TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2022 video thread

Gameplay from the alpha version of Doom 3. I much prefer the creature audio in this one, than the one they released. This is far more sinister, not sure why they didn't keep these sounds

Speaking of...

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post

Level 10,000 achieved
    this raelly happen

Anyway I know I'm been BIG UPPING Corridor Crew here before but you gotta watch this if you're interested in filmmaking. They compare the benefits of doing a shot with practical vs digital effects and the results may SHOCK YOU (or not)

The most interesting takeaway for me was how much more real the actors reactions were to the practical effect. In retrospect it makes perfect sense that the reaction to real (fake) blood hitting your face would cause a much more genuine reaction than no blood. Acting is REACTING yo!

Right, that's a huge part why, say, the Star Wars prequels were so poor in acting, blocking, and general camerawork. Although, I'm not exactly a fan of extreme method acting and "genius artist" directors torturing and injuring their actors in name of "realistic" performances either.
    Last edited by Starker; 29th Jun 2022 at 12:47.

"method acting" has become synonym of white male actors being assholes, but its roots aren't inherently bad since it's basically (as far as I understand it) diving into your own experience to better relate to and embody your character...

A good showcase of practical effects being superior is the latest Top Gun movie. Regardless of what you think of the movie as a whole, the fact they're all in real planes eating those Gs at high speeds does make a big difference. Nolan movies are also generally better for the same reasons. The corridor fight in Interstellar comes to mind.

I just watched a few entries of a cool YT series called "Abandoned", about, well, abandoned places around the globe. It's fascinating. Here's one I really liked about one of the last surviving great steam liners, the SS United States, currently docked and quasi-derelict in Philadelphia:

Jim Breuer has gone downhill. Wayyyy down hill. It's not just that he isn't funny but now he is pandering to the sort of people who think science is stupid. Seriously. The sort who failed science. That is his audience. And they are laughing like this is funny. Forgive me if I only learned this recently but it disheartens me that he is that low. Sucking up to the ignorant. I get that he doesn't have to be actually funny and do any work if he just says what they want to hear but goodgod this is awful.

Some real comedy.

And now a message from The Kuiper Belt.

Interesting take on this cartoon-

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Jim Breuer has gone downhill. Wayyyy down hill. It's not just that he isn't funny but now he is pandering to the sort of people who think science is stupid. Seriously. The sort who failed science. That is his audience. And they are laughing like this is funny. Forgive me if I only learned this recently but it disheartens me that he is that low. Sucking up to the ignorant. I get that he doesn't have to be actually funny and do any work if he just says what they want to hear but goodgod this is awful.
    I enjoy comedy from a pretty broad swath of sources, whether it's German political Kabarett, Russian KVN, Japanese manzai, British satire, US slapstick, you name it... While humour can be pretty subjective, one thing I've noticed over the years is that these days the right-wing comedians in the US just don't seem to be all that funny for some reason. And recently I came across this video that maybe sheds some light on why that is:

That was truly long winded and I watched it all. I don't disagree but he repeated over and over what could have been said by simply saying the right is mean and vindictive and that just isn't funny. Funny is light hearted. Funny is observational. Funny does not promote a lack of intelligence but takes jibes at it even when the object of that is oneself.

The punchline I got was that they're not even trying to be funny in the way that humans are wired to find things funny.

I guess if you want to get technical about it, at least as far as I understand it (which I'm not guaranteeing is exactly right), the N400 is a negative potential spike in the temporal lobe when some piece of information doesn't fit with what's expected. If you set it up and get the timing right (the N400 is going to be a lot bigger the bigger the differential from the expectation value at the top of its peak vs. what you give them right on that beat), you can plug in a really unexpected word or phrase, but that still makes sense in an absurd way, and it's going to spike dopaminergic action to like three levels or so of recognition: unexpected, makes sense, and brings a really absurd or abject image to mind. A good comedian is crafting language to work in time with that whole complex machinery to evoke the strongest reaction they can juice out of it.

The other thing you could do is juice the oxytocinergic action, where you're value signaling and juicing for solidarity & gatekeeping membership to the tribe, which is to say, being very clear who's outside, although there are a few similar elements, especially the abjection (sometimes phrased as "the cruelty is the point").

The sign you've derailed from doing legit comedy is when you intentionally, in terms of what your entire goal is with your set, stop juicing the former machinery and start juicing the latter. It's probably easier to show if you just look at a lot of examples, but I think you get the gist of my hypothesis.

Yeah, I really appreciated that he brought specific examples of both conservatives being funny and not being funny and talked about what made the jokes work or not. And the reason being that US conservatives tend to see comedy as a weapon first and as entertainment second made a lot of sense in that light.

I think another issue is that so many conservative politicians are just so fucking absurd. Nobody covering Dubya or Trump will ever lack for material. Boebert's husband reportedly drove into a neighbor's mailbox and it barely makes a ripple in the national conversation.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 14th Aug 2022 at 01:57.

That was enjoyably cringey!
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Autumn equinox fire celebration with coworkers

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SSC5S7d7NZc

Not sure why the video isn't embedding^. Formatting problem?

Hi ttlg!

Quote Originally Posted by SubvertizingOrg View Post
    Autumn equinox fire celebration with coworkers

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SSC5S7d7NZc

Not sure why the video isn't embedding^. Formatting problem?

Hi ttlg!

When was he ever here? How can you be back from never was?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast