TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: anyone excited/dreading the show?

anyone excited/dreading the show?

idk if its gonna be the next "the last of us hbo (heard it was good)", or the next "halo (whatever it was on, heard it was bad)", but amazon is currently making a fallout tv series.

(off topic but tangental, peacock is also making a twisted metal series, and idk how i feel about the way it looks)

Level 10,000 achieved
    This is the first I'm hearing about it.

The IMDB page has cast & crew and a few photos. Created by Jonathan Nolan, who co-wrote a lot of his brother Christopher's movies, as well as created TV shows Westwood and Person Of Interest. Hmm... it might turn out ok.

FKA Buccura
    Honestly I don't know how I am feeling about it, considering I haven't seen anything that substantial yet. I'll have more of an opinion once they drop a trailer and I get an idea on what the story is gonna be about.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...out-first-look

"Max serves the giant, seemingly robotic figure of his master with the same naive faith that Lucy has in her Vault Dwellers. But unlike her, he has a cynical sense of self-preservation that leads him to not always behave honorably or heroically. “One of the things we're trying to gently sidestep here is that kind of binary thinking, like, ‘They’re the good guys, or the bad guys,’” Nolan says. “Whoever the good guys and the bad guys were, they destroyed the whole world. So now we’re in a much more gray area.”

Chakat sex pillow

Okay, here's the problem: you can either have a satire, or a drama, but not both at the same time. I like Jonathan Nolan, Person of Interest was a good show, and Westworld had potential... for exactly one season. There's something inherently messy to Westworld because it wasn't ever clear on what it wanted to do as a show overall, and even ended up doing a take on Foundation's premise at one point. I'm seeing similar fault lines in this trailer, but that's possibly just a premature analysis.

I'll tell you one thing though, having Todd Howard's name in this trailer instills the opposite of confidence in me.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I think...

that...

looks...

great.

I'M GONNA WATCH IT!

"From the studio behind The Boys and free 2-day shipping"

wow

I'm a big fan of the Fallout games, but, I couldn't care less about the series. Just another cookie cutter Hollywood woke/whatever crap that's not worth a second of my time.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's intriguing how people use 'woke' as a universal container for 'shit I don't like, probably women'. At this point, it's only useful as a marker for the person using it being a sad manchild.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    It's intriguing how people use 'woke' as a universal container for 'shit I don't like, probably women'. At this point, it's only useful as a marker for the person using it being a sad manchild.
    This comment says a lot about you, and very little to nothing about the people you think you talk about.

Chakat sex pillow
    I hope it does, in fact.

Yeah, Sulphur is a hoopy frood.

I love the FO universe but my expectations are low, low. I think I was hyped for the Witcher TV series and was shocked by how cheap it typically looked, and when it did in fact manage to be lively as in the monster hunter scenes it felt like an interminable cut scene from a video game (of course it did))

FKA Buccura
    Hope it's at least better than Halo.

I'm about as anti-woke as a person can be, and what I've seen doesn't look woke to me. I'm really looking forward to the show. I'm sure there are going to be things I don't like about it, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like they've done a fine job.

2 episodes in and i really like it.

I just watched Tim Cain's take on it, he really liked it too. He's met Nolan and he's played all the games and is a big fan. It shows.

What i like the least is the squire, but i don't hate him, not thus far.

and no, amazingly enough it's not woke, not yet at least. it can absolutely be the good old bait and switch where S2 is instead going all in with it, time will tell.

I just binge-watched season 1 and have to say I loved it! Especially loved seeing Dogmeat! Looking forward to season 2.

Level 10,000 achieved
    -You can’t treat people like this!
    -Why not?
    -Because of the Golden Rule!
    -Wasteland’s got its own golden rule: thou shalt get sidetracked by bullshit every goddamn time.

That line really felt like it was written by someone who’s well familiar with the games.

Yeah, and it's lines like that that made me quit watching after three episodes, just too silly and gamey, not my style unfortunately.

To be fair, Fallout has always been pretty silly and gamey. I think the showed nailed its vibe and tone.

Yeah, you're right, I can't blame it really. I guess I felt it was TOO faithful to the game, lol

Chakat sex pillow
    Fallout's always been silly and gamey, but also pretty damn sharp if you subtract the Bethesda games and spin-offs. The show's not particularly smart, but it's managed to be fairly good to decent nonetheless because there's some zip and character to its various diversions, and the writers know (mostly) how to keep things trundling along. I'm still a little irritated that they're using FO4's aesthetic of the world being a scrapyard theme park, but I had fun watching it. There's a solid foundation to its goofy edginess, and it works divorced from the games, which is I think the better way to experience it - else I'd be nitpicking it to fucking death.

Brethren
    I'm very much enjoying the show for what it is, really feels true to the games for me. And while I dig the games, I'm not some NMA fanatic, so it's all fine AFAIC.

EXCEPT in Episode 2, when they incinerated the puppy! I was completely horrified and had to take a second to collect myself. Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I'm still a little irritated that they're using FO4's aesthetic of the world being a scrapyard theme park, but I had fun watching it.
    You know what? I love Fallout 4's scrapyard theme park aesthetic. I fired it up recently because of the update, and damn if it doesn't feel good to play in a way that 3 and New Vegas don't. I'm still slogging through NV trying to convince myself that I like it, but secretly I'm longing to just abandon it and have fun shooting things in a colourful wasteland with an interesting landmark every 10 steps.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, NV definitely has a lot of trudging in it that I'm not a big fan of. On the other hand, FO4's need to just make a fun world while giving the actual worldbuilding short shrift means that it skews too much to the side of disposable near-braindead action game for me, which combined with Bethesda's poor to inconsistent writing chops is not the reason why I play Fallout. It's a good shootin' game, but that's not really what I want out of the series; I'd like more of the satire and pointed commentary instead, so if it means dragging my feet through the Mojave, I'm okay with that as long as it's not a relentlessly boring experience with no payoff like, say, Desert Bus.