TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Two Points that have escaped me (Spoilers)

Two Points that have escaped me (Spoilers)

I was poking around in game for the first time in awhile and realized there are two (minor!) points that have escaped me all these years. Maybe someone can explain them to me - or maybe I'm just expecting something that wasn't actually there. These are for T2.

1. In the Pagan village, after going through the portal, you're running around and in one of the houses you find the little girl ghost and she 'gives' you Dewdrop the doll, saying 'she' (dewdrop) hates the Mechanists too.

Ok. Good. Great. You pick up the doll. . .and I always had the impression that SOMETHING should have happened. Maybe the doll. . .I don't know. . .randomly spawns a spirit that helps you take care of the Mechanists in the forest? Gives you hints one is near? Screamed loudly whenever you got too close to a Mech? SOMETHING. I literally spent so long the first few playthroughs trying everything I could think of with that doll and. . .nothing.

Just me? Was something actually supposed to happen here or was I just expecting more than actually existed? (I'm honestly not sure what I actually would WANT. . .I just sort of feel let down that NOTHING seemed to happen at all. lol)

2. In the library of the mansion near the end - where you go to steal the mask - You run across the ghosts in the library. You're supposed to 'help' by finding the missing K-stack and what happened to the woman there. You ultimately find her in the secret room off the library and apparently. . .thats all you needed to do? Sure. Ok.

What I'm curious about is the 'missing stack'. Again - I may be expecting more than what is actually included, but it's always thrown me off a little. Where is the missing stack? Is it the pile of books next to the body? Was something supposed to be important about this stack or was it just. . .part of what you were searching for?

Yes - I get that I'm probably reading too much into both points. . .and probably overthinking the whole thing. But it comes up almost every single time I play - even if I"m just playing an FM. So it's time to get some answers. lol

Although. . .come on. You've got to admit that the doll coming alive and helping in some way would be cool. Especially after the little ghost girl gives it to you.

The doll was supposed to come alive and act like a flashbomb, but I think something in the scripting prevented it from working on time for the game to be shipped. I think there are mods out there that restore this?

i can explain dewdrop,when you have dewdrop in your active items and run across 3 or more mech guys a sprite of dewdrop will appear in the air blinding them like a flash bomb for a short time so you can get away

and dewdrop is a boy

the little girl ghost name is lily and her dad's ghost is birch,don't think they said her mothers name

About the "stack", there's a conversation with the librarian and a guard where the librarian explains "stack" is librarian-jargon for "section of bookcases".
    The "M stacks" is supposed to be a section of bookcases labeled "M", but if you follow the labeled bookcase letters around until you get to "L", you'll find that there is another "L" section next to it where you'd expect "M" to be. After you do the read the books, find the secret passage, destroy the ghost objective, that section is now labeled "M" like it should be and that's where you find the evidence etc.

I just had to go in and play Casing to check into it, cause I never paid that close attention before. It's a bit subtle.

A 'stack' is jargon for a section of the library where the books are (roughly speaking, what somebody might just call a 'shelf' but it could be bigger/smaller than that). In other words the 'M-stack' for this library is the place that holds the books indexed under 'M'. All the shelves in Gervasius's library have a letter marking on the end, and they appear to go in alphabetical order.

Initially, you'll find that the one for M isn't there, and only appears after you follow the
    spoiler:
    ghost's hints
    . It seems to be because some magic was done to hide it, and it wasn't because nobody cared about reading the music books.
    Last edited by Kangra; 12th Jun 2022 at 17:48. Reason: added spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i can explain dewdrop,when you have dewdrop in your active items and run across 3 or more mech guys a sprite of dewdrop will appear in the air blinding them like a flash bomb for a short time so you can get away

and dewdrop is a boy

the little girl ghost name is lily and her dad's ghost is birch,don't think they said her mothers name
    o.O Ok, I'll admit, I did not try a larger group of mechs. I usually tackle them singly or in pairs at most. Now I have to go try this. So happy to hear it DOES do something, though. For some reason this is satisfying. lol Are you sure Dewdrop is a boy? The doll look like a girl. (Typical doll + little dress) Not that it matters, mind you.

About the "stack", there's a conversation with the librarian and a guard where the librarian explains "stack" is librarian-jargon for "section of bookcases".
    The "M stacks" is supposed to be a section of bookcases labeled "M", but if you follow the labeled bookcase letters around until you get to "L", you'll find that there is another "L" section next to it where you'd expect "M" to be. After you do the read the books, find the secret passage, destroy the ghost objective, that section is now labeled "M" like it should be and that's where you find the evidence etc.

I just had to go in and play Casing to check into it, cause I never paid that close attention before. It's a bit subtle.
    Ahhh. Ok. I guess I missed it. I mean, I 'got' it - as in the objectives always ticked off, but I guess I missed the more subtle notes there. THanks for breaking it down for me.

That part might have actually worked better if they had REQUIRED you deal with the ghosts in the first mission, then see a little more of the fall-out/wrap up in the next mission so you get to see a bit more being SAID about it. But that's just me. Maybe they like it being subtle and easy to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Elentari View Post
    o.O Ok, I'll admit, I did not try a larger group of mechs. I usually tackle them singly or in pairs at most. Now I have to go try this. So happy to hear it DOES do something, though. For some reason this is satisfying. lol Are you sure Dewdrop is a boy? The doll look like a girl. (Typical doll + little dress) Not that it matters, mind you.
    You can hear the girl say here "his name's Dewdrop, and he doesn't likes mechanists" (18 seconds in)

But yeah I didn't remember that either for the longest time. And neither did others apparently, so, yeah

ZylonBane
    The Dewdrop object has the script DewDropDoll on it. This is the part that checks when to activate it:
    Code:
    METHOD boolean CheckProtection()
    {
      if ((integer)GetData("Activated")==1)
         return FALSE;
      if (GetCarrier()==(object)0)
         return FALSE;
      if (!Link.AnyExist("~AIAttack",GetCarrier()))
         return FALSE;
      linkset atklinks = Link.GetAll("~AIAttack",GetCarrier());
      integer mechcount=0;
      boolean inrange = FALSE;
      while (atklinks.AnyLinksLeft())
      {
         link curatklink = atklinks.Link();
         if (Object.InheritsFrom(curatklink.To(),"Mechanist"))
         {
            mechcount++;
            Debug.MPrint("Mechanist ",curatklink.To()," found.");
            vector carrierpos = vector(0,0,0);
            vector mechpos = vector(0,0,0);
            carrierpos = Object.Position(GetCarrier());
            mechpos = Object.Position(curatklink.To());
            vector deltapos = carrierpos - mechpos;
            if (deltapos.Magnitude()<10)
            {
               Debug.MPrint("And this one is in range.");
               inrange = TRUE;
            }
         }
         atklinks.NextLink();
      }
      return ((mechcount >= 2) && (inrange));       
    }
    It triggers when three or more mechanists are attacking Garrett, and at least one of them is close to him, and Garrett is actually carrying Dewdrop. The effect will only trigger once. This check is called every three seconds.

ty fen and zylon for verification

healing fruits for all

wait till he finds out about "kevel"

Isn't that two or more mechanists?

I always felt that having a gameplay mechanism attached to Dewdrop deflates its emotional impact.

ZylonBane
    Ah, you're right. It is just two or more.

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    Isn't that two or more mechanists?

I always felt that having a gameplay mechanism attached to Dewdrop deflates its emotional impact.
    it was magic spell put on dewdrop to protect the girl if she was ever in danger so she would have time to run away

Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post
    You can hear the girl say here "his name's Dewdrop, and he doesn't likes mechanists" (18 seconds in)

But yeah I didn't remember that either for the longest time. And neither did others apparently, so, yeah
    The reason why i always thought dewdrop is a girl is because they translated it wrong in german. Only when i played it in english for the first time I found out that dewdrop is a "he". In the german translation they say "Ihr Name ist Dewdrop und sie mag keine Mechanisten". "Ihr" and "sie" is "her" and "she" translated, but apparently they were just referring to the puppet itself. The puppet = die Puppe and "die" is female again

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1 View Post
    die Puppe
    I approve of this idea

Cool, never knew about that Dewdrop functionality.
    When I first played, I thought they'd make it so placing Dewdrop at a certain grave, landmark, or something would trigger a reward or help bring peace/comfort to her or the family in the afterlife (spirits thanking Garrett, for example)