TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Aging Community

Our Aging Community

No, this isn't a title to a FM, silly taffers. I was running through all of BBB's missions lately, and for some reason, it just hit me. Another one gone. Call it melancholy, reflective, your own mortality coming into play. I know, such is life, and that's how life is. We all go and pass on eventually. It just seems like we've lost our fair share of taffers in recent years, BBB, ffox, Lady Rowena, fett, TheBlackMan, and Ms.Ledd. and I'm sure there is more, and forgive me for not mentioning someone, if you know of someone that has passed.

I know we've all felt it, we're an aging community, still here after all these years. Some people come and go in our lives, such is life. Many of us are still here, and will continue to be here. But the constant in all our lives is TTLG. I hope it's around for more years to come. And many more taffers can carry the torch, and keep TTLG alive and well, and Thief alive as well.

I'm grateful for the people here, to be a part of such a wonderful place, to call many of you friends. I'm grateful for you all, and TTLG. I just had to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading.

~BA
    Last edited by BrokenArts; 19th Jun 2023 at 13:56. Reason: clairity

I wish I could know more about those people who are not with us anymore. Maybe a website or at least a single webpage to commemorate them. But I understand that it should be pretty hard to make, especially given that not only it needs to be designed, programmed and tested, but it should also display some information about them which is not always easy to find.

Somebody made a little RIP mission for fallen taffers many years back....something like "dedicated to ttlg".

I've always fantasized about a write up about the community but I'm too much of a newcomer. Marbleman would be great, if we go by his FM Retrospective. A glimpse into the people that make FMs would be a big part of it. And not only for posterity's sake: there's something really fascinating about people that are +40 today that have been gamers for so long. Gaming is much more common now, but isn't a story like Lady Rowena's fascinating? Let me quote Flavio, her son:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Varrick View Post
    Lady Rowena would have turned 70 today!
    You don’t know much about her, I can tell you something more so her work that you appreciate so much will have even more value.
    Lady Rowena's real name is Adriana, she was Italian and she was born in 1950.
    He stopped studying at the age of 14/15 without having a diploma, he obtained it by studying self-taught when he was about 27 years old!
    She was 17 when she escaped from a boarding school in Venice and went to Rome where she started attending the world of painters, in 1968 she met her lifelong partner Aldo who was 19 years older than her!
    In 1969 their only son Flavio was born… me!

Mom and Dad both painted and lived by selling their paintings. It was not easy, the money was scarce but they were two creatives, they would never have done "normal" jobs.

Adriana as well as painting played the guitar and sang, she learned English (always self-taught) to translate the lyrics of the songs and also to understand the instruction manuals of the various recorders, effects, mixers and everything else needed to play well. sample and record.
    Everything that was technologically new became a new passion, the first approach to the world of video games was PONG, then he bought the first PC almost as if it were an accessory to record music.

Little by little the passion for video games took over, then the editor and so Lady Rowena was born.

The last few years have been difficult because Aldo was ill. This forum, you all were very important to her, was the only escape from the sad reality, here she could express her creativity and have fun.

The one who managed to entertain and excite you was a lady born in 1950, who studied alone, learned English, to use a PC, to program etc. without any preparation.
    Adriana was shy and reserved,
    She would never have told you these things. I hope he doesn't get mad at me! I think it is right that you know because knowing you will appreciate his work more and maybe some of you will become a little less shy, so you will achieve more in life. I am proud of my mother but I can no longer tell her.

Excuse me if I made some mistakes in English, I'm much less good than Adriana! Thank you all.
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150855&

That's an astonishing route to becoming such a strong voice as a mission author. The sensibility of her missions is unparalled, the way she treats female characters and complicated romances feels so much like how I imagine a sophisticated italian woman of the 20th century fully into arts would live those things; that's impossible to immitate and it's one of the reasons her missions stand strong as powerful works of art. The world of FMs has made people jump from modders to full game devs, and I love those people and the things they've created. But dromed can be turned into a powerful platform of artistic expression in a way AAA games can't. Lady Rowena's FMs are a promise of what gaming could be but isn't most of the time. And that's directly related to her age and life story.

Here's another little relevant thread:

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142707&
    Last edited by Kubrick; 19th Jun 2023 at 16:37.

this is a good time to mention i idea i had, i know there is a current contest going now, but maybe next contest there can be a contest for those we lost called "in the style of" basically create a mission in the style of a lost fan mission author

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=1#post2475681

^here is list i am sure there is more, but i think anyone who is passed or been gone for over 10+ years

what do you all think of that idea?

an example would be we all love lady rowena missions and bbb missions so why not have a contest to make a mission in there style can be anyone who is passed/etc as in jis

can be a ordinal idea in the style of or maybe a continuation of a series they had going "snobs 3" hint hint/etc

It is life, unfortunately. This community is one of the greatest in gaming. All those who passed away left an amazing legacy. they will be remembered for a long time. And thank you for posting this.

I totally agree. This is the greatest community.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    this is a good time to mention i idea i had, i know there is a current contest going now, but maybe next contest there can be a contest for those we lost called "in the style of" basically create a mission in the style of a lost fan mission author

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=1#post2475681

^here is list i am sure there is more, but i think anyone who is passed or been gone for over 10+ years

what do you all think of that idea?

an example would be we all love lady rowena missions and bbb missions so why not have a contest to make a mission in there style can be anyone who is passed/etc as in jis

can be a ordinal idea in the style of or maybe a continuation of a series they had going "snobs 3" hint hint/etc
    I'd love to see direct continuations rather than "in the style of", since I'm dead set convinced it'd be impossible to imitate, say, Lady Rowena. But it'd be incredible to see a community effort (even if it's like two authors) that continue for example the cliffhanger at Home Sweet Home, infiltrating the estate through the farmacy, which is where the only mission we got from her ends...

edit: holy hell, freddyfox was born in 1937!! That blows my mind. They were the same age my oldest grandfather was!

Hey BA (Its GenPlastro from Fen's streams)!

Dont be sad! Very few gaming communities get to even live long enough for comments such as yours to exist, the fact Thief Fan Mission making managed to be a multi-generational endeavor is already a testament to its longevity.

And to the taffers that are no longer with us, not only their memory live with those that knew them, but even the new blood will get to know them through their immortal works and posts here in TTLG!

I was 26 when I first played Thief and 28 when I joined TTLG. Now I'm 50 (51 in July). As long as there is a never ending supply of new FM's and a computer that will play them I will keep going until something catastrophic stops me.

Here's to yours (and mine) long lives , you bunch of taffers.

The first thing I thought when I finished Home Sweet Home (Lady Rowena) was "I can't live not knowing how this ends." And then I thought what a wonderful tribute it would be if there was a contest to see who could create the best finale to the story.

I'm 68 and I get your sense that everyone is aging out. I'm just a rabid fan and sometime lurker in the forums, but believe me when I say, y'all have been my biggest mental health aid in the rigors of RL for more years than I care to mention. I always feel a pang when these great creators fall away.

Quote Originally Posted by mxleader View Post
    I was 26 when I first played Thief and 28 when I joined TTLG. Now I'm 50 (51 in July). As long as there is a never ending supply of new FM's and a computer that will play them I will keep going until something catastrophic stops me.
    I first played thief the day it was released in Canada. I agree that with the never ending FM supply, and having computers available to play them I will also keep going. Only death will stop me...
    Best thief 2014 review : "Thiaf (2014) - this game wouldn't be worth your money even if it shipped with a brewery and a brothel."

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArts View Post
    No, this isn't a title to a FM, silly taffers. I was running through all of BBB's missions lately, and for some reason, it just hit me. Another one gone. Call it melancholy, reflective, your own mortality coming into play. I know, such is life, and that's how life is. We all go and pass on eventually. It just seems like we've lost our fair share of taffers in recent years, BBB, ffox, Lady Rowena, fett, TheBlackMan, and Ms.Ledd. and I'm sure there is more, and forgive me for not mentioning someone, if you know of someone that has passed.

I know we've all felt it, we're an aging community, still here after all these years. Some people come and go in our lives, such is life. Many of us are still here, and will continue to be here. But the constant in all our lives is TTLG. I hope it's around for more years to come. And many more taffers can carry the torch, and keep TTLG alive and well, and Thief alive as well.

I'm grateful for the people here, to be a part of such a wonderful place, to call many of you friends. I'm grateful for you all, and TTLG. I just had to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading.

~BA
    I know what you mean BrokenArts. Lady Rowena, the Blackman and others who passed were my friend in RL throughthis wonderful Thief game, As long as I will last, I'll stay here, with my second family, you all! Thanks for being my friend through all of these 25 years of pure joy in plaing the original mission, but especcialy the Fan Missions. It's time to say to all my Thief family members: I love you all, just for being my friends! I also miss those Taffers and great FM makers, but I always will keep them in my memory, the Blackman with his guitar and Lady Rowena, with which I talked to online a lot. I will never forget any of them and I often replay their fanmissions.

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

dewdrop keeps me young

I turned 32 this year (I was still a kid when T1 & T2 were released!), been present on the French forum then TTLG nearly since the beginning and I still enjoy playing all of these gems

The older I get the more I enjoy and appreciate fan missions, they have become my happy place where I can escape from the real life and its problems. I see them as tiny virtual worlds where I can relax. I even enjoy the lower quality missions of the early 2000s. In the last few years I have been mainly playing just a few games - fan missions, the Trials games and The Last of Us multiplayer Survivors mode which is 4 on 4 stealth action. Lately I have been giving the second chance to missions that pissed me off when I was younger and I find that I have more patience now, despite having much less free time, and in many cases I complete them and rate them highly (I have my own rating system and I enter my rating in the comments field for filtering purpose).

Yeah, you all are a bunch of old farts now aint ya

and here's me in my 20 still hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    Yeah, you all are a bunch of old farts now aint ya

and here's me in my 20 still hahaha.
    So you had an account created here when you were born...

dont forget garrett fav vintage is aged for a long time, most all items that mean anything in thief are old in lore

I was 15 when I released my first fan mission in 2001 which is wild to think about. I have this community to thank for my career.

I want to quote everybody, I won't do that. Thank you all that posted, most of us have been here for years, we all get nostalgic at some point. Even if you haven't been here years, you're here now. It's to remember, and honor past and present, whether you made FM's or not. TTLG will always hold a special place to all of us. It's still here after all these years. I didn't think I'd still be here, to be honest, yet I am, and so are you. I do love the idea of having a contest and finishing Home Sweet Home. Thank you all again for posting!

I didn't intend to feel sad when I opened the FM section today, but here we are...

I haven't really been an active part of this community since around 2004-2005 when the official unofficial Thief IRC channel stopped being a thing, I think, but I still spend time with those games on a yearly basis and I still remember this place and the people from it.

I actually still dearly miss my friends from back then, since we talked and talked a lot on a daily basis and now I've lost any form of contact with practically all of them. I actually still keep a folder of 20-something-year-old photos of a lot of those friends and would look at them occasionally and wonder where they are now and what they are up to. I hope for the best and well, life rolls on and on, but it's still nice to have those memories.

Whenever the nostalgia bug hits I go to the section in the missions by category sticky. I am greatful that the admins liked my suggestion for this
    Special Category:- In Memoriam

Gone but not Forgotten: Beloved authors and their missions."in memory"

link> https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=1#post2475681

Quote Originally Posted by HipBreaker View Post
    I was 15 when I released my first fan mission in 2001 which is wild to think about. I have this community to thank for my career.
    Wow, I don't think I ever realized how young you were, well done man!

I echo the other sentiments here - good to see longtime folks still around, miss the ones who are not.
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast