TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Shalebridge Cradle patient files

Shalebridge Cradle patient files

Hello! I have a bit of a question about the Shalebridge cradle level of Thief: Deadly Shadows. I have played it over multiple times but still not found all of the patient files or notes. I found them off thief wiki, maybe that isn't credible but I dont know. is it a situation where I need to play on a harder difficulty to find them all? I only ever played on normal. I am sure I checked everywhere, I would appreciate any information on the whereabouts of the different files and notes. Thanks.

i am pretty sure hardest "expert" setting opens game up a lot more then other settings for all thief games 1/g/2/3

The patient files are extracted from the game's text files. It's possible that in the game itself not all of these text files are used. For example, Abysmal Gale was supposed to have a diary where an important plot point about the ship's captain is revealed. The text is in the game's files, but the diary itself was not added to the level. You can read one of the developers admitting that here:

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=1#post1226782
    Last edited by vrubayka; 4th Sep 2023 at 03:08.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Frann View Post
    Hello! I have a bit of a question about the Shalebridge cradle level of Thief: Deadly Shadows. I have played it over multiple times but still not found all of the patient files or notes.
    A quick search reveals that four out of the nine are missing in the game. The five that are in are all in the first map in the original game. Two in the basement (so you find them early in the game), three in the staff tower (so you find them relatively late). Since about half are missing, it's easy to assume that they belong in the second of the original maps - would also mean that they are likely to be found in between the ones in the basement and those in the staff tower.

It should be OK to add these to the Thief 3 Gold version of the Cradle before the final (and imminent) release of version 1.4 - any suggestions on where to place them?

Quote Originally Posted by vrubayka View Post
    Abysmal Gale was supposed to have a diary where an important plot point about the ship's captain is revealed. The text is in the game's files, but the diary itself was not to the level. You can read one of the developers admitting that here:
    Thanks for the link - missing stuff that can be verified as having been left out by mistake should clearly be fixed in T3 Gold... Edit: The journal (First Mate's log) is already in the map - it's just inaccessible. Easily fixed...
    Last edited by snobel; 4th Sep 2023 at 03:17.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    It should be OK to add these to the Thief 3 Gold version of the Cradle before the final (and imminent) release of version 1.4 - any suggestions on where to place them?
    Up the chimney of the fireplace in Shalebridge Cradle!.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i am pretty sure hardest "expert" setting opens game up a lot more then other settings for all thief games 1/g/2/3
    At least on "Ambush" it's au contraire, you get new passages/indoors on lower difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Frann View Post
    Hello! I have a bit of a question about the Shalebridge cradle level of Thief: Deadly Shadows. I have played it over multiple times but still not found all of the patient files or notes. I found them off thief wiki, maybe that isn't credible but I dont know. is it a situation where I need to play on a harder difficulty to find them all? I only ever played on normal. I am sure I checked everywhere, I would appreciate any information on the whereabouts of the different files and notes. Thanks.connections game
    Of course if you play it on higher difficulty you will encounter more challenges.

Is there any way to take a look at the missing case files or the book from the abysmale gale? Since itīs not ingame but apparently in the games files? If yes, where can I find them?

I was able to unpack the data2.cab file from my Thief 3 DVD with a programm called "unshield" for the Linux operating system. Somewhere in the heaps of files that were extracted, you can find that mate's log from the "Abysmal Gale" mentioned in that other thread. You can also find patient files, but I did not count how many these were. I do not know a Windows program that can extract .cab files made with Install Shield (which apparently was used for Thief 3), though, so one would have to search for that on the internet oneself... I'm having enough to do already at the moment.

Sneaky Upgrader
    The missing case files (and the mate's log) have been restored in the latest version of Thief 3 Gold.

All the files are actually present in the game install even though some are missing in-game originally. You can find them in Content\T3\Books\English:

Code:
    HHbabyurnfile.sch
    HHbirdgirlfile.sch
    HHclockfile.sch
    HHdancerfile.sch
    HHfireladyfile.sch
    HHgourmetfile.sch
    HHkingnoonefile.sch
    HHlenseguyfile.sch
    HHsleepwalkfile.sch

DOC3mateslog.sch

Thank you so much snobel!! This is so cool to read, since I never got to read the other files.

This one intrigued me especially:
    "Entry One: Patient admitted self to Shalebridge after a nervous episode. Probably not a danger to self or others. Will observe and allow patient to rest and recuperate. Will probably be released and be able to return to his clock-working job shortly. - Doctor Ranker\n

\nEntry Two: Patient accidentally given electrical treatments with unfortunate consequences. Total psychosis. Extremely dangerous to others. Unpredictable. Sandbridge recommends further treatments to mitigate results of initial treatments. Patient may be allowed his clock-working tools to perform repairs in the Shock Therapy room only – under supervision, of course. – Doctor Ranker"

I think this is one of the many things that makes the shalebridge cradle so creepy. It was an asylum for insane people but if you look closely, those doctors werent quite in a healthy mind themselves

Sneaky Upgrader
    That's true - and the worst part is that those case stories could well be inspired by events from early psychiatry which apparently had its share of real Dr Rankers.

Yes indeed. This stuff really happened back then. People didnīt understand the humanīs psyche and had the honest believe that they could cure it over the body. So heat treatmeants, water treatments, electrical treatments, all that stuff was done to sick people, believing they could cure them through it. Itīs so crazy.
    And then there were also those doctors that were exploiting the patients, doing experiments on them so they could improve their sience. No one cares if a sick person with no family dies after all

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Up the event ticketing system of the fireplace in Shalebridge Cradle!.
    That will work!

so they made a copy of that mission with no objectives for thief 2, i wish they would just add the objectives so i can play it in thief 2 new dark to see if it still has that creepy feeling original had