TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Collection of 1600+ textures

NewDark 64 Contest Winner

Collection of 1600+ textures

I've spent the last few months organizing all the textures I have scattered around, and I'm putting them up here for anyone who wants to use them. I've tried to include a little bit of everything, bricks and metals and roofs and forests, ornaments and wood and underground things. They should all be seamless where appropriate and they're resized to 512 or less. One link below has all the images saved as .dds files, but I'm putting up other links to the .png files in case anyone wants to edit them further. After editing though, you might want to convert them to dds again. I'm not even sure Dromed can handle all these at once, and maybe there are only a few dozen you like, but do whatever you want to them. Most are reworked from texture sites online, but others are my own creation. Below is a preview of a few of them.
    DDS
    PNG1
    PNG2
    EDIT- I also added a fix for one metal texture here, it resized poorly. New Metalgrate3

Last edited by Xorak; 12th Jan 2022 at 01:55. Reason: added fixed texture

Appreciate you sharing this! Good-looking free textures can be quite hard to come by!

Many textures have contrast issues. But I found a lot of useful things nonetheless, including some rare. Thank you!

Wow these are great! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much

I used a lot of your textures in Raven Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Tear View Post
    Many textures have contrast issues. But I found a lot of useful things nonetheless, including some rare. Thank you!
    Are there that many with issues? I tried to include duplicates of some just to give different ideas of how a texture could look or be used. I don't think they look that bad in-game with different lighting effects on them.

EDIT- I also added a fix to the first post, one of the metal textures didn't resize nicely. (You can see the error in one of the metal grate preview images)
    Last edited by Xorak; 8th Jan 2022 at 05:19.

Thank you Xorak, this is nice collection!

These are great Xorax! Is there any license associated with these? I'd like to share with The Dark Mod forums (and possibly even use some for my indie game projects), but most TDM mappers tend to only use CC0 or similar.

As far as I know, there is no license on anything. They are taken from the usual free sites like texture.com, texturer, goodtextures, and others that are no longer around, like Mayang textures. From what I understand, they allow you to use the textures as long as they are a piece of your work and you aren't directly profiting from them. Others were made by me for the old Thief Enhancement Project attempts and then since modified over the years.

Cool, I'll go ahead and x-post on the TDM forums then :-). Thanks for your generosity!

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    Are there that many with issues? I tried to include duplicates of some just to give different ideas of how a texture could look or be used. I don't think they look that bad in-game with different lighting effects on them.

EDIT- I also added a fix to the first post, one of the metal textures didn't resize nicely. (You can see the error in one of the metal grate preview images)
    All 512x512 DDS textures look bad to me. They are grainy once in game. They look like they are boiling and their pixels moving like you see asphalt or other surfaces on a hot day.
    And they should be 170.80 KB.
    They are 128.13 KB instead.

OK. I'll have to maybe convert them individually by hand. I used a generic program to convert them to dds and I guess maybe it didn't convert them properly. When I looked at them in dromed, they look alright, but I can see some graininess now when I move around more.

They will need mipmaps to allow for a softer look when viewed from a distance. That will also account for the difference on 128kb instead of 170kb.
    In the past I've used nvidia's own tool, nvdxt, to do mass conversion.
    Example batch file:
    Code:
    @echo off
    set nvdxt="C:\...nvdxt.exe"
    set dir="C:\...dir for source images"
    set outdir="C:\...output dir"

%nvdxt% -file %dir%\*.png -dxt1c -Box -outdir %outdir%

pause
    Note that "-Box" is the name of the filter that's used to generate the mip maps.
    Also note that this assumed all source textures are .png

I've only noticed graininess on textures that are actually grainy. The smoother/less noisy textures don't show any issues for me.

edit: nvDXT is part of the legacy DDS Utilities package from here:
    https://developer.nvidia.com/gamewor...utilities-8-31
    Last edited by R Soul; 12th Jan 2022 at 16:21.

Thanks, I’ll make sure to use that