TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Random Architecture

Actor Chris Pratt and wife are catching a lot of flack for demolishing a mid-century house in Los Angeles that was considered architecturally important: https://www.archpaper.com/2024/04/ch...immerman-home/

What a twat!

Surely you mean, what a prat.

Found some more images of the Zimmerman House.

https://www.tiktok.com/@vintageonq/v...nder_device=pc

Doesn't do much for me, architecturally or historically. Looks a bit institutional and bland. There are a lot of similar homes replacing genuine character houses where I live. Maybe in a hundred years it will look beautiful... oh, right.

You're right I meant Chris Twat.

The pics you posted don't do the house justice. Of course it's not on the same level as a Frank Lloyd Wright house but it's very much a representation of styles of interesting 1950's Southern California architecture. Of course without protections people are free to destroy whatever they can purchase but the outrage is because of the loss of the architecture that was a part of studies and also it a part of the community fabric. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I know there are bigger problems in the world but as someone who loves midcentury modern/modernist architecture I am so incensed that this idiot had this beautiful house razed, likely to build just another gaudy soulless mcmansion ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by rachel View Post
    I know there are bigger problems in the world but as someone who loves midcentury modern/modernist architecture I am so incensed that this idiot had this beautiful house razed, likely to build just another gaudy soulless mcmansion ugh.
    That's exactly what him and his wife are building. The architect building their new house is known for building McMansions. They sold their big expensive mansion and now live across the street from their in-laws: The Schwarzenegger's.

https://www.archpaper.com/2024/04/gr...ng-heart-yard/

GROUPWORK’s latest project in London’s Farringdon neighborhood reinstates the facades of eight historic buildings demolished in the 1960s. Located at 8 Bleeding Heart Yard, the office building’s new enclosure was designed using aluminum screens that mimic the original stone. It rests on the structure of the demolished building’s successor, a nondescript midcentury office.
    GROUPWORK developed a proposal in which the appearance of the original row historic buildings would be restored and the existing structure reused. Floorplate expansions and a rooftop level would also be added in order to reclaim the original footprint of the block.
    The intention was never to copy or fully reconstruct the demolished structures. Instead, Taha describes it as an exercise in “edited memory.”
    Despite the accuracy of its silhouette, 8 Bleeding Heart Yard’s irregularities become legible up close. The facade is actually a thin metal screen permeable to natural light and the building’s columns don’t quite reach the ground, appearing to float several inches above the pavement. There is also a discreet asymmetry to the structure—as if elements have been moved or deleted.

The before:

Gouda, Netherlands

The brutalist architecture was definitely too brutal. The new old Gouda looks way better.

I like that a lot better too.

I don't care for the London building though. It looks kind of brutalist and those big pillars don't quite reach the ground. I used to spend a lot of time in London back in 2010-2014 and never cared much for the odd mix of architecture there.

Sinjar Yezidi temple, Iraq. On the left is the original, destroyed by jihadis in 2014. On the right is the 2021 reconstruction

I saw that castle on a series that showcased strange hand built homes. It's pretty cool.

I watched a TikTok and something came up about a wealth Chinese couple that supposedly bought a castle in France, removed a staircase and shipped it to China, then abandoned the castle. I couldn't find anything on the webs about it but didn't try that hard. I did find a website that showcases nine abandoned French castles/Chateaus which is pretty cool. It's interesting to me to see so many French castles surrounded by moats as it seems like they made use of them more than anyone else but it could be a coincidence.

https://frenchly.us/abandoned-chateaux-in-france/

It would be nice to see some of those re-made into homes. The UK series Grand Designs featured some historic buildings converted into homes, including Peel Castle in Yorkshire, which is now a B&B. The specialty engineering, structural repairs, modern plumbing, electrical, and safety standards make it a daunting proposition. And preservationist rules can get in the way. So it takes an uncommonly motivated person to make it happen. I wish we could make it easier, so these historical structures can live again rather than rot.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678