TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Getting random Tutorial messages in FMs

Getting random Tutorial messages in FMs

Anyone else been plagued by this?

Playing some FMs lately, and at random times I get what I now recognize as tutorial "help" comments in the game (text messages that pop up on the screen). Also, Garrett will make some random comment like "This corridor is too well lit, I need to douse that torch" and it won't have any correlation to what's on screen at the time.

Anyone else seeing this?

I don't know much about FM making, but it looks like most authors don't add new phrases but substitute the old ones. And the engine in many cases is clever enough to use default resources if it can't find the new.

I suppose your FM archive is damaged.

Something like this often happens when one installs/upgrades Thief 2 with T2Fix and selects "English subtitles" in "Select Components" under "Mod". Unfortunately, some FMs use the same file names for their own sound effects as the original game does for several comments of Garrett. T2 NewDark does confuse these files and displays the subtitles for the original game while the FM's sound effects play, then.

I am not sure whether one can currently deinstall these subtitles by starting T2Fix again and de-selecting "English subtitles". If that is not possible, go into the game folder/directory and look for a folder named "subtitles". Rename it to something else, like "t2_subtitles" or whatever you like. Then, try one of the FMs again where the problem occurs. It should be gone now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do remember picking that option, and I am 99% sure these 2 authors used a ton of "stock" stuff and subbed their own.

That's got to be it, and makes complete sense.

Going to reinstall from scratch and see what happens then.

Will let you know if it works. Ty!

No need to reinstall from scratch, AFAIK. Just rename the subtitles folder, that shoud do the trick.

It's not a problem. Only takes a minute or two. My keybindings are fairly simple and memorized...

So far so good. I've played one little fan mission that took about 20 mins to complete. I'll give it a proper test in the near future and replay one or both of the missions that were giving me issues.

We'll see.

I'm about 30 minutes into Rowena's Curse and no tutorial captions so far, and no random Garrett VOs either. Bet that fixed it.