TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: BintoE problems - new version?

  1. #1

    BintoE problems - new version?

    Hello everyone.
    I've tried using Shadowspawn's tool "BintoE" to convert some BIN files to E and then to the 3DS format. However there are some problems like some faces not having the correct texture. (Examples: STRSPOT.BIN and ELECSPO2.BIN from Thief Gold)
    I was able to find a newer version (1.42) in the forums, however that seems to have even more problems in that regard.
    Is there anything I can do to fix that? Or are there any newer versions available? Do other programs exist for this job?

    Thanks and have a nice day.

  2. #2
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: Texas
    I used version 1.35 of bintoe and 1.40 of eto3ds on strspot.bin and the faces turned out correct in Anim8or. Do you have all of the textures that those bin files use in the same folder as bintoe.exe and eto3ds.exe?

  3. #3
    I copied the textures to where the EXE files are but it made no difference. To be clear: The textures are used on the model, it's just that some faces seem to be without texture. From what I saw in the E file, some faces just have wrong texture coordinates (like 0,0).
    I opened the resulting 3DS file in Anim8or and interestingly enough the result seems to be better, but still some parts are missing textures.

    I have no idea why your model seems to be correct. Could you please verify that by opening it here (https://3dviewer.net/) ? Just drag the 3DS file there and after that the necessary textures and see if it looks right.

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: Constantly losing tug o'war
    It could just be that the normals are inverted for some faces and Anim8or is showing the back, whereas other software tends to only show the front. The latter is preferable is it matches what you'd see in game.

  5. #5
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by SunbeamX11 View Post
    I copied the textures to where the EXE files are but it made no difference. To be clear: The textures are used on the model, it's just that some faces seem to be without texture. From what I saw in the E file, some faces just have wrong texture coordinates (like 0,0).
    I opened the resulting 3DS file in Anim8or and interestingly enough the result seems to be better, but still some parts are missing textures.

    I have no idea why your model seems to be correct. Could you please verify that by opening it here (https://3dviewer.net/) ? Just drag the 3DS file there and after that the necessary textures and see if it looks right.
    I tried it with the 3dviewer and it seems that the textures are not showing on the shroud. I have noticed that LGS designed their objects with a rather odd method... by putting 'panels' together to form the exterior of some objects. It may be that some panels were UV mapped on one side, but while being placed backwards they do not show the texture in all viewers.

  6. #6
    So it could be an error within BintoE or just a difficulty of the conversion process or both.

    Thanks for your responses.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •