or three times, but after that my timing was sufficiently okay.

What I'm still finding difficult is to deflect consistently; I press LB too early much of the time. However, whenever there's a sole enemy that I reasonably toy with, I use them to practice my timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I have to say that I didn't find Chained Ogre all that bad. Whether he's representative or not of other bosses, I can't say, but he was reasonably slow and the hint to use fire was very clear. I did die to him two or three times, but after that my timing was sufficiently okay.

What I'm still finding difficult is to deflect consistently; I press LB too early much of the time. However, whenever there's a sole enemy that I reasonably toy with, I use them to practice my timing.
    I think Chained Ogre and a certain fiery one that'll show up soon are the only ones that can fought like Dark Souls bosses.

Thankfully the deathblow mechanic makes successful combat more and more rapid the more skilled you become at parrying, so that skill remains a pleasure to practice.

I can already say that I will suck at Sekiro. It leans into the aspects of Dark Souls and similar games that I'm worst at, while reducing or even removing the aspects that helped me get through them after all. However, I realised that one of the things that didn't help was that my Xbox One controller was not exactly a spring chicken anymore, so that e.g. LB wouldn't work as reliably as it should - which is a problem if that what you need to block and deflect. So, after I spent over an hour trying and failing to defeat the first (?) mini-boss, General Naomori Kawarada, I switched to a new controller - and while I still struggled, I did kill him in ten minutes. Here's hoping 1) that the new controller'll help in general and 2) that the game will succeed at teaching me how to play it, because if it's already this stressful to play, I don't want to know what it'll be like once I get to the actual bosses.
    I had a similar experience to you at first but eventually it clicked. It felt like I was gonna have to do all the stuff that I basically avoid in Dark Souls & co (i.e. parrying) but once I clicked that the parrying is more like a little mini-rhythm game I really started liking it. I can't parry to save myself in Souls games but it's WAY more forgiving in Sekiro (since the parry/block in pretty much instantaneous you can block when the attack will hit you rather than that odd timing in Souls where you have to take into account the wind up animation of the parry and hit parry sometime BEFORE the attack would land) and works more like a block - once you learn the moves you parry the full attack and then get tour attacks in. Aja's advice about focus more on filling their stamina bar than lowering their health is good but for bosses you still need to focus on the health initially as the amount of health a boss has often affects how fast their stamina recovers.

Hopefully you persevere as Sekiro has the best bosses gaming has to offer in opinion - tough, full or spectacle but super clear to read. The final boss is by far the best 'final exam' boss I've every fought.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I'll persevere. There's more than enough that I'm enjoying about this game, so it'd really have to get to the point where I keep failing and I don't feel I'm improving in any way and moving towards beating a boss. I know I somehow managed to beat the final boss of the Bloodborne DLC without any external help, so I should be fine. It'll just take a while.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I got a new computer! With an Nvidia RTX 3080! I have been going through the RTX initiation ritual of playing Quake II RTX. It does look quite stunning in some spots.

As for the gameplay, it's in that odd post-Quake/pre-Half Life space where the genre was just starting to evolve past the most basic FPS gameplay into actually having things like objects, and story, and enemies that do more than just run straight at you*, and some kinda set-piece-y bits.

Also got back to playing Teardown, starting over from the beginning. Game looks and runs great and the gameplay is as fun as ever.

Any other recommendations for RTX-enhanced MUST-PLAYS? Guess I should try Minecraft. Oh, and hook up the Valve Index for some HL:Alyx and MS Flight Sim.

* they also duck in place! uselessly!

I loved the ray tracing in Control, even though the game itself didn't do all that much for me. Since I remember you liking Control, that's definitely one I'd recommend.

Other than that? Metro Exodus doesn't have ray tracing, but it has global illumination, which on screenshots doesn't look like much, but in motion it's very nice. Watch Dogs: Legion also does ray tracing, I believe, and Cyberpunk 2077. Same with Hitman 3, though apparently it could do with a hell of a lot of optimisation. And it's just not there yet as long as the world isn't reflected in Agent 47's bald head.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Mmmm, Control, yes, might give that a go!

Also looking up cool rtx games on itch.io

whoa

Actually, this makes me think I should see about implementing RTX in some of my games. Hmm! Wonder just how much effort it would be.

Chakat sex pillow
    Other than that? Metro Exodus doesn't have ray tracing, but it has global illumination, which on screenshots doesn't look like much, but in motion it's very nice.
    Exodus actually does a full fat RT pipeline, to the extent that it's possibly the gold standard for performant ray tracing in video games right now. Not only does it attempt infinite light bounces, it also does RT reflections along with the GI and shadows. Whether you end up appreciating the end result is a matter of personal preference, but it's technically ahead of most other RT implementations in gaming at this point in time.

Of course, I don't have an RTX card (I'll wait until the market returns to sanity, and when the tech reaches a performance threshold where turning RT on doesn't essentially cripple frame rates), so I'm only reporting what I've seen in videos and the Digital Foundry takes, but I have little reason to doubt either.

Reflective stilts! (Which, incidentally, is also the title of a little-known Mike Oldfield album.)

I've been playing this game called Sword Legacy: Omen.

Despite the fairly terrible name, it's actually pretty good! It's kind of like a medieval X-Com with quite a typical fantasy setting, but it's a welcome change in this case. The gameplay is fairly simple, but the playable characters (all ten of them) are surprisingly well balanced and they all offer something a bit different. The combat is fun and doesn't depend on luck as much as X-Com for example, which I also like. What I do NOT like is the somewhat clumsy and annoying UI, and a lot of little bugs here and there. And a couple of bigger, game crashing, bugs too - they're not fun when you can't save during story missions. Still, I would recommend this to anyone who likes turn-based combat games and are tired of blowing up aliens.

Meanwhile, my Thi4f adventures are still continuing. (I hadn't played the game for nearly 8 years until I started a new game a couple of weeks ago.) I had forgotten that it's such a long game! This time around I wanted to see what the Focus is like, because previously I've had it disabled, and I must say that I'm a bit underwhelmed. I don't mind the "superpowers", but I don't find them very useful at all. Still two more missions to go, I think, and then I'll probably write a little bit something on the Thi4f sub-forum.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Nearing the end of Quake 2, and since Quake 4 just got added to game pass I think I'll go ahead and just do the whole Stroggology while I'm at it. Never played Quake 4, anyone know if there are some graphical update mods I could/should use? I see there's a recent HD textures mod, might try that.

Almost done with the second GC Metroid Prime game emulated very poorly on Steam Deck. The first one worked perfectly but I didn't manage to get a stable configuration for the second one, pushing through anyway because I love these games so much. I remembered some of the bosses being hard but never this unfair, mostly the boost and spider guardians.

I'm still plugging away at Prey 2017. Like Dishonored 2, I admire it more than I like it. The story and narration are keeping me engaged, but I'm not having fun with any of the combat.

Also, Entropy: Zero 2 just came out. The first one was a really fun HL2 fan campaign, I am hopeful they kept the tone and interesting setpieces.

Unrelated question: Am I the only one who always looks for their Steam wishlist first under their profile menu before realizing it is under the store? It makes me mad.

I still hope that at some point they'll manage to emulate Wii games well in VR, because the Metroid Prime games would work perfectly in that format. Even the GC version of the first game works surprisingly well in VR, but if you added motion controls this could be the best version of Metroid Prime.

With respect to the Steam wishlist: it's somewhere else yet again if you look for it in the mobile/tablet app, which I find really aggravating. Considering how much money Steam makes, you'd think they could put more money into good, consistent user interfaces...

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    Unrelated question: Am I the only one who always looks for their Steam wishlist first under their profile menu before realizing it is under the store?
    It has literally never ever crossed my mind to look for the wishlist to the store outside of the store.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished Quake 2. Yeah y'know. Fun levels, decent weapons, and almost non-existant story. Continued with Quake 4 which is kinda an inverstion of that. There's a lot of story, a lot of annoying mid-00's FPS tropes like waiting around for your AI buddies to push buttons. Small, linear levels with loading screens inbetween. The shooting is good tho! Looks good, sounds good, and sending enemies ragdolling backwards with a blast from my shotgun puts a smile on my face. I recorded some video of a pretty good section:

That looks pretty good, henke! Quake 4 is in my Steam library and still on my to-play list, so maybe I'll give it a shot with this hi-def mod.

I haven't been gaming much but I finished Monument Valley 2 on the iPad via Apple Arcade. The puzzles are fairly easy but the creativity in the environments put a smile on my face, it was a joy to play and didn't overstay its welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    I'm still plugging away at Prey 2017. Like Dishonored 2, I admire it more than I like it. The story and narration are keeping me engaged, but I'm not having fun with any of the combat.
    Put all your points into wrench, whatever makes you fast and healing, then you will have fun. I just became a melee monster, even taking out the big smoky boss guy with wrench. That way you can just enjoy the story without all the combat micromanagment.

God, I suck at Sekiro. I'm currently trying to beat Lady Butterfly, but I am pretty bad at deflecting when fighting bosses. I'm hoping to use this particular adversary to practice my blocking, but it's not exactly doing wonders for me in terms of experience points and Dragonrot.

Obviously it's possible that I'm just bad and my reflexes are worse, and that's probably part of it. But I've seen guides and tutorials talking about rhythm when it comes to deflecting, and that's generally something I'm not bad at, having played various instruments (including percussion, which are pretty much 99% rhythm) for decades. I'm wondering whether that's actually part of the problem: I'm used to visuals and sound being synchronised when it comes to being rhythmical, but my impression is that many of the Sekiro enemies' visual tells require the player to press the button a bit later, which is a bit like watching a conductor but playing the note a quarter-second later than is indicated. It's something I find tremendously difficult.

But yeah, that's probably just rationalising why I am simply not very good at the game.

P.S.: I wish there was such a thing as a practice mode... I could probably use a trainer, but I don't want to risk screwing up my save game or beating that particular enemy while playing with the trainer activated.

It will eventually click, it just takes some time. It's not just rhythm in general, but also getting used to how the boss moves.

I'm actually wondering... The FPS Unlocker that I'm using (that also lets me play in 3440x1440) has a bunch of options that are basically cheats. They might let me spar with that particular enemy (so to speak), which would be good practice for deflecting.

And some of it is definitely just that my reflexes are not very good. Even with Hanbei, I find myself almost unable to react to the attack where you should Super Mario his ass, unless that's the only attack he does.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast