TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Such a shame there wasn't enough interest to attempt some community modding tools.

Such a shame there wasn't enough interest to attempt some community modding tools.

I was just thinking about all the wasted potential in the game. It's certainly a nice looking game...and there is certainly a decent enough foundation to work from.

Such a shame the developers locked it down so tight and didn't put the effort into releasing a level editor...or even a limited SDK.

I often wondered if the community could have found a way to reverse engineer the core files and open it up a little more. Would have been interesting to see if the core game could have been expanded for a better Thief experience.

It's a shame indeed, but that's how most of the big studios work these days. I can't think of any modern FPS or a similar game that comes with a proper level editor. I suppose it would take quite a lot of effort from the studio to deliver such an editor, and I doubt that many people would be interested. Games today aren't supposed to last anyway or meant to be replayed time after time. You complete a game, maybe give it one more play through, and then you forget it and move on to the next game. Of course there are exceptions, as always.

But yeah, it's a nice thought. With some tweaks Thi4f could have been a foundation for something great indeed. But since they never even released any more DLC after the Bank Heist mission, I guess it's clear that Squeenix had no further plans for the game. The Bank Heist was such a good mission though, better than most of the missions in the actual game. I would have been happy to pay a few bucks for more missions like that.

FKA Buccura
    It's something of a miracle we got tools for TDS, and that was when level editors were still somewhat common in PC games.

That will always be the biggest tragedy of Thief 4, how it really wasn't as far as some people think from being something special. Sadly, it will never reach that potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Seifert View Post
    It's something of a miracle we got tools for TDS, and that was when level editors were still somewhat common in PC games.
    Yes, the TDS editor was a gift to the community. A single programmer tasked with decoupling it from the Ion Storm internal server dependencies and if I recall, secretly tested by GBM. That relationship with the community was completely lacking with Eidos Montreal. Their community management or lack of community management completely destroyed any sense of connection to the new Thief game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post

But yeah, it's a nice thought. With some tweaks Thi4f could have been a foundation for something great indeed. But since they never even released any more DLC after the Bank Heist mission, I guess it's clear that Squeenix had no further plans for the game. The Bank Heist was such a good mission though, better than most of the missions in the actual game. I would have been happy to pay a few bucks for more missions like that.
    Truly could have been something great had the community been able to make some adjustments. Even leaving some settings open in the config files like the devs did with TDS would have done wonders.

I agree, an opportunity to make some minor tweaks would have been welcome, and would have made Thi4f more accessible for more people. However I think that without new content the game would have been forgotten in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    I agree, an opportunity to make some minor tweaks would have been welcome, and would have made Thi4f more accessible for more people. However I think that without new content the game would have been forgotten in any case.

The core game was very forgettable to be sure. With fan made missions designed to play more like the originals, it could have had a longer life. Shame Eidos Montreal wasn't invested in making something memorable.

I bet it has a lot to do with the tools being more of a spaghetti inter-dependent mess, PLUS licensing issues with that said mess
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Quote Originally Posted by Komag View Post
    I bet it has a lot to do with the tools being more of a spaghetti inter-dependent mess, PLUS licensing issues with that said mess
    I recall reading a Thief 2014 related article years ago that said it would essentially require planning from day 1 to put their development together in such a way that it could later be decoupled and made available in some form. Considering that Square Enix / Eidos Montreal held a modding competition which included not only all the official Thief Games but welcomed Dark Mod missions as well, it's baffling that there wasn't more thought and care put into making at least a bare bones level editor available. Then again, looking at the care and attention that went into the game...perhaps not so baffling. lol

Thinking outside the box, as T4 is based on a version of the unreal engine, would it be even possible to import all the maps/assets into the latest (and free to non-commercial) unreal engine..? Or did Eidos make sure that door was also firmly blocked?

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    Considering that Square Enix / Eidos Montreal held a modding competition which included not only all the official Thief Games but welcomed Dark Mod missions as well
    I remember that contest, it was the strangest thing at the time. Did they ever release any kind of results?