TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Embracer Group to acquire Thief IP rights!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    I would be very interested to see a new studio's take on the Thief series.
    Thief 2: Erin's Revenge

You might expect something like that from a small indie dev maybe, but the big studios won't spend their time and money on these things anymore. It's just not profitable.
    More than profitability, the main reason why big studios don't release their tools is mostly due to licensing and the huge amount of work needed to make them usable by modders. A lot of games are made using licensed tech and tools in addition to their own which is an absolute nightmare when it comes to releasing all of that to the public, as you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Thief 2: Erin's Revenge

I would be very interested to see a new studio's take on the Thief series.
    I don't need to see any more takes, interpretations, or artistic liberties on Thief franchise. After seeing new studio takes on it with TDS and Thief 2014, I've seen enough "takes". I just want a new, faithfully crafted Thief game using T1/T2 as the gold standard to follow

i am pretty sure the fan mission authors could remake thief 3 in new dark for thief 2,the city hub is already playable and some missions were made from it,so no need to have a company waste time doing something the community can do probably better since they can have more time to create levels,then a company could

a real thief 4 is needed so we can find out what happens post thief 3 or a prequel to thief 1,there is a lot of deep lore some of us dye hard thief fans want to know about what happens before thief 1

i feel a redo of anything is not truly worth it ,lets look at thief gold as the only example from thief series,did it really make the game better? adding 3 more levels and 1 bonus level,and they ruined the original order of missions,and removed a talisman from a level/etc,thieves guild was ok nothing amazing,the opera house gets high praise from so many but it felt empty to me as a level and mage towers also felt empty over all,basically a key hunt mission and bonus mission was i guess fun the first time,but so many fan mission put it to shame

so over all thief gold was not an improvement to thief 1 dark project

i guess a big question for thief players is what direction do you think thief should go? i feel the lore should be first,then missions,so when i hear people say remake i think they not into the lore as they would not add much to remake

basically there is more then 1 type of thief fan and how people comment shows what type of fan they are ,lets add new cannon lore with a new thief game that continues the lore or add more from before thief 1 making it possible to have more new avenues to see what the authors can create from it

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider One View Post
    A new NuThief game? No, thanks. As a Thief fan, I don't want another trash. We don't need Thief games anymore.
    As a Thief fan, I need more Thief games

I believe it is perfectly possible to have a new Thief game that is good.

here is a weird idea for a thief 4 game have it be both a post thief 3 game with flashbacks on pre thief 1,let me explain a little bit,game starts out right after events of thief 3 ending,time travel gets discovered and garrett has a opportunity to go back in time to change things from events from past games,so it can have elements of older games but also done in a new way where you can go back to when the hag was a young keeper,to karrass going up the ranks from a hammer to a mech leader,game would also have many ending depending on what you do in game,just an idea to be able to add lore also go back on old games in series and add great new game play,have a chance to save cutty from cragscleft,save farkus from that arrow,have a way to add a burrick companion,add a layer of mages magic as keeper magic is gone,possibly ally with the woodsie lord and change history,save viktoria from her death,so many amazing ending could be discovered,garrett maybe leaves keepers to marry viktoria,help basso get off the sauce,revisit old friends like brother muras,you get the idea ohh yeah save that one guy from the tombs/he is dead by the time you get there cant believe i forgot his name,raise a frog beast in your home location,grow glow mushroom,as flares are kinda a lame item in thief my view

ohh yeah i also feel the murlocks are a great addition to thief universe and should be involved in some way,they never forgot about the crown we took

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    here is a weird idea for a thief 4 game have it be both a post thief 3 game with flashbacks on pre thief 1,let me explain a little bit,game starts out right after events of thief 3 ending,time travel gets discovered
    Hey how about this idea? Garrett discovers time travel but ends up in an alternate universe where many of the same places and Garrett's acquaintances exist by name but they're very different even Garrett himself has changed and his vocal cords have been altered when traveling through time (time travel sometimes has funny side effects like that) so he even sounds different! Crazy but pretty cool huh? To spice things up Garrett's hometown in this alternate universe is plagued by some nasty disease and people are overly violent and they swear a lot to make this game seem like a proper game for adults and not some silly children's game with made-up swear words. I think that is the most important feature about this new game. To make things better Garrett has a sidekick maybe a young edgy woman and they could have a romance. Well no maybe that's a bit too much but just imagine little Garrett babies lol. Garrett and his sidekick are chased by this evil guy who likes to call himself General and True Thief 4 ends when Garrett saves the world from the evil guys and the plague. As a cliffhanger this General character turns out to be Dewdrop in disguise and he has caused a rip in time-space continuum and that explains why nothing in the alternate universe seems to make any sense so in Thief 5 Garrett must track him down and kill him so that he can return to his own world and maybe even get his normal voice back. Hopefully someone from Embracer Group is following this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider One View Post
    There is no guarantee for a good Thief game. Sorry, if you call yourself a Thief fan, then you should know that the remaster of the trilogy is more necessary than making another risky Thief game.
    Of course there's no guarantee that any future Thief game will be a good one. Even if they make one, it's almost certainly going to be quite different to the old games. However, if they never make another new Thief game, I can guarantee that we're not getting another good Thief game.

We don't need another Thief games anymore after last one's failures. In my country, the trilogy has no value because of NuThief, and as I see from other foreign reviews, it is the same in many countries. Many people thinks NuThief is a great game. They don't even try to play the trilogy. We don't need another NuThief to ruin the trilogy again. There is no point for making another one nowadays. There are more people than here who love Thief and devoted themselves to the series. They don't want to see the series butchered again like the last one's did.
    I'm not sure if I follow your logic here. You seem to forget that The Dark Project for example is nearly 25 years old, so it's hardly a surprise that it's not on the top of the shopping list for the newer generations of gamers. I strongly disagree about the original trilogy "having no value because of NuThief" though - in fact I think it's the other way around! Thief 2014 got mostly average reviews in most places, but I can't remember (m)any reviews that didn't mention the original games in positive light, calling them classics and everything, and for a good reason of course. They are classics, and far from being forgotten.

I prefer remaster of the trilogy and playing the community made fan missions forever than see a new Thief game.
    Why can't you have both though? I'd rather see a new Thief game and play the older games as well when I feel like it. I'll just never understand the logic that a new entry to a series would destroy the legacy of the old games, or whatever, especially in this case where the new entry isn't even connected to the classics, so you can't mess up the lore and stuff. You can just pretend that Thief 2014 never happened. I won't do that, but I also hope that any new Thief game would just ditch the reboot universe.

What kind of a remaster are you talking about anyway? Just a graphical overhaul? If so, what's wrong with the fan-made patches, or the GOG version of Thief for example? (I assume that it comes with NewDark and some of the "essential" mods - correct me if I'm wrong!) Or would you like to see some gameplay improvements too, new features even? That's a dangerous route to take, because when you (try to) fix one thing, you'll often just break another. The end result would still be quite different, too different for many. Having said that, I would be disappointed if a new Thief release - even an official new "remaster" - had the same AI from the original games and the broken melee combat was left untouched. I doubt that such a remaster would bring back the golden age of Thief either.

lol tomi being sarcastic,i never even played thief 2014 and i know what you were saying

but thank you for the laugh

and leave dewdrop put of it :P

This was a nice quote, if you're like me and want a new Thief game.

The press release continued, stating... "Embracer sees an opportunity to invest in these franchises (Tomb Raider and Deus Ex), as well as the additional acquired IPs such as Legacy of Kain, Thief, and other original franchises.”
    From here: https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/...d-deus-ex/amp/

I prefer a different studio than SE Montreal or Eidos Montreal work on Thief, though. Based on Thief 2014 and tweets from studio leadership afterward, I get the sense they didn't really understand Thief DNA or made a conscious decision to deviate heavily from it, and really in their hearts don't want to make another Thief.

If there is a studio in Europe that Embracer Group has, I feel that would be a safer bet to get working on Thief. European players seem to have passion and understanding for Thief ... plus, they probably have easier access to amazing architectural and cultural resources and inspiration (castles, keeps, mansions, streets, towns, etc. that are very old). Something in me just thinks there's a better chance of getting a truer "Thief" experience if it is developed in Europe.
    Last edited by Darkness_Falls; 6th May 2022 at 12:56.

wtf??

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    haha wtf is this screen shot !!! xD

________
    scrabble solver

I think the biggest draw to an official modern graphic remaster of iconic games such as Thief (and maybe Oblivion) is the possibility of a 64bit version. Even if the official version was not exactly what the community wanted, this could open up nearly unlimited possibilities for modding. 4k, 8k thief anyone? I wish I had the resources and rights to make 64bit versions of many classic open world games that have thousands of fan mods.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Estel Randir View Post
    I think the biggest draw to an official modern graphic remaster of iconic games such as Thief (and maybe Oblivion) is the possibility of a 64bit version. Even if the official version was not exactly what the community wanted, this could open up nearly unlimited possibilities for modding. 4k, 8k thief anyone?
    You have no idea what you're talking about. There is no connection between the bitness of a game's executable and the screen resolution it can run at, nor how much it can be modded.

My first and foremost request would be to allow Nightdive Studios to make remasters (NOT remakes!) of the classic Thief trilogy. They already have experience remastering games made in the Dark Engine since they worked on System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition and did a wonderful job with it. If theres one studio out there that I trust in staying faithful to the original games while updating all 3 of them to modern machines is Nightdive.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. There is no connection between the bitness of a game's executable and the screen resolution it can run at, nor how much it can be modded.
    I am talking about texture resolution combined with content quantity. If you actually knew anything, you would know that x32 is very limited in it's ability to handle extreme detail (ultra high resolution textures) before it runs out of memory and crashes. x64 has (for modern purposes) nearly unlimited memory resources. Which allows for the possibility of extremely large resolution textures combined with the possibility of extreme amount of content in fan missions at the same time. Anyone who has spent anytime modding games such as Oblivion would understand this. But your arrogant & too busy wanting to "call someone out", so I do not expect you do.

As someone who just burned out of the game industry after seeing every company I ever wanted to work for be subsumed by more and more massive corporations, god, please, let there never be another official Thief game. It would have *so* many game modes, daily events, and open-world outsource filler. I don't think a big budget Thief is a safe enough bet at this kind of business growth speed, anyway.

I think they'd definitely up the snark for Garrett again, because that's in for modern media. That's about all I'd look forward to.

I'm still hoping someone super smart (not me) makes the real VR spiritual successor to put me right back in high school!

I'm more of the opinion that Thief 2014 tarnished the brand in a lot of ways and it would have been better to not have it at all. "Luckily" it was such a flop that I'm sure it will make anyone think twice before pursuing that path, so it's more likely we'll get something more old-school, if we do get anything.

But realistically... I don't think we're going to get anything. Stephen Russell is getting old and won't reprise the role of Garrett, it's just unlikely. Making a "proper" Thief game would require actually caring about things like sound propagation, immersive level design, stellar writing, strong artistic themes, and so on, basically what the first two Thief games were praised for. That doesn't exist in games anymore, not with the corporate culture that has infested anything and everything. The only possible way something really good could come out of it is when you give full creative control to someone who's experienced enough to be a lead director and also understands Thief. Giving people resources to build proper sound design, and the rest. All the effort for an already niche genre. Can you really imagine that happening? Nah. Thief is a two games series + fan missions.

Quote Originally Posted by zomfg1234 View Post
    I'm more of the opinion that Thief 2014 tarnished the brand in a lot of ways and it would have been better to not have it at all. "Luckily" it was such a flop that I'm sure it will make anyone think twice before pursuing that path, so it's more likely we'll get something more old-school, if we do get anything.

But realistically... I don't think we're going to get anything. Stephen Russell is getting old and won't reprise the role of Garrett, it's just unlikely.
    I can't remember, did Stephen say he would no longer reprise the role of Garrett? He was initially brought in for Thief 2014 and he did voice over for a Trailer before being replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZDHZyThW1M

I think if the right project came along he would bring Garrett to life one more time.

What I meant is, it will take so much time to make an actual Thief game, by that point Mr. Russell will be too old to bring that energy (unless it's old man Garrett), or dead. If they're working on it right this moment, they could bring him on board, for sure. Something tells me they're not and won't really do anything with it for a longer while. I'd be delighted to be wrong though.

I love Stephen Russell, but there's no reason they can't make a good Thief game using a different main character and/or voice actor. Of all the things Teef did wrong, that was probably near the bottom of the list. Game mechanics and world building are what they should focus on.

Actually I agree, the VA in Teef did a good job, he was competent. It's easy to forget that it's not just the voice and delivery, but also how it's written, the writing wasn't good but the voice acting itself was good for the material. At the same time it's hard to imagine Thief without Garrett, he really is a selling point on his own.

there is a company that focuses on world building "cyan" makers of myst/riven/etc but there games also lack something but in a different way then teeeeeeeeeeeef

if they can do a throw back megaman and its a hit

then they can take new dark engine,and make a deep and complexing story where the game play is already proven so they just can build the build to cater to garrett a great test would for then to redo thief 3 in newdark 100% and prove the concept,ofcouse adding swimming,rope/vine arrows/etc

then tackle Thief 4 post thief 3 storyline

here is another funny thing there use to be a game called prey where you an american Indian guy in a bar at start amazing game,but guess what they decided to redo game in space same name but re-imagined,i felt it was a bad move,they could have started it out as a brand new franchise,my point is the old prey was amazing,remake was good,but not same game

thief reboot was like that,i just hope they do the actual game of thief right,i dont even mind if they stream green light it,as it would be a smaller fan base,not like we would ever get a disk in a box

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    there is a company that focuses on world building "cyan" makers of myst/riven/etc but there games also lack something but in a different way then teeeeeeeeeeeef

if they can do a throw back megaman and its a hit

then they can take new dark engine,and make a deep and complexing story where the game play is already proven so they just can build the build to cater to garrett a great test would for then to redo thief 3 in newdark 100% and prove the concept,ofcouse adding swimming,rope/vine arrows/etc

then tackle Thief 4 post thief 3 storyline

here is another funny thing there use to be a game called prey where you an american Indian guy in a bar at start amazing game,but guess what they decided to redo game in space same name but re-imagined,i felt it was a bad move,they could have started it out as a brand new franchise,my point is the old prey was amazing,remake was good,but not same game

thief reboot was like that,i just hope they do the actual game of thief right,i dont even mind if they stream green light it,as it would be a smaller fan base,not like we would ever get a disk in a box
    Yes, I've been saying the same thing for awhile now. Using New Dark would be an awesome way to do it. Enough time has passed that we're in an age where the look of the original games is actually a stylistic choice now. The game doesn't need to look cutting edge and if anything, the look of the original games is part of what made it work in the first place. Would be amazing if some of the original creators could band together one last time on New Dark and crank out something special.

It's a long shot, but we now have sound AI that can replicate a person's voice. Not sure if it's available to the public yet, but you can enter a few sound files from a person's voice, and it will replicate it. You can technically input SR's voice and make him say whatever text you input. Not sure how the inflection and tone is though

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast