TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: What is your favourite T1/TG mission of all time? (Poll winners)

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Autumn in Lampfire Hills

1 2.08%
  • Calendra's Cistern

10 20.83%
  • The Saint of Redmound

0 0%
  • The Varyx Obelisk

0 0%
  • The Broadsword of Sheol

1 2.08%
  • Trial by Night

0 0%
  • Returning a Favour

3 6.25%
  • Sepulchre of the Sinistal

4 8.33%
  • Augustine's Revenge

1 2.08%
  • Endless Rain

15 31.25%
  • Rose Garden

8 16.67%
  • The Sound of a Burrick in the Room

0 0%
  • Ascend the Dim Valley

5 10.42%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your final favourite T1/TG mission of all time (poll winners)

Your final favourite T1/TG mission of all time (poll winners)

Since it was requested, here is the poll for the final winner of the T1/TG polls.

Important Note: In this poll you can only vote for ONE winner. So choose carefully.
    The missions are sorted by year. This poll will only last till next Sunday. After that the polls for your favourite T2 mission will start, beginning with the year 2000.

This poll was requested and I hope it gives players a bit of time to catch up on all of those good missions before we start with the T2 polls
    Last edited by Samantha1; 13th Aug 2022 at 06:16.

This is going to be so taffing hard to choose....

It's really weird to see Rose Garden and Sound of a Burrick but no Scarlet Cascabel and Lost Among the Forsaken in this poll...

Rose Garden gets my vote.

Burrick is probably the best designed of the lot, but Rose Garden gets the jaded veteran pick; it's a transcendent experience whose warts and wonkiness augment how intense and rewarding the experience of playing it is. It is true T1 glory.

Of the maps not included here, I think Gems of Provenance, or even the original Valley of The Burned/Widow's Ire two-parter deserve consideration. Nobody has captured the T1 mood like StinkyKitty, and the moments and visuals of these maps have stuck with me many years later.

And if you haven't played any or all of these maps, then come on, play them! They're all incredible!

It was clear that this wouldn't be a super easy choice - especially if its not a multiple choice poll - but to me it wasn't too hard, either.

Ultimately, I chose Endless Rain as it was - at the time - a bigger deal than every mission that came after it. It felt more rounded, more complete
    Apart from technical issues with sound back at the time I couldn't find a fault with this mission.

While I think that Rose Garden is at least as good and Sound of a Burrick was on equal footing (and in places even more charming) in the 20-year-contest they weren't too surprising from an "is it possible?" standpoint.
    Yes, there is Calendra's Cistern but while it is great and showed what a fan mission could be it is too much of a rough diamond in some places to sit on the throne. And this isn't a new opinion, even though I replayed all of the listed missions.

Finally, while Sepulchre of the Sinistral is still my favorite crypt mission I will always prefer a city mission of the same quality - perhaps it gives me a more "thiefy" immersion instead of a Tomb Raider one?

So, there: This is my personal top 5 of T1/TG fan missions.
    As far as I'm concerned, every other mission (whether on this list or not) comes below these five - even if it's only a super tiny distance.

If any mission author is reading this:
    Please don't feel criticized in any way - I had an awful lot of fun with all these missions and you all did an awesome job!
    I could never muster the creativity, talent and stamina to produce something like this!

Voted for Sepulchre of the Sinistral, one of the memorable missions of all time, yes the others were brilliant but I'll never forget the first time I played Sepulchre it completely blew me away in a way few other missions have ever done.

And yes the list is not perfect but still the contest has been fun, and guessing T2 contest will throw up even more anomalies.

PS. Is this going to be a race for final glory between Skacky and Melan? What ever missions ended up in the final list Skacky and Melan were probably always going to be in the final running.

It's really weird to see Rose Garden and Sound of a Burrick but no Scarlet Cascabel and Lost Among the Forsaken in this poll...
    You are so right. The scarlet cascabel is my favourite T1/TG mission of all time so for me it´s very painful not to have it here in the final poll Though I gotta say The sound of a burrick in the room is a well deserved winner aswell and it will probably get my vote here.

PS. Is this going to be a race for final glory between Skacky and Melan?
    I´m a big fan of Skacky missions, but I never understood the hype about Melan´s missions. Same with Rose Garden, I tried it two times but couldn´t get into it and was more annoyed than having fun. I do not understand the hype about it.

Thank you for the polls, Samantha. These were enjoyable and I hope they brought some attention to older, perhaps a bit overlooked fan missions. I voted for The Broadsword of Sheol and if I could choose multiple options, I would also vote for Autumn in Lampfire Hills, Calendra's Cistern, and Rose Garden.

Aemanyl, you are very welcome! May I ask what makes you love Broadsword of Sheol so much?

Thank you for asking. Mainly due to its claustrophobic atmosphere of being lost in a secluded underground tomb and quite a few gameplay surprises.

Samantha: I don't know really how to explain it, but for those who love it playing Rose Garden is an immersive experience unlike anything else.

A map like Burrick feels like a perfectly designed video game map that you are meant to play and enjoy. Rose Garden feels like you have been thrown into an unfamiliar city as a real person, and are forced to rely on your own abilities and reconnaissance to survive and succeed. It is not forgiving, but making any progress in this map feels like an achievement beyond what video games can provide. It also has very rich story-telling and visual design.

Yet, it is also fair and consistent; it is not like Elevator Mission or other maps which seems to delight in obscurity. Rose Garden does not hold your hand, but it is not sadistic either.

Melan's first mission was Bad Debts which was huge in its day and is still a masterpiece in the eyes of a lot of players, the first mission to be a vertically challenging city mission that also made with a gritty texture look, and the complexity of making such a mission (city missions are the most difficult to build anyway) with all the interconnected walkways, shafts and tunnels connecting the different buildings raised the bar for authors considerably. Skacky followed in Melan's footsteps with vertically challenging city missions and also arguably raised the bar higher with even more polish on his missions than Melan's missions.

Whether you enjoy these authors missions and their styles or not is always going to be down to personal preference but what is inarguable is the quality of the build which is always 110%

Yes, the vertical challenging gameplay is what I adore. Thieves highway, it makes you feel like you stand over everyone else and enjoy the best view in the world This is what I love about skacky missions or for example a feast of pilgrims, but when I´m half an hour in Melan´s missions I get annoyed. The obscurity is the thing I dislike. I hate this feeling of not knowing where I am, where I was and where I am supposed to go..

In the end it is as you say just a personal preference. The work and quality these missions are build with is astonishing

As much as its cliche.... Calendra's Cistern gets my vote.

Disclaimer tho, i have only played FMs up to 2001 right now, so sadly i havent played more than half the ones on the list!

Quote Originally Posted by BR4ZIL View Post
    i have only played FMs up to 2001 right now
    Dafuq?

Rose Garden gets my vote. Never have I played a mission so engrossing and that trusts players' intelligence at such a level without being incomprehensible or way too obscure. It is incredible in scope and narrative, and despite its few minor problems, is my favorite FM of all time, barely ahead of Disorientation.
    That being said, Ascend the Dim Valley is also insanely good, the Broadsword of Sheol is still the scariest FM ever and while Calendra's Cistern can be a bit weird at times, it is still a classic that paved the way for many, many authors.

Quote Originally Posted by zajazd View Post
    Dafuq?
    Sorry, let me explain, i have been playing them chronologically, but by author, so... for example, i when i first came across Purah's Rothchest's Shadow from 1999, i then played all of Purah's FMs including Calendra's series, then moved into the next author from 1999 and so on.

I am still going through that process and i am up to the 2001 FM/Authors, so a lot of the newer FMs from people that started doing FMs after 2001 i havent gotten through.

I ended up going with Calendra's Cistern, but it was an extremely close call. Rose Garden gets my #2 spot, with Endless Rain in #3, but there is hardly anything separating them. CS was just so groundbreaking for its time. Although it is rougher, it came out 12 years before NewDark and 18 years before anything in the 20TDPAC, so what can you expect. Purah did something truly astonishing with this mission.

You might want this poll to run a bit longer than the others, Samantha. It is only fair to get as many votes in as possible.

i had to go with Augustine's Revenge by bbb as it has a lot of gameplay for the style of thief i like=exploration with story

I have to go with Calendra’s, although it’s also a bit unfair of me to vote as I haven’t even played all of them.

For me Purah is ahead of most authors by somehow being able to create really compelling personalities and scenarios in his fictions. It’s also even darker and more twisted and atmospheric than the original game even managed to be, which is really saying something. Couple this with great city architecture, technical effects and attention to detail/production values and you have something truly special. If you consider when his great missions were released, barely a year or two after the original games, it’s even more impressive.

Now if I go back and play CC I have to admit it doesn’t quite live up to the first time through, as there can be technical bugs, the initial city is quite empty, the layout is linear (not necessarily a bad thing though), conversations may break etc. So perhaps I look back at it with rose coloured glasses somewhat. But for me this was the first fan mission I played which I thought arguably surpassed what the original game managed to achieve. For that alone it holds a special place in my memory.

Not on the list, but Scarlet Cascabel for me

Quote Originally Posted by Spyrano View Post
    Not on the list, but Scarlet Cascabel for me
    In my heart for me aswell

My final favorite T1/TG mission of all time is Mystery Man.

I went with "Returning the Favour" as it accomplishes two things that few of the others do: It feels like a T1/TG mission, and it has withstood the test of time.

As brilliant as "Endless Rain" is, it doesn't feel like a T1/TG mission to me - it has its own unique feeling and presence.

I don't have enough time to play all of these, but out of those that I've played I felt that two are above others: The Sound of a Burrick in the Room and Ascend the Dim Valley. Still, Ascend the Dim Valley is number one for me. It has such unique surroundings and atmosphere is so taffing good!

Other mentions:

Rose Garden is one of best city FMs I've played and I should definitely replay it soon. Autumn in Lampfire Hills was released already back in 1999 and still today it was wondrous experience as I finished it recently. The Broadsword of Sheol has a very unique setting and the feeling of total isolation and also some scary parts. Augustine's Revenge is my favourite one from bbb's FMs. It has a very strong story and gameplay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast