TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bring back Subjeff.

Quote Originally Posted by mxleader View Post
    It's literally the loud assholes that keep things not exactly interesting but exciting.
    Iím not entering the debate about SE, Iím not privy to the details of his ban although I tend to side with June on his behaviour here, but I take exception to this. Assholes do not make things interesting not exciting, assholes usually ruin the place for everyone and theyíre the reason people leave. If you rely on assholes to bring some life to this place, youíve got a serious problem.

Fair debates and disagreements, however lively it gets, these are cool. But thereís a hard line between that and assholes and trolls, and those have no place here and should not be welcome.

BANNED
    I really feel like some people have forgotten what discussion forums are supposed to be about. Once upon a time it was the frank exchange of opinions. These days it seems to increasingly consist of people getting upset because others won't validate their feelings. Freethought has been sacrificed on the altar of dogma, and woe betide you if you blaspheme against any of the new religions.

BANNED
    One person's "free thought" and "frank exchange of opinions" can be another person's "ooh, let's take a shit on this counter here, it'll make this place feel more like a Wild West saloon". Everyone can dress up their side of the debate to look like they're the only ones who are principled and correct, but in the end this is just rhetorics. Putting your position into nice words doesn't make it right. Doesn't make it wrong either, but in and of itself it's pretty much meaningless.

I am very much against free speech absolutism, mainly because I think it's an intellectually dishonest bunch of bullshit. The marketplace of ideas is as much of a fiction as the invisible hand of the market. If someone spouts, and keeps spouting, ignorant, hateful rubbish or argues in bad faith, I'm quite happy to see the last of them. The problem is where people draw the line, and the solution some choose is not drawing a line at all.

In the end, it's for the mods to say how they want to handle it. I'm not one of the most active posters anyway, and the people I want to be in touch with, I have various places where I can be in touch with them. But I know that the time when I was closest to just leaving for greener pastures was around 2016, when the place was full of alt-right twats spouting inanities, and when there was what seemed like no moderation at all. Not because, gasp, I had to listen to opinions other than my own, but because those posts were literally the equivalent of people taking a dump on the counter. I've yet to find any place online that I want to spend any amount of time at that embraces free speech completely (or even just 95-99%). Personally, I think there should be a small number of rules that are as clear as possible, they're enforced strictly but not draconically, and otherwise I'll eventually decide to leave the place to the counter-shitters.

BANNED
    The thing is, nobody has ever called for "free speech absolutism" so that's a straw man from the get go.

I think if you're going to begin to describe something as hateful, let alone legislate against it, then at bare minimum there should be actual hate involved somewhere.

If you ask me, falsely attributing bad faith motivation to people's sincerely held beliefs is pretty hateful. I know it's hurtful when it's been aimed at me, in the same way that any other malicious untruth would be. Do people really think that some of us have nothing better to do than troll communities we've been part of for decades?

BANNED
    If one of your sincerely held beliefs is that old people should get covid and die because they were going to anyway at some point so that you can go outside and breathe into people's faces without a mask in the middle of a pandemic, there is little to no difference between you and any other of the gaggle of numbnuts espousing tiresome and hateful bullshit.

It doesn't matter what your motivations are or how long you've been here, because neither have any bearing on whether you're an asshat or not.

Having said that, you're perfectly free to keep calling for grannicide, but don't be surprised if very few people want to stick around and huff the acrid waft of your faux indignation.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 9th Aug 2022 at 14:26.

falsely attributing bad faith motivation to people's sincerely held beliefs is pretty hateful. I know it's hurtful when it's been aimed at me
    SD, you should never let toxic narcissists know they are succeeding in hurting you. It just causes these sickos to ramp up the venom.

BANNED
    Could we just do a one to one trade between SD and SE?

BANNED
    I wonder, whatever happened to SA, SB and SC, and when will we get to SF?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I wonder, whatever happened to SA, SB and SC, and when will we get to SF?
    If there's a Thief 5, SR needs to be in it

BANNED
    In this thread I learned how "toxic narcissists" and "sickos" are hurting SD's feelings and how keeping assholes around apparently makes things more exciting.

I find it frustrating how the good ones grow exasperated and disappear while the bad ones verbosely persist no matter how thoroughly they're called out on their bullshit. I guess that's where moderation... oh nevermind.

But I guess Tony T disappeared and Sulphur came back, so maybe there's still hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    If one of your sincerely held beliefs is that old people should get covid and die because they were going to anyway at some point so that you can go outside and breathe into people's faces without a mask in the middle of a pandemic, there is little to no difference between you and any other of the gaggle of numbnuts espousing tiresome and hateful bullshit.

It doesn't matter what your motivations are or how long you've been here, because neither have any bearing on whether you're an asshat or not.

Having said that, you're perfectly free to keep calling for grannicide, but don't be surprised if very few people want to stick around and huff the acrid waft of your faux indignation.
    I'm sorry to be so cringe-inducingly earnest, but there are just so many different ways I love this post.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post

Yeah, this sort of outrageous, criminally asinine misrepresentation of a person's views is exactly the kind of needlessly hostile nonsense I was talking about.

Thanks for posting.

BANNED
    Criminally asinine? That's rich.

SD, I lost my dad to covid. He was not disposable. You've written posts that have literally driven me to tears.

But please, do continue lecturing us about all the "twittering" that "might give grannies 3 more months". Then, please, do inform us how someone daring to call you out on that cruel nonsense is "criminally asinine."

If retired boomers think they are at risk, then THEY need to stay inside, get their groceries delivered, spray down their mail with antiseptic liquids, etc.

Governments forcing EVERYONE into lockup was utter lunacy. People need to work, run their businesses, pay bills etc. These absurd lockdowns have had massive economic effects that we're still finding out to this day.

I assume your father stayed home and did all the "expected" precautions but still caught Covid? Then that just shows the "precautions" were not useful, so blaming SD for being a bit skeptical of the precautions is disgusting.

The Covid circus was always about government control, and still is.

BANNED
    Precautions don't work when legions of assholes like you righteously flout them you spectaculary ignorant selfish little shit.

RippedPhreak, as another one who lost my dad to Covid, and (and I’m so sorry to bring this up) considering we just lost one of the most beloved member of TTLG to this fucking thing, I’m gonna be very direct: you can fuck right off with your negationist bullshit. FUCK OFF. You do not get to shit on peoples’s real, devastating losses like this. You do not get to spew your inconsiderate, uninformed drivel over us and get away with it. You fucking bellend. It’s people like you, propagating deadly nonsense like it’s a fucking game, who make the world a worse place to live. Fuck off you damn twat. I hope you never suffer such a loss.

You. Fucking. Cowards. I'm aware I can't say more because of your constant manbaby crying for more "moderation," but yeah.

You spew out your bile and then rely on the mods to ban any response that uses your same language back at you. In order to spare your precious little feewings

Absolute cowards.
    Last edited by RippedPhreak; 10th Aug 2022 at 16:24.

Fuck around, you’ll find out, pal.

How clever. How original.

BANNED
    Ok, that's enough.

I haven't chipped into this thread as this really isn't the place to discuss moderation decisions regarding why and the detailed circumstances about why someone was banned. Ultimately, there always has to be a level of judgement call based on many factors and, in this case, over an extended period of time.

This thread has pretty much derailed itself by this point and I'm closing it for now. However, I will say that we don't ban people that have a difference of opinion - and in many cases people have had issues with us being too light on that front. In general, I think there's a healthy discussion and most people can present arguments without getting into insults.

That's not what's happening here now. It's also certainly not the right thread to have it (or perhaps even the right forum). Take it elsewhere and tone it down, please.

Oops, now I'm banned too...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234