TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Dark 10 Year Anniversary Contest?

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    has anyone ever made a camvator scene in newdark yet?
    Yes, Beltzer did it in the last "mission" of Lonmore, wich actually is a camvator.

ty ,i forgot due to over spice use

I think that such a contest should differ from others in two conditions: a beautiful picture and the canonicity of the series. This can be an alternative to anniversary contests, but using any custom resources.
    It might also make sense to limit the size of the map so creators don't drown in it.

I'm not sure whether we had a similarly themed contets already, but... what if we play with the "10 years" time gap between now and NewDark? Such as: The FM author should take something from one of the first three (or maybe four?) games and make a mission that deals with what happens ten years later because of the "something". Maybe some light is shed on Garrett's new life ten years after the end of Thief 3. Or maybe Brother Murus has need for Garrett's undead services again. Or Basso and Jenivere want to celebrate their 10 year anniversary after escaping from Lady Rumsford's clutches in Thief 2, but then something bad (possibly connected to Lady Rumsford) happens?

The idea here is the general rule that something from ten years before is to be continued, and the authors may come up with mission backgrounds like the ones described with detail here, not that the detailed descriptions I gave above are the rule for the contest. "The Lady Rumford aftermath contest" would be too restricted, I guess.

This could give the authors enough freedom if no useful ideas around the NewDark anniversary crop up.

One idea that was being tossed around was to remake an OM with the old dark limitations removed. Could be fun.

Given that there are so many good ideas being thrown around, I'd love the contest to be open enough to allow most of them. Want to make an OM with NewDark limits? Want to make a multiplayer map? Want to make an all-custom experience? All that and more should be on the cards for so broad a celebration as a 'NewDark anniversary'.

It's clear people are inspired to try various things. If the rule were to be "get the most out of NewDark, however you want to", I don't think that's too vague a criterion to be useful. This thread alone proves otherwise... so long as people follow through

DromEd Archmage
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkBogan View Post
    Given that there are so many good ideas being thrown around, I'd love the contest to be open enough to allow most of them. Want to make an OM with NewDark limits? Want to make a multiplayer map? Want to make an all-custom experience? All that and more should be on the cards for so broad a celebration as a 'NewDark anniversary'.

It's clear people are inspired to try various things. If the rule were to be "get the most out of NewDark, however you want to", I don't think that's too vague a criterion to be useful. This thread alone proves otherwise... so long as people follow through
    Sure, but it would be unbalanced tho. The one who decides to remake an OM with ND limits would definitely have more chance to make a good mission finished in time compared to those choosing full custom or multiplayer.
    Since full custom would require a lot of time gathering all the custom resources and using these properly. And Mutliplayer is a dark area that few have explored yet... so it would based a lot on experiment and tech, add to that the betatest should be done with one player and with several players to make sure one forever alone buddy would not end unable to complete the mission.

IMO, a multiplayer contest should be organized at the condition some multiplayer FMs comes out so at least your average FM author could join in. Atm, I fear only tech or experimenter authors could do that, and we all know these are not numerous, and would prefer taking their time working on this until they find "the recipe" to make a good MP mission ; with certainly some additionnal settings/scripts to make sure the mission will work for everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12