TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Deus Ex & Thief IPs + Eidos Montreal are about to be sold to Embracer Group

Level 10,000 achieved

Deus Ex & Thief IPs + Eidos Montreal are about to be sold to Embracer Group

Kotaku story

While the purchase isn’t final—this is just “an agreement to acquire” them until everything is signed off later in the year—the announcement press release says that if approved it will be a USD$300 million deal. For the $300 mil, Embracer will get hold of:

-The studios Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal and Square Enix Montreal (the latter of which will presumably be in for a name change), numbering around 1100 employees worldwide.

-The “catalogue of IPs” owned and/or worked on by those studios, including Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Thief, Legacy of Kain and “the continued sales and operations of the studios’ more than 50 back-catalogue games”. Also of interest: “Crystal Dynamics is actively working on several AAA projects, including the next mainline Tomb Raider game that will deliver next-generation storytelling and gameplay experiences.”
    300Mill sounds kinda... cheap? I mean MS just bought Activision for 68 BILLIONS and previously Minecraft for 2.5 Billion. Embracer previously bought Gearbox for 1.3B. So 300M for all this kinda sounds like chump change. Couldn't Square get a better deal or are they really just that desperate?

And what does this mean for Thief and DX? I haven't paid enough attention to Embracer to know if this means more games are on the way or not. But their press release sounds hopeful:

The acquisition brings a compelling pipeline of new installments from beloved franchises and original IPs, including a new Tomb Raider game. The acquisition builds on Embracer’s mission of creating a leading independent global gaming and entertainment ecosystem. Embracer has been particularly impressed by the studios’ rich portfolio of original IP, housing brands with proven global potential such as Tomb Raider and Deus Ex, as well as demonstrating the ability to create AAA games with large and growing fan bases. There are compelling opportunities to organically grow the studios to maximize their commercial opportunities.
    Square seemed to be pretty much done with these IPs so I guess this isn't a step backwards at least. I really hope EM gets to make more Deus Ex and Thief.

Huh. I've never heard of the Embracer Group. But seeing how Square hasn't shown much interest in doing anything with these IPs, I definitely don't think this is automatically bad.

I think the hybrid thing happening between Eastern & Western gaming tropes has its limits, and this is an example. These games were just never meant to be Square Enix games, and the firesale price (for all we know) makes it look like they thought that as well.

I guess we'll find out what Embracer Group is. I'm sure it will be fine as long as they don't just abandon them. For that matter though, I haven't been all that crazy for a game in this line, or probably any immersive sim FPS that wasn't from Arkane, in the last 5+ or so years anyway.

----------

Edit: Maybe an exception. If they can reinvent or revitalize Tomb Raider that would be cool. It fills that niche of 3D platforming (as such), which is a genre I like when I like it, and I'd like to see it still made. I don't know if DX is anything beyond a stylish FPS anymore. And we don't need to mention Thief.

Oh wait, though, do they also own Anachronox now too? Now what we really need is that Anachronox sequel! XD
    Last edited by demagogue; 2nd May 2022 at 04:50.

I've said on Twitter that I'd be more excited (at least potentially) for new Thief. When it comes to Deus Ex, what I would really love to see is an Arkane take on the IP, the way Thief and System Shock were clear influences on Dishonored and Prey. (I know that some people argue that Dishonored already has Deus Ex leanings in terms of the game mechanics, but that's a different discussion.)

And the winner is.. Hitman the only old series that could stay relevant to this day, although I personally don't like the Hitman games since the 2016 edition, they feel too soulless and sterile to me.

Maybe the new owner will revive Thief and Deus Ex and someone will finally buy my collections on ebay.

More Deus Ex would be nice. They left the trilogy hanging when MD failed to get enough traction for a sequel…

Never heard of Embracer so it’s difficult to say if the news is good or bad. SE didn’t seem interested in these IPs in any case…
    Last edited by rachel; 2nd May 2022 at 11:44.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hitman isn't Squeenix-owned anymore. IO bought the rights back in 2017, which is probably why it's still getting new releases and not just sitting around gathering dust.

Embracer group have been gobbling up tons of studios over the last few years, check out the list of acquisitions! There's also a list of all their subsidiaries on their wiki. They got THQ Nordic, Saber Interactive, Gearbox, Koch Media, and more. Good news is that these publishers and studios do keep releasing new games regularly.

Level 10,000 achieved
    ShackNews reported that EM will be making a new Deus Ex, and lots of other sites are re-reporting it, but now ShackNews is like "oh wait maybe not".

But anyway, possibly, maybe, a new Deus Ex at some point? Tentative yay.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Fuck Square Enix forever for cancelling Deus Ex 5 in favour for Marvel capeshit. Mankind Divided was a bloody brilliant title.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    And what does this mean for Thief and DX? I haven't paid enough attention to Embracer to know if this means more games are on the way or not. But their press release sounds hopeful:
    Embracer Group = THQ Nordic, if that helps. Their core business model has been largely revitalising existing IPs and treating them with respect. Eg see how well their recent remakes of Destroy All Humans and Sponge Bob: Battle for Bikini Bottom turned out. In other words, there are really, really good chances that we might see the return of DX, Thief and Legacy of Kain.

I am truly over the moon about this news. Embracer Group is one of the biggest publishers in the world, but they seem to be a benevolent dictator, letting studios have a lot of autonomy.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by zajazd View Post
    And the winner is.. Hitman the only old series that could stay relevant to this day, although I personally don't like the Hitman games since the 2016 edition, they feel too soulless and sterile to me.
    Hitman was fucked into the dirt by Squeenix, demanding that it be turned into a live service. All of the Hitmans since 2016 to date have just been glorified expansion packs of the one live service game. None of the "World of Assassination trilogy" can be played offline, when they turn the servers off the game(s) will gone.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    300Mill sounds kinda... cheap?
    Maybe we should pass the good ol' donation cup around, see if any of our members have a few spare mil lying around?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    (I know that some people argue that Dishonored already has Deus Ex leanings in terms of the game mechanics, but that's a different discussion.)
    Thief was a game about avoiding confrontation, Deus Ex and Dishonored are power fantasies where they give you a toolbox and some problems to fix and let you go at it.

I would absolutely love an Arkane-designed game with Thief-style gameplay though. Like a bigger budget Neon Struct or something.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    None of the "World of Assassination trilogy" can be played offline, when they turn the servers off the game(s) will gone.
    From everything I've read, it seems like all the main missions/locations can still be played offline.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    From everything I've read, it seems like all the main missions/locations can still be played offline.
    Any item unlock progress and other statistics aren't recorded. Hitman 2016 was pulled from GOG for being heavily crippled by the live service DRM - it being there was antithetical to the web store's policies.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 3rd May 2022 at 04:05.