TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do the Thief games rank in your personal top?

Heh, my list is only a bit less PC centric than all of yours it seems.

1. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
    2. Thief: Gold
    3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    4. Blood
    5. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
    6. Bloodborne
    7. Hitman: Blood Money
    8. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    9. Dark Souls 3
    10. Terraria

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    4. Blood
    Haha, I loved Blood, Caleb was like a darker Duke Nukem, almost as funny.

Blood 2 was great too, very underrated, and shares some key elements with Half Life (released just a year later). Not sure if it was mere coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    The only Kojima game that I have managed to play fully and even somewhat like, although it took several tries and during boss fights most of the time I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing haha

There are thousands of games in most of the individual game genres that are endlessly ranked against each other. But imo, Thief 1-3 stands alone in it's own special place. When I play any Thief game or Thief fan mission, I have no concern for any other game or genre.

Thief series belongs in the company of (but not compared to) classic games series such as the Baldur's Gates, Might & Magic (not heroes), Gothic, Arx Fatalis, Ultima 6 & 7, etc.

For those for whom Thief is in their top games list, was there an exact moment when you realised that this is not just "merely" an excellent game, it is an incredible game, almost likw a switch flipping?

I've mentioned this before, but for me it was in Cragscleft and I was in one of the prison blocks, zig-zagging through the floor shadows to avoid being seen by the Hammer guard above. I had been enjoying it up until then, but at that moment the feeling struck me as to just how up there this game was, and that it was going to end up in my personal top three PC titles.

With Deus Ex that moment came in the first New York City streets hub. I can't remember 100% clearly the thought processes now, but I remember the realisation of just how amazing this game truly is, reaching me as I was walking in the streets.

With Systerm Shock 2, I do not remember any single specific revelatory moment, so guess it must have crept up on me as I was playing, because as mentioned previously, that too went into my top 3 PC games list.
    Last edited by Cigam; 7th May 2022 at 18:26.

I was walking home late at night after playing the game and I started noticing shadows that would be good to hide in. It's called the Tetris effect, apparently (or, more generally, game transfer phenomenon). The feeling of "being there", being able to lose yourself in the fantasy was something I was only able to experience with books previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    For those for whom Thief is in their top games list, was there an exact moment when you realised that this is not just "merely" an excellent game, it is an incredible game, almost likw a switch flipping?

I've mentioned this before, but for me it was in Cragscleft and I was in one of the prison blocks, zig-zagging through the floor shadows to avoid being seen by the Hammer guard above. I had been enjoying it up until then, but at that moment the feeling struck me as to just how up there this game was, and that it was going to end up in my personal top three PC titles.
    Cragscleft is also when I went from "this game is really good" to "OK, this is something else, holy shit" while I was getting lost in the mines and was spooked by the incredible audio. To this day Cragscleft is in my top 3 missions in the series, that's how much of an impact it had on me.

I'm only including first person games, it's too hard to compare to my love of strategy games (AOE II, Starcraft, etc...) since they scratch a very different itch.

1. Thief 1 and 2
    2. Deus Ex (Original only)
    3. Portal
    4. TES IV: Oblivion
    5. Unreal

Interesting, for me it was exactly the same spot, the atmosphere was so dense that you could cut it with a knife. I loved the whole Cragsleft mission because it was very different right from the start.

I remember this moment clearly even though I was only about 7-8 years old back then. It was when I watched my brother playing "down in the bonehoard", when you get to the place with the ladders up to the horn and garrett says "good thing Im not afraid of heights". I played it in german and the whole of it, the surrounding, the atmosphere and the voice actor had such a big impact on me that I was just stunned and I realized how much I will love this game forever

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Cragscleft is also when I went from "this game is really good" to "OK, this is something else, holy shit"
    Funny how we have so different opinions, but after playing the Bafford's Manor demo for hours and loving it, I remember being quite disappointed by Cragscleft! I guess I sort of expected Thief to be a bit more "normal" and not have that much supernatural stuff and zombies and so on, because I thought that they didn't really fit in. I found the mission quite bland and ugly as well compared to Bafford's.

Then of course I fell in love with Dromed, and decided to make an ugly mission that had zombies in it.

Hi! I'm quasi-new here and found my brain lingering on the Thiefsphere again.

Thief II has been my favorite game ever since it came out, but recently Doom Eternal finally took the top spot 22 years later. I'm a sucker for a brilliant soundscape. My tops:

1. Doom Eternal
    2. Thief II
    3. Grim Fandango
    4. Curse of Monkey Island
    5. Skyrim

I probably will set up 5.1 for Thief II again in the next few weeks, and that might push it back up to #1 again.

My ranking of PC games I've played (including one that isn't really a PC game but has a PC emulator) is as follows:

1. Thief: The Dark Project (1998)
    2. Thief II: The Metal Age (2000)
    3. Thief Gold (1998)
    4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006)
    5. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (2002)
    6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
    7. Thief: Deadly Shadows (2004)
    8. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (1996)
    9. Silver (1999)
    10. Thief (2014)

Thief 2014 barely makes my list, only hanging on due to its at least somewhat sound stealth gameplay (though I'm definitely not a fan of how on rails it is) and vague connections to the real Thief series.

As for the Thief trilogy, ironically enough, I'm one of those players who much prefers classic thieving (breaking into guarded mansions, museums, banks and offices, rooftop and street burglaries, etc.) rather than more fantasy-focused elements, but I still prefer TDP to TMA and TDS. The story feels much stronger and tighter to me, the whole game has much better writing overall (and writing quality goes a long way with me in any artistic medium), I feel it was more innovative and did a better job at world-building than its sequels did, and it just feels more...atmospheric somehow. It's really engrossing. I also prefer the general style and flavor of the Hammerites to the Mechanists, the Trickster to Karras in terms of mysterious and terrifying villains, and the more medieval, less modernized feel to the setting. The first five missions of TDP were the absolute best for me, though I do definitely like some things about The Haunted Cathedral (especially Garrett's discovery of the abandoned Keeper chapel), The Lost City, and Undercover. Gameplay sort of declines for me after The Sword, but the later missions are still relatively enjoyable. I would ordinarily have been less pleased with creeping through prisons, tombs, caverns, and ancient ruins than wealthy manors and castles, but Break From Cragscleft Prison and Down In The Bonehoard were so well crafted that I can't help but love them. Their ambiance and internal story elements (particularly the journals of Felix, Adolpho, and the other thieves, the burricks' tunneling and fascination with the Horn of Quintus's music, and the general mystery of the Bonehoard) really intrigue me.

Next come the Elder Scrolls games, and while I actually think Morrowind is far more of a masterpiece than Oblivion in various ways, Oblivion's actual gameplay is undeniably tighter and superior overall. I actually tried out Daggerfall much more recently than the other games in the series (just this past year, in fact), so I lacked any kind of real nostalgia for it, but I nonetheless have to appreciate a certain charm about it that speaks to fantasy games of that era. Silver is another game like that — one whose actual gameplay is pretty simplistic and mediocre to me, but whose writing, art design, music, setting, and particularly voice acting are absolutely impeccable. I highly recommend it on that basis alone.

1. Thief TDP/Gold
    2. Enderal: Forgotten Stories
    3. Baldur's Gate Saga
    4. Thief 2
    5. Quake
    6. Hexen
    7. Final Fantasy 6
    8. Thief 3
    9. Dishonored
    10. Grim Dawn

Thief became an incredible game for me when I found the second demo of TDP, the Assassins mission, and playing both demos over and over again for months before I got the game for my birthday. Never played anything like it before, by the time the game was installed on my hard drive, it was already my favorite.

For those for whom Thief is in their top games list, was there an exact moment when you realised that this is not just "merely" an excellent game, it is an incredible game, almost likw a switch flipping?....
    No other game can ever come close to how I felt playing through Thief The Dark Project the first time - it wasn't a single moment, rather it was the cumulative WTF? THIS IS SO FREAKING AWESOME as I proceeded through it the first time.

The increasing tension of each level right up to the return to the cathedral level - where you don't even get a blackjack because it is useless there plus the primal fear of hammer haunts when they get their red-mist speed boost when you grab the eye and then find the front door relocked.

The terror of dodging fire elementals when you run out of water arrows in "escape".... There is so much more I could say about it.
    Last edited by lordhern; 7th Jun 2022 at 16:46.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12