TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Aging Community

I am happy to be part of this community. No matter what period of life or times I went through, the good old TTLG forums was always there, as the discussion board of the most trusted, most peaceful piece of my universe, the THIEF UNIVERSE. I was in the last two years of elementary school when I first played Bafford's mansion, and fan missions were always there for a good old moment of peace in this world. They were there in the background throughout the whole high school, universities. I even remember that I played The Black Frog after my very first weekend of my first actual job. Or I played Mission X each August when I had enough of the summer vibes, and just started to prepare of the more preferred, more Thiefy, more chilly part of the year with some good old snowy mission.

The community and the fan missions were always there and I just find it even more and more valuable as time passes - and indeed, as some valuable members of our community already passed, maybe to add Naks to the list, who was the author of Snobs. Especially Thief Gold and Thief 2 fan missions have a timeless vibe for me, they just describe my universe in the best possible way. I am 37 years old and I really do hope that I can discover and download some new FMs even after my 50th.

Thank you for the touching thoughts everyone and keep up the good work, the good discussion!

I agree, this is an awesome community and glad to have been a part of it. Last several years, I haven't had much time to play FMs anymore, but I think it's time to break them out again.

i only discovered thief in the mid 2010s because of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU

but i never found out about the existence of fan missions or even this forum until very recently (just a few years ago). it's an alien feeling to read posts that come before even my own birth- but all things come to an end, right?

@exoticweiner that video is fairly well balanced - I like the ZeroPunctuation video on it too. link> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQqcFtvFtno

...Some grumpy grumblings about the aching back and hardships of life...

But we're still alive. It is a good thing, I guess. The closed source of the engine is holding back our community from expanding. We really should try to rewrite the engine, make it free (as in freedom, not as in free beer): that'll surely add a second breath to the City.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    ...Some grumpy grumblings about the aching back and hardships of life...

But we're still alive. It is a good thing, I guess. The closed source of the engine is holding back our community from expanding. We really should try to rewrite the engine, make it free (as in freedom, not as in free beer): that'll surely add a second breath to the City.
    There's been a lot of talk over the source code over the years and I think at this point nobody really knows who has the code or if it is even accessible. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Honestly though, I think fan mission makers have done some incredible things with what is available. Also, what would fan missions play like if people went in and changed the very soul of the engine? Would mission really be any better if some limitations were removed? It would be cool to see the source code released someday but I feel that it is this mysterious and elusive thing much like the bow upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by mxleader View Post
    I feel that it is this mysterious and elusive thing much like the bow upgrade.
    That's because I have it and I'm not giving it to any one

We'll steal it, then. We're trained in this, you know.

if people went in and changed the very soul of the engine?
    Nah, just play with code to get the similar way of lighting plus a few tricks with sound. And the "soul" it is.

But imagine what we could add? Normal inventory. Normal extension system. Get rid of DirectDraw. Opmisations. We could even teach guards to swim!

The biggest difficulty is backward compatibility. It would be a real shame to lose all the FM heritage we already have.

Nah, just play with code to get the similar way of lighting plus a few tricks with sound. And the "soul" it is.

But imagine what we could add? Normal inventory. Normal extension system. Get rid of DirectDraw. Opmisations. We could even teach guards to swim!

The biggest difficulty is backward compatibility. It would be a real shame to lose all the FM heritage we already have.
    If the source code were made available I would want machine guns and rocket launchers.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    dewdrop keeps me young
    Me too! I know you're a fan of Dewdrop also. I even made a puppet of her long time ago and I'm só grateful that many FM builders sometimes, wel mostly, make Dewdrop appear in a mission. Sometimes I know it's meant for me. I can even see it in some scrolls, factories a.s.o. I love it, when this happens!
    Lately I'm replaying a lot of FM's, some from a long time ago, but it strikes me everytime to find out that I betatested some of them, and while seeing my name as a tester in the afterscript, I always have to pink a tear away. I wish my children could see this. Only some of my grandchildren are interested in the Thief game. Well, You'll got stuck with me!!!

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

If the source code were made available I would want machine guns and rocket launchers.
    I disagree, sorry! Then it wouldn't be a Thief game anymore, but more of a common nowadays game. I would skip it then.
    I love the arrows, the sword an blackjack and all of those "simple" stuff you can pick up in a game.
    Please never change that!!!

There are lots of other games to play with those guns a.s.o.
    Please let the Thief game as it is! it's proven through all these years to be a solid extraordinairy game with a forum that has last for more than 20 years!

Last edited by Gloria Creep; 8th Aug 2023 at 18:57. Reason: I wanted to add something
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    I disagree, sorry! Then it wouldn't be a Thief game anymore, but more of a common nowadays game. I would skip it then.
    I love the arrows, the sword an blackjack and all of those "simple" stuff you can pick up in a game.
    Please never change that!!!

There are lots of other games to play with those guns a.s.o.
    Please let the Thief game as it is! it's proven through all these years to be a solid extraordinairy game with a forum that has last for more than 20 years!

That was a joke. I forgot to add the

I wouldn't want to change the weapons unless there was a bow upgrade.

We really should try to rewrite the engine, make it free (as in freedom, not as in free beer): that'll surely add a second breath to the City.
    There is one guy trying to do exact same thing: https://dtf.ru/gamedev/1981737-reliz...-na-force-tech

Brethren
    @Kamlorn - I can't read that page because it's in Russian, but it looks like it's the project page for Dark Engine Viewer. That's definitely not a project that's trying to rewrite the dark engine, it's just a utility to view some of the existing resources for Dark (like models, animations, map layouts, etc).

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150408

Welp, maybe that's a big word. This is the DEV, but it is based on so called Force Tech game engine.
    https://forcesw.com/

Brethren
    Ah, I didn't realize the scope of his project was much bigger than just a resource viewer. To be fair, Force's page here on TTLG for Dark Viewer doesn't even mention that they're trying to create something that will replace the Dark Engine. Well, I wish them good luck on the project, sounds like a huge task to undertake.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhern View Post
    Whenever the nostalgia bug hits I go to the section in the missions by category sticky. I am greatful that the admins liked my suggestion for this
    Special Category:- In Memoriam

Gone but not Forgotten: Beloved authors and their missions."in memory"

link> https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=1#post2475681

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by exoticweiner View Post
    i only discovered thief in the mid 2010s because of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU

but i never found out about the existence of fan missions or even this forum until very recently (just a few years ago). it's an alien feeling to read posts that come before even my own birth- but all things come to an end, right?
    I'm in agreement with this statement! Let the Thief game be as it was intended. The new version would get lost in the jungle of all of these newer games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    Me too! I know you're a fan of Dewdrop also. I even made a puppet of her long time ago and I'm só grateful that many FM builders sometimes, wel mostly, make Dewdrop appear in a mission. Sometimes I know it's meant for me. I can even see it in some scrolls, factories a.s.o. I love it, when this happens!
    Lately I'm replaying a lot of FM's, some from a long time ago, but it strikes me everytime to find out that I betatested some of them, and while seeing my name as a tester in the afterscript, I always have to pink a tear away. I wish my children could see this. Only some of my grandchildren are interested in the Thief game. Well, You'll got stuck with me!!!

That's nuts, if my grandma played games I'd so jump into the chance to share it with her! Unless, of course, most of them aren't really gamers.

Been playing for a looong time and ain'T going away !
    Keep the missions coming !
    I may be blind But I found my way

I've been playing, longer than joining the forums. I'm astonished that 19 years have gone since joining. Not to mention that excellent missions are still coming out after playing without any long breaks from Thief. Although at 50 arthritis has settled in and use a brace when playing now. lol ✌️
    Where is Quince and Jacow?

22 years, just on this account.. I think it's my 3rd, if I had to guess. I think the first one was started in 2000. I don't think I knew about TTLG until then.. and I had one at the Eidos forums, so let's just say 23 years total. My, how the time flies.

I feel the losses more and more poignantly over the years. As I get older, it seems all too frequently that someone I know is no longer around. It's just sad. :-(

I'm only 53, but feel much older. Too many problems. Long gaming sessions are almost non-existent anymore, what with all the stuff going on in the real world. Compound that problem with sciatica and nerve damage and carpal tunnel symptoms... it's a wonder I get anything done.

Starting in June every year, my wife starts needing me to help with her decorating schemes. Whatever she needs built, fixed, or put together, I try to help when I can. And we stay busy from mid-year till about mid-December. But then I usually have tons of free time from then till early Spring when things need to be planted or tended outside. It's a neverending cycle of commitment.

Lady R has to be the one I miss the most that has passed on; I didn't really know the others at all. And I sure do miss the ones that have moved on from here, although some have been returning.

Enough self-pitying, I gotta get ready for work..

I'll just say, you folks are the greatest bunch of 2nd-home taffers on the internet. Always have been, hope you always will be. Maybe one day I'll find the time to construct a real mission and release it. I've got ideas, I just need the time..

Quote Originally Posted by Hit Deity View Post
    Lady R has to be the one I miss the most that has passed on; I didn't really know the others at all. And I sure do miss the ones that have moved on from here, although some have been returning.
    Wanna mention, just yesterday I was searchinf up on Seven Sisters on the dromed discord after my yearly replay, and came across a very pretty half review, half rememberance of your talks with Rowena. It was nice to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Kubrick View Post
    Wanna mention, just yesterday I was searchinf up on Seven Sisters on the dromed discord after my yearly replay, and came across a very pretty half review, half rememberance of your talks with Rowena. It was nice to read.
    Thanks. I really wish I had saved my emails between us. It would have been an even nicer trip down memory lane, although more bittersweet as well, surely.

I have tried to dredge up as many memories of our discussions as I can. My memory for things like that is pretty terrible, so it's not easy..

I still haven't given up on building my FM I've been banging on since about 2006 that ties in with hers. It was always a plan/dream of mine, but too many obstacles in RL keep getting in the way. My wife is most likely going to have to undergo a pancreatic operation during the first of the upcoming year (still waiting to talk to the oncologist to get the surgery scheduled), so once again Unfortunate Events rear their ugly head. Gotta stay positive that we will get through this as well.

Take care..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast