TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New T2FM - A Visit To The Baron [02/02/2023]

New T2FM - A Visit To The Baron [02/02/2023]

This is my third FM for Thief2 - A Visit To The Baron.

This mission is part of my campaign Dark Age Memories - Life of a Thief, but the action takes place way before the events in A Tough Night and Into The Dark Forest, so you don't need to play those missions before this to understand what is happening. Just read Garrett's Journal in your inventory at start. It contains all the story lines and all you need to know in order to play this mission.

Important: This mission is for Thief2 The Metal Age. T2Fix_1.27d or newer is required. This mission was built in New Dark 1.27 version.

DESCRIPTION:

This is a large mission who requires between 3 and 4 hours of play. Do not expect to finish it quick. The action takes place in a castle in the mountains. It was inspired by the Mount Saint-Michel and his bay in Normandy, France.

SCREENSHOTS:

https://ibb.co/j8jGk3j
    https://ibb.co/4pCnR6h
    https://ibb.co/4JWBzRx
    https://ibb.co/L5ymCtf
    https://ibb.co/nDf7XBg
    https://ibb.co/Pwbm8Lp
    https://ibb.co/xzMKbmc
    https://ibb.co/ZhD97gY
    https://ibb.co/8j0dqBr

DOWNLOAD: (188MB.zip file, 285 MB uncompressed)
    Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nT5...usp=share_link

Taffers Paradise: https://www.taffersparadise.co.uk/th...aron_v1.04.zip
    Last edited by Master of Dromed; 2nd Feb 2023 at 13:09. Reason: Added download link to the mission

Nice, downloading :-)

thank you so much m of dromed, downloading now ,will update when i play or need help :P

Congratulations on the release, looking forward to playing it!

Downloading. Thanks!

heh..with all the petty Lords and Ladies in the Thief metaverse.. Im surprised this hasn't been done til now.... should be interesting..

It will be interesting to compare this with Zontik's Monastery of St. Karras in the "Patriot" campaign, which is also a recreation of the Mont-Saint-Michel.

need one bit of help where is ballsey? in prison? i completed everything else i love the exploration in this mission

Sweet and thank you! Something to help us through these long, cold winter nights!!

Ballsy is in the catacombs beneath the castle. It's a dungeon full of zombies. Maybe you missed it.. the entrance is from the basement of the castle.

thanks

mission complete loot= 6835/7215,,,1/3 secrets,,,,,12/12 pockets picked,,,,2 hours 38 min to complete on expert

loved the art/exploration,yes i found dewdrop with healing fruit

one question, in factory area there is a mold form holder that highlights, is there a mold anywhere to use it?

a tip for those stuck on masks there is i think 5 in castle in different locations one i think had 3 then 2 other areas with 1 each i think

alsolove how the crown looked made me think of three crowns mission by bbb

great job, maybe next time add a few music players and a bit of npc conversation's
    Last edited by downwinder; 3rd Feb 2023 at 16:24.

FM for Thief2
    Hurray!

Made with Thief 1 resources and style
    Grrrr!

downwinder: the mold form holder is only for decorative purposes so no, there is no mold for it

loved the layout of the village and the castle exterior. fully expected lots of frame dropping in the big open areas, but i saw little to none.

didnt love the maze-like layout of the sewers, factory, and catacombs (edit: i suppose for the last of these it is thematically appropriate) — kept getting lost and going in circles. (made worse by accidentally picking up a compass early on that replaced the familiar and easy to read star shaped compass with the hard to read small circular one )

hated all the semitransparent curtains and windows that let noise go everywhere, and that made it hard for me see through doorways while guards could see me right through them from a long distance away.

the lich death explosion is a bit over the top! it outright killed me from full health, twice, and one of those times the explosion also killed josh and/or ballsy, somehow causing me to fail the "dont kill anyone objective".

anyway, problems aside, a good loot crawl mission with some really great outdoor architecture!
    Last edited by vfig; 3rd Feb 2023 at 11:08.

Well, I quit.

I am mostly quite patient with T1 missions albeit I don't like their aesthetics but this looks like mocking:

1) Technically it is T2 FM. But the textures look like they are even worse than those from T1 (Not sure why. Overbright, maybe?).

2) Mazes. Mazey mazes. The only area that I saw that didn't bring any negative was the outside. It was strange and logically unrealistic but at least you can see where you are.

3) Semitransparent curtains in the doorframes. They don't even look like curtains.

4) Navigation is impossible.

5) Rather strange architecture. Those bedroom rooms with huge windows looking into other rooms are... perplexing at least.

Well, I hope your next FM will be more "standard"

Pretty harsh.
    There's some genuinely cool looking areas here, but the flow could use some work.
    I still haven't finished yet, but I like a lot of the strange architectural choices.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    Well, I quit.

I am mostly quite patient with T1 missions albeit I don't like their aesthetics but this looks like mocking:

1) Technically it is T2 FM. But the textures look like they are even worse than those from T1 (Not sure why. Overbright, maybe?).

2) Mazes. Mazey mazes. The only area that I saw that didn't bring any negative was the outside. It was strange and logically unrealistic but at least you can see where you are.

3) Semitransparent curtains in the doorframes. They don't even look like curtains.

4) Navigation is impossible.

5) Rather strange architecture. Those bedroom rooms with huge windows looking into other rooms are... perplexing at least.

Well, I hope your next FM will be more "standard"
    A.Stahl

"Zeikerd"

Grtzzz T-Linkz

I am going to be sure to dive into this, for what you described it sounds VERY interesting to explore this... regardless of architectural choices I like when its a little bit chaotic in the sense of "The Sword" vibes.

Congratulations and thank you for such a surprise release, I will post my thoughts later once I have played it through, today I just lack that free time to spend 6-8 hours but I will find the time to enjoying this weekend.

anyone find all 3 secrets i got 1 by start once you go up ladder there is a area close by with a switch/button to open a wall panel i think just loot i seen quite a few area's where i think there might be secrets, but never found anymore

let me know if you find the other 2

Finished on Expert, 2 hours 40 minutes.

My review, spoilers ahead:

Pros:

+ Beautiful and well-designed outside area. Loved the cemetery and multiple civilian houses I could get into.
    + Exploring the catacombs was a sheer pleasure. In my opinion, this is the best section of the mission. The skeleton and the lich were a nice surprise.
    + In general, the attention to detail is tremendous. It is clear that a lot of work went into designing the baron's monstrous castle.
    + The lack of annoying key hunts or puzzles. The objectives weren't too difficult, either.
    + I liked the variety of new colourful skins and objects.

Cons:

- The whole level is simply too big and given the confusing, maze-like design, navigation is very difficult. This is only my opinion, but I think the mission would have been much more enjoyable if you had scrapped approximately 20% of the factory, 30% of the castle, and left the catacombs as they are. This would have allowed you to improve the flow of the mission.
    - Many parts of the castle don't make sense in terms of architecture.
    - Though I enjoyed some of the readables in the factory and the presence of female necromancers/vampires, the story overall didn't captivate me. Fetching the body of Ballsy was just a chore and I couldn't connect emotionally to most of the personal stories presented in the readables. Plus, the texts could use some proofreading.
    - As it has already been said, I didn't like the semi-transparent curtains.

Score: 8/10

Playing at Expert difficulty, and I got everything but the masks.

Can I get a more detailed inventory than 3 locations in the castle?

It's kind of hard, given that I don't know how many masks I have, because they just disappear into my loot.

I know there's two mask holders high up in the castle that I clearly got two of them from... but where are the rest?

- prjames

I'm afraid I can relate to several points A. Stahl mentioned, and to almost everything Aemanyl wrote. Overly labyrinthic main areas, non-convincing architecture. The rooms frequently were too small for the amount of furniture squeezed into them. For me, the large windows in the sleeping rooms weren't the worst, but rather the toilets without doors, and sometimes with transparent curtains. Public viewing may be nice for sports events, but not if you're emptying your entrails while everyone else is watching.

The sheer amount of what the author built is notable, but unfortunately, size is not everything. I also did not find many interesting aspects concerning gameplay or story. The crown I found rather by accident in a room with almost no guards nearby.

Finally, I came to a kind of arrow trap in the Catacombs, but with explosive arrows. I found no way around that and thus gave up. It's quite possible that the mission would have been better beyond that point, but my motivation was gone, unfortunately.

Anyone who really liked the maze-like layout of the author's former two missions, "A Tough Night" and "Into the Dark Forest", will probably enjoy this mission a lot, though.

By the way, two objects in the game behaved strangely. A Knife (4373) hovered in the air when I dropped it. I could also throw things just through that knife. A Tall Pan (4382) instead blocked a doorway almost completely when dropped in it and hovering there. I almost found no way around it, which would have meant that I would have been forced to reload. Both objects could not be thrown away from the inventory either.

ohh also i found a ship compass in mission=usable as compass for player, very cool thing to help with direction, also later in mission i saw another one but not frobable i wondered if i would have missed first one if the second one would have been possible to get?

the opera guy is so epic how he was on one of the dock i just chilled by him and let him prattle on

and those dracula girls omg how the memory's came flooding back to dracula series

and i liked the see through curtains a lot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast