TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New TG FM -- Reminiscences Sep 17 2022

New TG FM -- Reminiscences Sep 17 2022

Last edited by moldybread; 18th Sep 2022 at 10:14. Reason: dark.cfg

One of the best (and most divisive) TG mappers returns!

thank you for release,downloading now

i liked the missions

the last one was my favorite
    Last edited by downwinder; 17th Sep 2022 at 20:25.

First of all, thanks for releasing a new FM a week prior to the New Dark Contest, nice warm-up.
    I gave it a quick view, you are definitely an outstanding mapper out there, I liked all the maps of this little campaign of micro missions. So I took that campaign as a teaser of maps, not of gameplay. In except of the "dog"/forest mission, all other maps seemed complete. In summary, there was an escape from an attacked burning scyscraper (yes, that reference was pretty concrete for me), a lovely ship micro mission, a lighthouse, a manor and a map with a surprisingly deep well.
    Sadly said gameplay wasn´t my personal cup of tea. Every one of them required forced ghosting, there was no player inventory in any mission.
    So I wish these missions would be polished up and released again.

You forgot to package dark.cfg so the second mission has a ton of disappearing objects.

How do you finish the second mission? I either keep drowning or killed by invisible archers.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    You forgot to package dark.cfg so the second mission has a ton of disappearing objects.
    Can this just be added to the zip archive to fix the issue..?

Is this the Elevator Mission guy or Spoonman? Indeed, a very dividing experience, however, it was stunning to see one of the most tastefully and well-proportioned done pirate ships, the deserted mini island and the overall great atmosphere, architecture.

nevermind, I found in the readme: it's Spoonman.
    Last edited by ticky; 18th Sep 2022 at 10:03.

While this set of missions had a couple of very great moments, I think the focus and the thinking of the author changed a lot since the beginning.

Remember the first missions of the author, mostly for T2, from 2005-2007?

The Broken Hammers was quite nice, with readables and story that made sense. Same goes for Heretics and pagans, which had a nice landscape and also good custom AI.

Remember The Lost Crusade back in 2007? It was a not superpolished, but a very well done mission with a uniqute atmosphere and a lovely setting of a daylight, lively small port town with tastefully placed ambient sounds. The tomb area was supernice as well, and the readables had actual stories, made sense, there were actual story and actual characters.

Then something might have happened, because since the truly disturbing Upwards Spiral (2018), penis-shaped swimming pools, (real life) mass killer manifestos in readables, dumb bad language (stupid, short readables all about feces, semen, blood, masturbation and any other similar references) and little to no story/plot took the lead, while the architecture became super-polished compared to The Lost Crusade. As for gameplay, in certain missions since 2018, supersensitive enemies outnumbering the player make it as non-Thiefy as possible. Very weird and unique. I don't know if the author seeks attention with this "rebellious" language used in the readables and objective texts, but I must add - it doesn't make these "new era" Spoonman missions much better for me.

One thing's for sure: I don't wanna disturb artistic freedom and ways of expression here, but I wanted to highlight some actually weird and a bit disturbing elements of these missions.
    Last edited by ticky; 18th Sep 2022 at 10:26.

That is fascinating. I only played Spoonman's missions since The Upwards Spiral (2018). I wasn't aware his earlier mission weren't as idiosyncratic. Wonder what happened that prompted the change.

Top release of 2022 so far.

In Shiver Me Timbers (on Expert), I don't know what to do in the red tunnels outside the ship which are presumably supposed to be the innards of some creature. I have the matches you can throw and a barrel of gunpowder. I've tried blowing up the large blue crystal heart (if that's what it is), and the red spider, and the small watery hole at the end of a downward sloping tunnel. In every case nothing happens and the mission does not end.

OK, for anyone else stuck here, you have to explode the barrel of dynamite beside the giant blue crystal, nothing much seems to change but you then have to proceed to the small watery hole at the end of the downward sloping tunnel, and the mission will end.
    Last edited by Marbrien; 19th Sep 2022 at 12:35.

What am I supposed to do in the 2nd mission? I mean, what is the goal?

Ok, found: Take a key from the corpse hanging from the mast. Why? No idea. What happened next? End of the mission.
    Last edited by A.Stahl; 19th Sep 2022 at 14:17.

Mission 3. Where is Tony? I was everywhere and I can't find him. I also used his toy everywhere, but it didn't help. I also noticed that I can hear some AI, but I can't see them. Is this a bug?

Edit: All right, I think it was a bug. I downloaded dark.cfg from Bracelet of Melody and finally rest of objects showed up. Plus AIs are visible. But even with this I can't still find Tony.

Edit 2: Nevermind, I found him and finished this mission.
    Last edited by Galaer; 19th Sep 2022 at 18:20.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    While this set of missions had a couple of very great moments, I think the focus and the thinking of the author changed a lot since the beginning.

Remember the first missions of the author, mostly for T2, from 2005-2007?

The Broken Hammers was quite nice, with readables and story that made sense. Same goes for Heretics and pagans, which had a nice landscape and also good custom AI.

Remember The Lost Crusade back in 2007? It was a not superpolished, but a very well done mission with a uniqute atmosphere and a lovely setting of a daylight, lively small port town with tastefully placed ambient sounds. The tomb area was supernice as well, and the readables had actual stories, made sense, there were actual story and actual characters.

Then something might have happened, because since the truly disturbing Upwards Spiral (2018), penis-shaped swimming pools, (real life) mass killer manifestos in readables, dumb bad language (stupid, short readables all about feces, semen, blood, masturbation and any other similar references) and little to no story/plot took the lead, while the architecture became super-polished compared to The Lost Crusade. As for gameplay, in certain missions since 2018, supersensitive enemies outnumbering the player make it as non-Thiefy as possible. Very weird and unique. I don't know if the author seeks attention with this "rebellious" language used in the readables and objective texts, but I must add - it doesn't make these "new era" Spoonman missions much better for me.

One thing's for sure: I don't wanna disturb artistic freedom and ways of expression here, but I wanted to highlight some actually weird and a bit disturbing elements of these missions.
    I recall his excellent Dark Mod mission Full Moon Fever. After that his missions began shifting towards more eerie, labyrinthine and plot-light experiences: TDM FMs Ravine (which I like) and King of the Mountain (I have mixed feelings about that), and that trend continued in his recent Thief Gold affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    Edit 2: Nevermind, I found him and finished this mission.
    Is he hidden? I've made a few circles through the forest but never saw anything Tony-alike except the dead burrick.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    Is he hidden? I've made a few circles through the forest but never saw anything Tony-alike except the dead burrick.
    So you saw him.

hello party people :3

where is the last coin in the mission with the big skeleton? (end of the line) :3

Mission 4. What do do in red cave? I brought explosive barrel and tried to explode water hole and big blue crystal, but it didn't work.

The crystal stops glowing after the explosion. He will not be rly destroyed. After this.. the water hole is the exit :3

Thanks, that's really cryptic.

the first Crayman mission was fun, if simple.
    the pirate ship missions were both very frustrating, with forced ghosting and unclear objectives. I couldn't finish the second one, so I skipped it.
    the forest mission was very pretty, but too big to not provide a map of some kind - and something more of interest to find. I was not happy to find Tony was a dead burrick.
    Now I'm on Childhood's End and I have to find a golden hammer, but can't investigate properly with all these people. I found a sword above the fireplace but don't want to use it... edit: it seems some violence is necessary.
    the lighthouse mission is nice, but the objectives don't change when conditions do, leaving me feeling lost as to what to do. (Just flip the switch at the top and climb up for a strange ending).
    the well mission... is beautiful, but empty. There is no reason to stop and take in any of the little vignettes the author set up. At least until it isn't empty on the long way back up, but you have no tools - and even walking through water doesn't phase the fire monsters Also, the objectives include modern slang never associated with Garrett or Thief or even this mission so far, and which some may find representative of offensive stereotypes
    Last edited by MrMunkeepants; 23rd Sep 2022 at 01:08.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    the first Crayman mission was fun, if simple.
    the pirate ship missions were both very frustrating, with forced ghosting and unclear objectives. I couldn't finish the second one, so I skipped it.
    the forest mission was very pretty, but too big to not provide a map of some kind - and something more of interest to find. I was not happy to find Tony was a dead burrick.
    Now I'm on Childhood's End and I have to find a golden hammer, but can't investigate properly with all these people. I found a sword above the fireplace but don't want to use it... edit: it seems some violence is necessary.
    the lighthouse mission is nice, but the objectives don't change when conditions do, leaving me feeling lost as to what to do. (Just flip the switch at the top and climb up for a strange ending).
    the well mission... is beautiful, but empty. There is no reason to stop and take in any of the little vignettes the author set up. At least until it isn't empty on the long way back up, but you have no tools - and even walking through water doesn't phase the fire monsters Also, the objectives include modern slang never associated with Garrett or Thief or even this mission so far, and which some may find representative of offensive stereotypes
    Well, that was a really polite way to describe a mission series all about school shootings, blood, feces, semen, masturbation, and other unique and unorthodox topics from a Thief universe perspective.

spoiler:
    Is there a blackjack on the second mission?

I have no idea what am I supposed to do.
    spoiler:
    I triggered the fight and i have a key from a thief but I cannot open a blue chest on the mainfloor of the boat in a bedroom and also i cannot open the metal double doors near where I started.
    Last edited by dedaki; 24th Sep 2022 at 12:53.

It's a bit sad these FMs are built the way they are. The architecture is really good but just can't make up for the lack of a proper story and gameplay

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett TMT View Post
    hello party people :3

where is the last coin in the mission with the big skeleton? (end of the line) :3
    I'm also curious about this.

Quote Originally Posted by dedaki View Post
    I have no idea what am I supposed to do.
    spoiler:
    I triggered the fight and i have a key from a thief but I cannot open a blue chest on the mainfloor of the boat in a bedroom and also i cannot open the metal double doors near where I started.
    You must go up on board, climb up the ladder where you can see a hanged thief VERY high above. He has a key, take it and the mission will be completed soon.
    Last edited by Taylor; 24th Sep 2022 at 16:58.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast