TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief on RTX (Nvidia RTX Remix announcement)

Thief on RTX (Nvidia RTX Remix announcement)

Hi everyone,

Recently I came across this new development from NVIDIA, which in my opinion, is one of the most impressive things I've seen from them.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...-announcement/

What is generally says, is that it can provide old games, with DirectX8 and above, a wrapper than can apply ray-tracing to the generated image.
    Not only that, but also due to AI improvements it can do many more...

Basically the list is huge:

- Embed ray-tracing
    - Create additional lights
    - Modify texture properties (to look well for reflections),
    - AI texture upscaling
    - AI model rounding(?),
    - Post-processing (bloom / fog)
    - DLSS
    - Latency improvements

Now I know that NewDark actually converts Thief to a DirectX9 game, so probably it could be a great candidate for the RTX treatment.
    Of course the downside would be that it would only be available to RTX cards, and I am not sure how fan-missions would be affected by that.
    It could be that it enhances them immensely (Rocksbourg 3 comes as an example), or destroys them completely...

Does anyone have opinions on the topic? Would it be feasible/good for Thief in generall, or it joes does not work?...

Hello,
    There are not many details regarding RTX Remix compatibility etc but this looks interesting - i have seen this 4 days ago and since this time looked for more details. As i have experience in DLL hooks and API wrapping I have rather realistic view regarding possibilities, pros and cons etc. You need understand that A LOT of manual work will be needed to make this game beautiful. AI processing is used, but you need to perform many manual steps to have PBR like materials (these games has not even normal mapping implemented which is IMO the main issue); in order to have realistic light behavior you need to have really good material description and multiple textures are needed to achieve this (like diffuse/albedo map, normal, specular/gloss etc). Great efford would be needed and many people needs to be involved, but its achievable i think. There are few more things like for example You need to consider how new lighting system will affect gameplay (like light gem behavior etc).

Did no one see my earlier thread about this?

I even included a video where they used RTX Remix on Morrowind (after multiple steps of course) and asked about the new RTX lighting effects potential on affecting game play (i.e. light gem behavior etc.).

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151897

Did I post it incorrectly?

hello
    indeed i didnt see it. mods please merge i will post there

Dont we need nvidia to support the game in RTX remix first..? Itried it and it failed a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Dont we need nvidia to support the game in RTX remix first..? Itried it and it failed a while back.
    Well its seems to be working now, gonna have a fiddle, brb...

So I cant figure how to get rtx-remix to enable path tracing in the game, any ideas?...
    Last edited by Bikerdude; 22nd May 2023 at 14:57.

Hi All,

So I have been hanging out on the RTX Remix discord trying to get my head around how this works.
    Is there a way to completely disable shaders? I can get SS2 to boot but it cannot find the render camera and same goes for Thief2 both using NewDark.
    I checked the ss2 log file and shows the following Shaders -
    : ERROR: cD8Effect_ScreenDistort: CreatePixelShader failed: error -2005530516: error
    : ERROR: cD8Effect_ScreenDistort: CreatePixelShader failed: error -2005530516: error
    : ERROR: cD8Effect_FakeDOF: CreatePixelShader failed: error -2005530516: error
    : ERROR: cD8Effect_Blur2pass: CreatePixelShader failed: error -2005530516: error
    : ERROR: cD8Effect_PostProcess: CreatePixelShader 1 failed: error -2005530516: error
    If there is a way to completetly turn these off then I might... make some progress... maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    So I cant figure how to get rtx-remix to enable path tracing in the game, any ideas?...
    It doesn't enable. Not sure if this is NewDark engine related, or whether it requires a future Remix version.

I need to understand how hardware mode and software mode work. At the moment RTX cannot capture any data and I think this is due to the frontend UI and the game rendering in 2 different planes.

Welp NuDark support DirectX9 - https://www.thiefmissions.com/newdark.html

- so we should be able to get RtxRemix working with it....

I discovered this video two days ago and came across the following page at the same time:

https://www.thiefguild.com/fanmissio...hief-2-rtx-mod

Unfortunately, I don't know how the author managed that either...

Static shots dont mean anything unfortunatly, its either video or it never happened.

Thief 2 - RTX Remix Runtime Version 0.1.1

I haven't tried it but I just noticed it in the following list:
    https://www.moddb.com/rtx?filter=t&rtxversion=2

Looks like it is 1 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Thief 2 - RTX Remix Runtime Version 0.1.1

I haven't tried it but I just noticed it in the following list:
    https://www.moddb.com/rtx?filter=t&rtxversion=2

Looks like it is 1 year old...
    Wow after reading your post i just downloaded Nvidia Omniverse Launcher and set it up how they tell you to https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/rtx-remix/ and i got to say I'm blown away with how good the graphics look in Thief Gold and Thief 2 including Fan Missions i recommend anyone to anyone who plays these 2 games to do the same if you have the capable hardware also works with RTX HDR Filter if you have a HDR Monitor now I'm going to have to restart both games and fan missions because it looks so good but in case your wondering if you have to do the same no you don't it works with old save games as well. I only downloaded the above rtx.conf file for Thief 2 The Metal Age and replaced the one in Thief 2 games directory that Nvidia RTX Remix made after running the game once with Remix as for Thief Gold i just used the rtx.conf that Remix created.
    Last edited by morgan; 19th Apr 2024 at 05:43.

I like the potential of this, but the video overdoes the reflections IMO. For me, an RTX do-over of Thief would ideally be relatively subtle. However: since the first two Thief games work so much with baked-in lighting and especially shadows, isn't this a clear limitation? Is there a point in RTX-style lighting, if one aspect of the game's lighting, shadows, is much more closely intertwined with the game's systems and therefore a purely cosmetic do-over would be pretty limited?