TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing? (2022 Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    I had a lot of fun with Microsoft Train Simulator back in the day.
    It's pretty good for a train sim. Some of the people that worked on the Train Artisan add-on project are still making locomotive and rolling stock for the sim. I still mess around with it but play it in Open Rails which adds more realistic controls, physics and frame rates.

I'm probably only a couple of hours away from the end* of Arkham Knight. I didn't exactly remember what would happen, having played this ages ago on PS4, and I didn't remember the moment when
    spoiler:
    the Cloudburst activates. It's an impressive setpiece, changing the game's open world, even if it's a relatively small one, completely in terms of its look and feel. Flying above the pulsating, angry orange clouds covering the Arkham City ground is a great, striking moment.

*Obviously the end I'm talking about isn't really the end, as the game lets you mop up its various plot lines in IMO one of the most effective uses of such a structure. Nonetheless, while I'll happily go back to most of the side activities, I don't think I'll 100% this one, because I'm also ready to move on to something else.

This week I've mostly been playing the Tomb Raider reboot from 2013. It's... alright.

I've never actually played a Tomb Raider game before, so I don't know how faithful this is to its predecessors. Probably not very faithful. I can see now how the Thief reboot "borrowed" a lot of things from this game, but still somehow managed to make the movement feel more clumsy. I remember the Tomb Raider reboot getting a pretty good reception and positive reviews though. However, I was expecting a Tomb Raider game to have much more exploration and adventure, but this one's quite a straightforward 3rd person shooter on rails, so the game was a disappointment in that regard. So I had to adjust my expectations and played it like it was an over-the-top action b-movie. The story and the characters are quite bland, and I didn't find the shooting bits very satisfying (what is it with shotguns being totally useless in most modern games?), but fortunately the game is just about short enough so that it doesn't get boring.

I guess I'll try the sequel too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    I guess I'll try the sequel too.
    Both Rise and Shadow feature a higher ratio of exploration and tomb raiding versus fighing compared to the first game in the reboot trilogy.

The original games were quite linear and focused a lot on platforming and puzzle solving with a solid amount of combat thrown in. The exploration was mostly for secrets containing health kits, ammo and (a few) weapons.

I really tried to play TR 2013 but it's the ONLY game I've ever played that made me sea-sick/motion-sick. I hate that you cannot turn off the stupid "cinematic" swaying. It's CRAZY! You just walk straight forward, SUPER CAMERA SWAY ALWAYS ALWAYS. (I have it on Xbox, so I can't hack it). I haven't tried the sequels, but I heard the camera sway is toned down in part 2, and there is an option to turn it off for part 3. And if they have a higher ratio of exploration, all the better.
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

I haven't played any Tomb Raider since I think Anniversary, which was in like 2007, although I have the later versions.

But I used to be into the TR modding scene, which started with TR4 in 1999, right about the same time Thief FMs were up and running, and I think both of them were really on a high around the same period of 2003-04.

As I guess we all know, something happened when games like that stopped supporting fan missions. They lost their connection to that homebrew spirit and a community, so I was kind of miffed with TR I guess. But also the gameplay itself became more cinematic and gimmicky maybe.

Tomb Raider wasn't as stable with fan maps; there wasn't one unified system, and it was still really just a jumping puzzle game with only so many kinds of jumping puzzles you could really do. But some of the maps were pretty cool and ambitious, and I liked that scene in its time.

I'll get around to the more recent games at some point. I'm not boycotting them; I just never seem to get around to them.

One of these days I should finally play Shadow of..., but considering my backlog it may still be years...

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I haven't played any Tomb Raider since I think Anniversary, which was in like 2007, although I have the later versions.

But I used to be into the TR modding scene, which started with TR4 in 1999, right about the same time Thief FMs were up and running, and I think both of them were really on a high around the same period of 2003-04.

As I guess we all know, something happened when games like that stopped supporting fan missions. They lost their connection to that homebrew spirit and a community, so I was kind of miffed with TR I guess. But also the gameplay itself became more cinematic and gimmicky maybe.

Tomb Raider wasn't as stable with fan maps; there wasn't one unified system, and it was still really just a jumping puzzle game with only so many kinds of jumping puzzles you could really do. But some of the maps were pretty cool and ambitious, and I liked that scene in its time.

I'll get around to the more recent games at some point. I'm not boycotting them; I just never seem to get around to them.
    The last "real" Tomb Raider for me is Underworld. The reboot trilogy which came after it is the biggest pile of crap ever.

Can't say I was surprised though, considering what AAA games are like these days...

I really liked the Crystal Dynamics trilogy. Legend and Underworld were flawed but fun, and Anniversary is my perfect Tomb Raider game. They all have a really great balance of campy, linear storytelling and traditional Tomb Raider gameplay (i.e. platform-based exploration puzzles). I only played the first game in the rebooted series and didn't hate it but without puzzles it's just a bland experience. Combat is fun but if I want to play a cover-based or an open-world TPS, there are much better games in my library.

Anniversary was awesome but I couldn't really get into the other 2.

I finished Arkham Knight yesterday. Well, I say "finished"... I completed all of the stories except the Riddler ones. It's sad: the Riddler challenges are actually quite varied and enjoyable, but there are just so fucking many of them. If I'd done them in between doing other stuff, it'd be different, but I'm not sure I want to take the time to just finish off all the green icons on the map. I'll leave the game installed for now - who knows, doing a half-dozen of challenges a day before going to bed might be quite good fun.

... and to follow up on that: I finally got started on Return of the Obra Dinn. I have to say that while I get it in broad strokes, I'm still a bit confused by how it actually plays, unless it's blatantly obvious who's who and who died how. What's the weird white glow that sometimes guides me from one character to the next? What's the function of this guidance? I'm finding it a bit awkward to switch between the present day and the memories. After some confused clicking around, it usually works, but I can't say that I feel fully in charge of the game. Still, it's a fascinating aesthetic and I like the puzzling, even if I suspect I won't be more than decidedly mediocre at it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I envy you getting to experience Return of the Obra Dinn for the first time. Stick with it, it really is as great as people say.

I don't really feel like starting any new games at the moment, so I've just been playing Snowrunner on PS5 and Zeepkist on PC. That's my comfort zone.

Administrator
    Agreed, Obra Dinn is a great game. Definitely savour it and resist spoilers if you can. It is possible to deduce everything either directly or through elimination but some clues are very subtle so although replay value is limited I did notice things that I completely missed the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    What's the weird white glow that sometimes guides me from one character to the next? What's the function of this guidance?
    It's there to bring you to another corpse in the memory that you're in - one that isn't there in the "present day". Usually it forms a bit of a sequence going back in time from the corpse you're investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I'm finding it a bit awkward to switch between the present day and the memories. After some confused clicking around, it usually works, but I can't say that I feel fully in charge of the game.
    It shouldn't be too difficult as long as you keep activating the pocket-watch on a corpse. If you let go then it cancels going into the memory.

Cheers, that helps.

El Pato
    Currently...

• Halo Infinite (PC) - I'm having a lot of fun with the combat (as with all other Halo games I've played), though I do think the open world is underused outside of a BIG playing field. Playing on Legendary to have a bit of a decent challenge and it's fine most of the time, but the bosses are a bit of a sharp difficulty spike, making them somewhat unbalanced. Still, a really fun game, even if I don't care one lick about the story (not that I ever did on any previous Halo, heh...).
    • Afterparty (PC) - Adventure game from the creators of Oxenfree (which I played and enjoyed), minimal gameplay with some funny characters that seem to be from the 2010s (I mean...). Simple, but it has my attention.
    • Infernax (PC) - I am a SUCKER for Metroidvanias and pixel retro-looking games. This one is clearly inspired by the Castlevania games (specifically, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest). Fun times!
    • TMNT: Shredder's Revenge (PC) - Bought it last night. I hosted a public game and five other players joined: Raphael, Michaelangelo, April (who was kicking ass like it was nobody's business) and Splinter, while I was Leonardo. Lots of fun was to be had, even if half the time I didn't know what was going on, huzzah!
    • Returnal (PS5) - Playing this from time to time. Did some co-op with a nephew and reached the third world. Game is AWESOME and CHALLENGING.
    • Sea of Thieves (PC) - Yohohohohoho! Playing this at times solo, at times with people. You guys should join me. It's really, really, really fun.
    • Deep Rock Galactic (PC) - Mostly doing multi with this one. Always tempting to play one more mission...FOR ROCK AND STONE!

I'm definitely getting into the rhythm of how to play Obra Dinn more, but while I've watched what feels like a lot of memories, I'm finding it difficult to find out more than just cause of death. I'm hoping it's relatively normal that I'm not yet getting all that many of the names.

And I'm slowly ready for RE4VR to be over. It's reasonably fun, and there are a bunch of things about it that I think are fine, but I'll never get why the game is so beloved. Perhaps it's one of those things where you had to be there at the time to really get its significance.

Finding out the names in Obra Dinn can definitely be tricky, and there are some regularly recurring characters that I didn't figure out until very late on. It's mostly a case of carefully cross-referencing facts, sometimes seeing what you can see from unique angles, and occasionally just process of elimination.

With Obra Dinn, it helps to pay attention to visual and audio details you might think of as trivial. Details used for decoration, background or flavor in other games are often meaningful investigative clues in Obra Dinn.

I think Starker pointed out a playthrough where the player did a really good job identifying meaningful connections between seemingly trivial details. So I started watching that playthrough after I finished. And almost right at the beginning of this playthrough, by identifying a couple details and connections I never made, the player solved one of the deaths I couldn't solve until near the end of the game.

After I was done feeling stupid, it made me appreciate how much specific purpose the game designer put into every little aspect of the game.

I think a second playthrough of Obra Dinn will be immensely rewarding once I've forgotten enough about it. I'll know what sorts of things to pay attention to, but not any of the specifics. Except for the socks. I won't forget them. I figured that one out myself, and was excessively proud of myself for it. Also, the first time through I often just guessed when down to two or three options, and on a second playthrough I wouldn't do that.

I do wish it was easier to navigate between memories, mind you. Perhaps this'll be less of an issue than I imagine, because only a handful of deaths are only accessible via other deaths, but I would still prefer it if memories could also be accessed via the book, rather than the pretty useless still you get.

I've got around 130 hours in Gran Turismo 7 and it feels like I could keep playing it for years. They're doing sort of a bad job of drip-feeding new content in spite of the fact that it's somewhat functionally incomplete compared to the entries from the series' heyday, but I'm still kind of absurdly engrossed in it, and I've even been playing online, which I practically never do in other games. In 2 races I've won two; at my level that mainly comes down to not crashing and then avoiding other peoples' accidents, but, hey, I'll take it.

I also pulled the old N64 out of storage and my little CRT television and, after expensive snafu involving a broken expansion pack, it's up and running. Got about halfway through Goldeneye 007, and don't let anyone tell you different: that game is still so good, framerate and all. I've also been dabbling in Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, and Banjo Kazooie (feels like I mostly have a collection of Rare titles) and while they're all bringing back great nostalgic feelings, they actually hold up pretty well today, which I sadly cannot say for a lot of games from that era.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

DAIKATANA! After you get past the awful first couple levels with robot frogs, crocodiles, dragonflies and green goo it's pretty decent. The gunplay is as solid as you would expect from a game with Id Software DNA.

N.B. I'm running v1.3 fan patch which improves the ally AI, enables save anywhere and makes it much more compatible with modern hardware (eg support for widescreen resolutions, adjustable FOV, removal of framerate cap, native AA + AF).

Okay, I've got all the memories in Obra Dinn, so now I can pluck at each thread separately. The final set of memories did make quite a few things easier, so I've now correctly identified about a quarter of all the people and their fates. However, I did get stuck quite a bit trying to find access to the last set of memories: That damn skull hanging on the wall...

Thimbleweed Park

A point and click adventure game in retro style with verbs at the bottom like those classic LucasArts adventure games, made by Ron Gilbert, creator of Monkey Island. This is basically an adventure game that's an ode to the genre, with lots of fourth wall breaking and jokes about and references to adventure games and 80's culture, geek culture and modern culture. But it also works as a proper adventure game itself, it's not so meta that it fails at being a good game in its own right. There are five playable characters, many actions can be done by any character but some have to be done by specific characters or multiple characters working together, that reminded me of Day of the Tentacle.

I really liked the game and can recommend it to people who have played and enjoyed the classics. I played it on PS4, you move the cursor with the gamepad which can be slightly slow but there aren't any time based puzzles so it doesn't matter. It'll probably run on any potato PC too. I was never stumped for a long time, I finished it on hard mode (there's an easy mode with fewer puzzles) in about 17 hours without using the in-game hint line or a walkthrough. It's not as hard as the classic adventure games and there aren't any moon logic puzzles, and like the LucasArts games you can't die or do something wrong that forces you to restart like many Sierra adventures had. Since I only paid 5 bucks for it it's very good value for money. Even if I had paid full price (20 dollars/euros) I probably would've found it worth my money, I had a lot of fun with it.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast