TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embracer Group to acquire Thief IP rights!

Embracer Group to acquire Thief IP rights!

Embracer Group to acquire Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, and Square Enix Montréal.
    The $300 million deal includes control of Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain, and more.
    Not quietly sure do i allowed to post links to news site or something. Also there are proof on Embracer Group press releases.

What you guys think about it? We can really get new Thief game!

For now that's just buying rights from one company by another. Hard to say if the new owner is planning to do anything with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ajay View Post
    For now that's just buying rights from one company by another. Hard to say if the new owner is planning to do anything with them.
    IMO there will be more chances to get new game that with Square Enix

Quote Originally Posted by PacmanUA View Post
    IMO there will be more chances to get new game that with Square Enix
    If it's gonna be another Nuthief, with all the flaws, and no Stephen Russell, I'll pass

Am cautiously optimistic! But hope the new IP owner doesn't fall into the trap of thinking Thief sequels/prequels need to be AAA games, where hundreds of millions get invested, and then they wonder why not every Call of Duty, Fortnite, and GTA player bought their game. (This is the trap Thief 2014 fell into, imo.)

It's a niche franchise, so don't pretend it can be the next Star Wars. Analyze and truly study the DNA of Thief 1/2 to see how unique they are and what makes them tick, and then work to embrace that and evolve only where it makes sense to. Make a new Thief game great without spending AAA dollars, and maybe you'll have a nice return on investment in the short term, and have a nice sleeper hit that is acclaimed and purchased for decades to come, potentially. I think treating it more like a small, indie game may be the best route to go; so when it doesn't have $1 billion in sales, they can still turn a decent profit. And also so if it performs 'just okay', it doesn't sink their ship, or make Thief go dormant for decades at a time.

PS: No swoop mechanic, "gloom" disease, or F words in any new Thief games, please. And if spacebar doesn't let you jump whenever you want, and QTEs are a thing, then I'm out, lol
    Last edited by Darkness_Falls; 5th May 2022 at 12:00.

300 million for all. Including the over-famous Tomb Raider. Interesting, how much for the Thief? I mean original trilogy? Who knows, maybe the community would be able to buy it and make it public domain. Just dreaming...

If no-one makes a new Thief game then there is NO chance of there being another great Thief game.
    If someone makes a new Thief game then there is A chance of there being another great Thief game.

So here's hoping that any new IP-owners do with Thief and Deus Ex what Disney did with Star Wars, and bring them back with - possibly several - new games.

Then there will be A chance of there being more great Thief and Deus Ex games.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    If no-one makes a new Thief game then there is NO chance of there being another great Thief game.
    If someone makes a new Thief game then there is A chance of there being another great Thief game.
    But there's a high chance that they'll butcher it again.
    We have T1, T2, T3, TDM, and regular new FM's being released. I say they should leave the franchise alone.

i'd just like them to update any and all digital distribution of the old games with the proper patches for the common consumer. especially TDS honestly

FKA Buccura
    Imagine if they let Nightdive do something with Thief.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness_Falls View Post
    hope the new IP owner doesn't fall into the trap of thinking Thief sequels/prequels need to be AAA games, where hundreds of millions get invested
    If a new Thief game is made it almost certainly won't be a huge AAA production. Looking at the releases from publishers/devs under Embracer Group, the biggest recent titles are stuff like Desperados 3, Shadow Warrior 2, World War Z, Darksiders 3, Wreckfest. Basically just lots of AA stuff.

Azaran, the original games and FMs will not disappear if any new title turns out to be lacklustre. It really is no risk to them.

Why would you not want them to take a zero-risk chance of giving us something great, simply because it might not be? If it isn't great we'll just be in the same position we are in now, having lost nothing. Well that's my perspective anyway!

if i remember correct in the past of thief rights,they were scattered among different company's,so if this deal brings them all to one company would be nice as then another company could at least offer to buy the rights to thief and then build a new game

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    It really is no risk to them.
    It is a huge risk. Now, when the Thief is dead, nobody cares what is going on here. After the new release, the lawyers will inevitably crawl out of their lairs searching for fresh blood and money. Those pests leave only deserts and dry bones behind them.

FKA Buccura
    The best thing would be if they let Nightdive do stuff with the Thief IP.

the only 2 thing i would accept in a new thief game would be a true thief 4 that take place after thief 3,or a prequel to thief 1,showing things like how keepers were formed,who garrett's parents were/etc

anything else would be none conducive of the thief lore

The only thing I'd like to see from Thief as an IP are official re-releases of 1/2 based on the modern source updates and a de-make of 3 in the Dark Engine, using the original audio assets but with T1/2 appropriate levels and so forth. Actually an official remaster of T1/2 by Nightdive, with the same updated-but-faithful-to-the-originals feel of Quake Remastered, and then 3 remade in that engine as well.

Outside of that I'd rather see Arkane or somebody do a new game that's inspired by Thief's gameplay in the same way Dishonored was like a modern take on Deus Ex (and better at it than the actual sequel/prequels). It's annoying that most of my adulthood has been a constant sea of sequels/prequels/spinoffs/reboots instead of new games building on what was great about the old ones (which Arkane has done, but I mean industry-wide).

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Seifert View Post
    The best thing would be if they let Nightdive do stuff with the Thief IP.
    Well, I don't know if that would necessarily be a good idea, they've been a mixed bag. The System Shock reboot (and rerelease of 2...) is completely MIA at this point, and Blood: Fresh Supply dropped the ball heavily. However, their recent Doom64/Quake stuff was pretty good I've heard and I enjoyed the Powerslave update. So... we'd have to see, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    The only thing I'd like to see from Thief as an IP are official re-releases of 1/2 based on the modern source updates and a de-make of 3 in the Dark Engine, using the original audio assets but with T1/2 appropriate levels and so forth. Actually an official remaster of T1/2 by Nightdive, with the same updated-but-faithful-to-the-originals feel of Quake Remastered, and then 3 remade in that engine as well.
    I'd like to see that too, and with added VR support. So many aspects of Thief are perfect for VR.

I wonder if Square Enix/Eidos Montreal gave Embracer Group the source code for Thief II/Dark Engine (or whatever that source code was that was found), or if the community needs to get it to them.

They could make a new Thief game using or leveraging that code, possibly.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    It is a huge risk. Now, when the Thief is dead, nobody cares what is going on here. After the new release, the lawyers will inevitably crawl out of their lairs searching for fresh blood and money. Those pests leave only deserts and dry bones behind them.
    What? All you doomsayers, did Thief 2014 in any way hurt the Thief community or fan missions? Did it even put a dent in it? No.

I'm absoutely up for a new Thief game. Even if like Thief 2014 it doesn't connect to the original trilogy and is a complete travesty storywise, it'll still be a steampunk stealth game. And I like steampunk stealth games, so yes, make another one plz.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    if i remember correct in the past of thief rights,they were scattered among different company's,so if this deal brings them all to one company would be nice as then another company could at least offer to buy the rights to thief and then build a new game
    That was System Shock, not Thief. Eidos Montreal had no trouble making a Thief game due to rights.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    What? All you doomsayers, did Thief 2014 in any way hurt the Thief community or fan missions? Did it even put a dent in it? No.
    Yes, it hurt the community in the sense that it did not contribute to moving fan created content forward in any way. It didn't help it grow or evolve. It brought very little new blood into the community. Can you imagine if Thief 2014 had been a better game with some form of SDK + Level Editor released? Something that the community could have carried forward and built some classic themed Thief missions with? Would have been awesome. Thief 2014 was a decent looking game, so I can imagine building some really cool missions with it...but these could have been populated with classic Thief characters, and if some SDK code shared...perhaps the mechanics of the game tightened /enhanced as well.

In any case...it really didn't help.

Well, games coming with a level editor nowadays is very rare, and those that do only come packaged with games that are shooting for a "retro" style. It's just not done much anymore which is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    Can you imagine if Thief 2014 had been a better game with some form of SDK + Level Editor released?
    How many games like this come out with level editors nowadays though? Not many (if any at all?), I would guess. You might expect something like that from a small indie dev maybe, but the big studios won't spend their time and money on these things anymore. It's just not profitable. Times have changed, and as much as I hate to say it, "mainstream games" these days are meant to be played through once or twice and then forgotten. I doubt that a level editor would have made a big difference, to be honest.

So yeah, Thief 2014 didn't start the reneissance of the Thief series or anything, but like henke pointed out, it didn't hurt the Thief community either. I'm sure that I've seen a couple of people in here who claim that Thief 2014 was their introduction to the series, and they discovered (and fell in love with) the older games because of it. The reboot has pretty much nothing to do with the classic games, and it has some terrible flaws and features that I don't care about, but on its own I think it's quite a decent stealth game. I would be very interested to see a new studio's take on the Thief series.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast