TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: RTX Remix for Ray-Tracing in Thief? :D

RTX Remix for Ray-Tracing in Thief? :D

Video of RTX Remix used to make up-scaled ray-tracing in Morrowind.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Med-uB52jWI

I would love to see this type of effect in the Thief Series. Especially now since we already have excellent HD Texture Mods and amazing up-scaled cut scenes. I think such an effect would be perfect for Thief if the Dark Engine is compatible. Thief 3 Deadly Shadows might be the easiest one to implement since its using the Unreal 2 engine?

Not sure how it would affect stealth/visibility game mechanics. I would suspect it would be purely cosmetic and would follow the original game lighting/shadows system. ex) I can imagine a scenario where you visually appear to be fully "lit up" because of a ray-traced light beam bouncing off a wall but your light gem visibility indicator is completely dark.

Please discuss the possibilities.
    Thank you in advance.

Easily Remaster Classic Games with NVIDIA RTX Remix
    (New Video footage and slightly more details information on the multiple steps used to apply RTX to older games, such as Morrowind)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg52-HZhrFc

hello.
    somehow i missed this. as i am currently modding Thief 3 render (moving to DX9, updating shaders etc) i am really interested in possibilities. as you have already observed modding T3 may be the easiest (older Thiefs material system is rather limited even using New Dark) but you need to remember its not really Unreal 2 engine - it was highly modified: it is using custom renderer (with per pixel lighting and volumetric shadows) as well as many custom file formats. what is good: current material system allows to pass many textures per material which could make rather easy to achieve PBR-like rendering. Generally a lot of work would be needed (in terms of creating textures, modifying materials or even objects) but final goal is sure worth it. As you already noticed impact on gameplay may be significant. currently in game ambient ilumination is used to correct rather unrealistic lighting propagation system (ex radiosity). i think that some game binary editing may be needed to fix this (and thia gonna be tough challenge)

I was just about to come and gush about this. As a complete novice when it comes to modding I couldn't say how viable it is, but it does look extremely powerful.
    The thought of thief 3 or Deus Ex invisible War with realistic material properties is very tantalising, not to.mention the potential for improving the models within both games.

Promising, but the card's cost is prohibitive, it will retail for $1600

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Promising, but the card's cost is prohibitive, it will retail for $1600
    What "the" card are you talking about? No card has been mentioned in this thread, nor in the linked videos.

this would be amazing for thief 1/g ,would be cool to see how a.i. does those gritty graphics also forest/maw area's

i saw video very cool

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    What "the" card are you talking about? No card has been mentioned in this thread, nor in the linked videos.
    I believe Azaran is referring to the upcoming nvidia 4000 series graphics cards which are indeed crazy expensive MSRP.

But it is my preliminary understanding is that ray-tracing is available on all "RTX" capable cards and possibly the upcoming Intel Arc graphics cards. The current nvidia 3000 and last gen 2000 series cards do include ray-tracing cores, hence RTX. The nvidia 1600 and 1000 series and lower do not include ray-tracing cores, hence GTX.

For instance I am running an "older" RTX 2060 Ti and it can run Cyberpunk 2077 with ray-tracing fairly well (40-50 fps mostly max settings) with DLSS 2.0 enabled. I usually just turn off the ray-tracing but keep DLSS 2.0 enabled for the significant framerate boost (70-90 fps same mostly max settings). I tried to run Cyberpunk 2077 on a GTX 1660 Ti and it doesn't not allow for ray-tracing. I don't remember the framerate here, it was probably bad.

* I think DLSS 3.0 is limited to the upcoming nvidia RTX 4000 series which seems like a much bigger improvement and framerate boost compared to DLSS 2.0 when using it with ray tracing.

I'm curious how older Dark Engine games like Thief1,G,2, SS2, and the "unreal 2 engine" Thief 3S would run with potential RTX Remix mods and the HD Texture Mods. I'm currently running those games with their respective HD Texture mods and the now standard user upgrades (DarkMod etc.) on an actually old nvidia GTX 660m and they run smooth like butter still after all these years and no repaste.

I suspect Unreal engine based games like Deus Ex and even Thi4f would be easier to implement RTX Remix just because the Dark Engine is so obscure. Morrowind used the Gamebryo engine which was also used by many more games than the Dark Engine.

Article Links:

DLSS 3 is exclusive to the RTX 40-series but older GPUs still benefit
    https://www.pcgamer.com/dlss-3-on-older-GPUs/

Nvidia RTX 40-series to deliver 'up to 2–3 times increase in ray tracing' performance
    https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-rtx-4...g-performance/

Nvidia's new modding tools will add ray tracing to almost anything, even Morrowind
    https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-rtx-remix/

Nvidia DLSS 3.0 only works on GeForce RTX 4000 GPUs
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/dlss...ement-rtx-4000

Thi4f is DX10/11 though. RTX Remix seems to only be available for DirectX 8 and 9 games. With NewDark supporting D3D9 and seemingly bringing lots of stability improvements to the renderer, I have fairly high hopes for Thief and SS2 with RTX Remix.

I hope that running games modded with RTX Remix doesn't require to log into some kind of NVIDIA portal.

I wonder how do they deal with light maps? I presume, light maps would have to be disabled, for the new lighting model to work. But is there a unified way of doing that? Or would some low-level render code changes/hooks be required? I know that vfig was doing that kind of magic for his project, but I don't think this is something Remix tools can easily automate.

Also, I wonder how is the light gem calculations performed in (New)Dark engine. Does it take lightmaps into account, or simply line-of-sight checks with surrounding lights?

its gonna only base on intercepted API calls so other techniques may be needed to achieve expected results (like editing maps for example). It would be important how original programmers implemented graphic pipeline (ex. if they used some hacks or unusual solutions) - thus will determine RTX modding possibilities
    @all Based on these articles you need RTX card to create mods but only VK raytracing compatibile cards to play these.

In a way Thief would be the perfect candidate for ray tracing because light is such an integral part of the gameplay, but I think that makes it also much harder to use nvidias tool to accomplish this. I have a feeling that ray tracing could only really be done well inside newdark.

But oddly enough I actually really like Thief's original look, especially Thief 1. These dark, highly compressed, low-res textures, combined with the pure white light and the low poly straight models and architecture... there is something surreal about it, but something that takes me to a different place. I don't know, maybe it's because I grew up with these graphics, but to me most modern games lost something when it comes to graphics. Maybe they look too real?

Game remixes can be interesting though, and Thief with RT could definitely be interesting!. Just look at this piece of art they made out of the original Doom (no RT here though):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m65I6cUEUo&t=216s

It's intense, sounds and looks good, but still keeps an original atmosphere. Needless to say Doom is of course the polar opposite of Thief...