TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: "Thump" sound

"Thump" sound

Hi!

I play the french version of Thief : The Dark Project because I really like the french voices.

However, when I threw an unconscious body or a corpse on the floor, there's no "thump" sound (Body impact sound on the floor, don't know if it makes sense...) like in Thief Gold and Thief 2. Feels weird, there's no sound...

Is there a way to implement that sound through a mod or something else like adding that sound in the CRF?
    Last edited by Stefan_Key; 17th Nov 2022 at 11:40.

Do you have Thief Gold (TG)? If this is the case, you should be able to extract the sounds you need from that, and put them in the right directory/folder in the Thief: Dark Project (TDP) installation.

To do so, look for a file called SND.CRF in the TG installation. It should either be in the main directory of TG, or it may be in the RES directory of the TG installation.

Extract the contents of SND.CRF into a newly created directory on your hard disc. Any program that can extract .ZIP files should be able to extract the contents, since a .CRF file is just a renamed .ZIP file. If the extractor you use does not recognize that, try to copy the SND.CRF into the newly created directory, rename it to SND.ZIP in this directory, and try to extract it.

Once you have everything extracted, create a directory called snd in the main directory of the TDP installation. Inside this new directory, create another directory called SFX.

Go back to the directory to where you extracted the contents of SND.CRF. This directory also has a SFX directory. Go into this one.

The following files might contain the "Thump" sounds you need: collaps1.wav, collaps2.wav, ..., collaps6.wav; hstoear.wav, hstoear2.wav. Copy all of these files into the newly created snd\SFX directory in your TDP installation. It is not necessary to overwrite any files, but it should not hurt either.

Start TDP and check whether the game now has its "Thump" sounds. (A sudden headache epidemy among Garrett's enemies is acceptable at this point.)

If everything works, delete the directory to which you extracted the SND.CRF file. Leave the snd\SFX directories in TDP. There is no need to put the extracted sounds into a .CRF file of TDP.

By the way, if you would like to turn an english version of Thief Gold into one which has most english content translated to French, check out the following web site: http://www.dxm.be/navigator.php5?lang=en. Back up (or copy) your existing TG installation to another place before trying that conversion/patch program, just in case something goes wrong.

I do have the Thief Gold discs.

Thank you for your precise explanation, baeuchlein!!!

It works! What a joy to hear the sweet sound of bodies hitting/collapsing on the floor! in OMs as well in FMs.

I've noticed a small folder named tgpatch in my TDP directory. There's a snd.crf, amongst other CRFs, that is small and a few of Wav inside.

Now that I have the new snd folder in the main directory, will it deactivate the snd.crf that is in the tgpatch folder in some way?
    Last edited by Stefan_Key; 20th Nov 2022 at 19:07.

I don't think it will deactivate anything. In theory, a few sounds that are in the new snd folder could have higher priority than some of the files in any snd.crf in your TDP directories, and if the ones in the new snd folder/directory sound different than the ones in a snd.crf, the ones in the snd folder would be heard instead. But in that case you would also note that the appropriate sounds in TG sounded different than the "same" ones in TDP.

Also, I did a bit of testing by replacing the files that are now copied to your snd directory with a Haunt's chain rattling. As I expected, I heard that rattling everytime I dropped a body or used the Blackjack successfully on the heads of any AI in range, but I did not hear it anywhere else where it did not belong. Therefore, I'm fairly sure you will not notice any change other than the one you want: "Thump" instead of silence.

If anything goes wrong, we can still try some other solutions to the problem.

It's working like a charm!

I can't remember where is the tgpatch folder (with CRFs inside) coming from? Maybe from TFix so you can play Thief Gold FMs? can't remember....

Anyways, for you, just to know what is inside :

Main folder TDP --> tgpatch --> books.crf, Fam.crf, Mesh.crf, Motions.crf, Obj.crf, snd.crf, Strings.crf

When unzipping snd.crf :

snd --> sfx --> belles.wav, ChoirLo.wav, WTR_MD1.WAV, WTR_MD2.WAV, WTR_MD3.WAV, Wtr_md4.wav, WTR__SM1.WAV, WTR__SM2.WAV, WTR__SM3.WAV

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_Key View Post
    I can't remember where is the tgpatch folder (with CRFs inside) coming from? Maybe from TFix so you can play Thief Gold FMs? can't remember....
    The tgpatch folder could have been added by TFix, but I think its origins are much older. Back in the ancient dark times, when only DarkLoader was available as FM loader, and when there was no NewDark, some players only had TDP, and some fan missions made for Thief Gold would have various problems when played with TDP and without some TG resources. Therefore, someone created a small patch that added the most important resources that were missing if playing with TDP instead of TG. And most likely, that tgpatch folder comes from that patch, either by applying the patch to a TDP installation manually, or by having TFix add the patch automatically.